FlyerTalk Forums (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Best use of MR points - Air Canada's Aeroplan? (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1143928-best-use-mr-points-air-canadas-aeroplan.html)

jmw2323 Nov 7, 10 10:24 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by super-mileage-fan (Post 15078464)
Yes, AC is best for MR. I got $.17cpm retail. No transfer fees.

nothing is the best all the time. my recent trip jfk-gva/fra-jfk was 68k in J via ANA, instead of 80k via Aeroplan.

joesmoe Nov 7, 10 10:25 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmw2323 (Post 15092136)
nothing is the best all the time. my recent trip jfk-gva/fra-jfk was 68k in J via ANA, instead of 80k via Aeroplan.

ANA is also very highly rated. I love their intl F too. Their lounges in NRT leave much to be desired though.

ANA is neat because award tickets are priced depending on distance flown, not zones.

sfernando Nov 7, 10 10:38 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccqueenanne (Post 15087029)
Also, what was the exception required for the London stopover? It has something to do with stopovers only being allowed in US hub cities?

These rules still confuse me. Thanks!

They are indeed confusing. Standardization among the carriers for both booking rules and redemption levels would be a great service to travelers who want to stay within the alliance. In all likelihood, it ain't gonna happen!

As you are learning, each *A member has different rules and conditions for booking an alliance-wide award. US, for example, requires that an award stopover can only occur in an alliance carrier hub city and that you have to fly that carrier either in or out of the stopover point. By contrast, Aeroplan has no such rule.

In the case of the awards for our Turkey trip that were booked through US, the LHR hub carrier would have been BD. So, naturally, they initially made a big fuss that we'd need to fly in or out of LHR on BD, for which there was no award availability (nor did I have the slightest desire to fly them). After explaining that the carrier did not actually fly to IST, our final destination, they relented and allowed the stopover as an exception.

If you want to extract the max value from alliance awards using either earned or purchased miles, you need to get familiar with: a) award redemption levels among the partners; b) the various rules and limitations; c) which carriers generally offer the best award availability on your desired routes (using tools like ANA or KVS); d) which credit card offers the best feed of earned miles to your preferred alliance booking portal (e.g., Amex MR, Amex SPG, etc.); and e) what occasional deals are out there at any point in terms of partner bonuses (e.g., US buy/gift/share) or credit card incentives (Chase BA 100K offer) that effectively reduce the true cost of an award ticket.

SFO777 Nov 7, 10 10:48 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 15077517)
Aeroplan can definitely be a good use of MR points, but it probably isn't always the "best." Other airlines do instant transfer (CO and DL at least) and there are probably some routings that are cheaper on other programs than Aeroplan.

If you know of another airline program that can get you TATL First for 100K, TPAC First and RTW First for 120K, plus instant Amex transfer, I'd love to hear about it.

joesmoe Nov 7, 10 10:51 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 15092281)
If you know of another airline program that can get you TATL First for 100K, TPAC First and RTW First for 120K, plus instant Amex transfer, I'd love to hear about it.

Also BOA WorldPoints Transfer.

jmw2323 Nov 7, 10 11:32 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 15092281)

varies as some are place to place, while some are miles flown for rewards. I am east coast USA. For europe i use ANA, for asia, i would use aeroplan.

TATL through ANA for me is also 100k. to the middle east from JFK, is 140k in F via ANA. It's 190k via aeroplan

fayewolf Jan 11, 13 9:23 am

Hi all- I just recently jumped on the amex plat 100k promo and will have about 120k total in MR. I would like to travel to Europe, would aero plan be the best place to transfer? I'm flying out of SFO.

I couldn't quite understand why people will go thru so much trouble to use avios from BA to avoid the fuel surcharge and not use this to access star alliance. Am I missing something?

mia Jan 11, 13 9:29 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fayewolf (Post 20025059)
...couldn't quite understand why people will go thru so much trouble to use avios from BA to avoid the fuel surcharge and not use this to access star alliance. Am I missing something?

Aeroplan also collects fuel surcharges on flights operated by some, but not all, carriers. Review this short thread in the AC forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...rd-travel.html

fayewolf Jan 11, 13 9:47 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mia (Post 20025105)
Aeroplan also collects fuel surcharges on flights operated by some, but not all, carriers. Review this short thread in the AC forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...rd-travel.html

Okay, so I feel really dumb. Does it mean if I use aeroplan to book united flights , there will be no surcharge?? Doesn't UA have a lot of flight to Europe?

mia Jan 11, 13 9:50 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fayewolf;20025231...
if I use aeroplan to book united flights , there will be no surcharge?

Correct.

fayewolf Jan 11, 13 9:53 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mia (Post 20025247)
Correct.

Thank you mia. So why are people complaining about it and have to use the BA avios and go through like Brazil to go to Europe? Is it because they are wanting to use a certain carrier (UA business not luxurious enough etc??) just trying to see if I'm missing something..

mia Jan 11, 13 10:04 am

The key is to see if Aeroplan has availability on UA or US on the routes and dates that you need in the cabin that you prefer. Remember that UA may make award seats available for their own program, but not for partner programs such as Aeroplan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fayewolf (Post 20025271)
...So why are people complaining...

1. Some people earned BA Avois through other methods (e.g. Chase BA VISA), or transferred from Membership Rewards to BA during a promotion, and subsequently discovered that using the Avois for travel between the USA and Europe is expensive.

2. Some people regard UA and US seats and service inferior to, say, LH or other Star Alliance members for which Aeroplan does collect fuel surcharges.

3. Some people are concerned about the general trend in which "free" tickets have become "discounted" tickets with very restricted availability.

yulhammeryyz Jan 11, 13 12:44 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9700; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mia
3. Some people are concerned about the general trend in which "free" tickets have become "discounted" tickets with very restricted availability.

In some cases not even discounted...

fayewolf Jan 11, 13 1:32 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by yulhammeryyz (Post 20026599)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9700; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

In some cases not even discounted...

I went into the aeroplan site to do a mock check on random dates in April, I see availabilit from SFO to Paris and London back to SFO. Airlines were Scandavanian and united. One short trip from London to frankfurt (on my way back from london to SFO) was on Luthansa.

I cannot check whether or not any crazy fuel charges were involved.. it says 90K miles

FlyAO2 Jan 11, 13 4:29 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mia (Post 20025346)
The key is to see if Aeroplan has availability on UA or US on the routes and dates that you need in the cabin that you prefer. Remember that UA may make award seats available for their own program, but not for partner programs such as Aeroplan.

Problem is Aeroplan charges you more miles than UA/US, but it is what it is....