Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to get your complaint heard by Amex?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: spg, hyatt diamond, amex platinum, star alliance gold, priority pass
How to get your complaint heard by Amex?

In Sydney, I am very annoyed with the level of service I am getting as Platinum card holder. No one is taking ownership & accountability to follow up and resolved customer issue professionally and efficiently.

I am one step away from taking my complain externally.
Just before I do that, your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:07 am

You could post details on flyertalk and it will be vetted by a few members as worthy or not worthy. Amex also has a US based lurker on Flyertalk.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Prem, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold,
Originally Posted by spice
In Sydney, I am very annoyed with the level of service I am getting as Platinum card holder. No one is taking ownership & accountability to follow up and resolved customer issue professionally and efficiently.

Thanks
Because you clearly tried everything like calling, escalating and writing a letter to Amex.....

Good luck with going "external'.

Last edited by mia; Nov 20, 2010 at 4:47 pm Reason: Moderator removed personal characterization.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spice

Thanks
Yes, tried everything like calling, escalating and writing a letter to Amex.
Even have got several team leaders forwarding the complain to the appropriate department, and follow up for a day later, promising that the appropriate person will call me back... but it never happened!! This has been on going since late August...

Any suggestion on how to escalate further?
Thanks
Old Nov 20, 2010, 5:19 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The problem, as you have described it, sounds typical of customer service at many mass market organizations. I don't think there is any recipe for obtaining satisfaction because your business is not important enough to warrant individual attention at the level required. I know this isn't what you want to hear, I know American Express would hotly deny it, but this is my conclusion. (To be sure there is no misunderstanding, I think this is the case with every mass market enterprise without exception. It's not specific to American Express.)

If you want to pursue the matter by telephone I would begin each conversation by asking, "Do you have the authority to [insert specific action]?" If the answer is no, ask to speak to the next level. However, my hunch is that the decision would require someone who simply will not speak with you.

If you want to pursue the matter in writing, hire a lawyer to write on your behalf.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
The problem, as you have described it, sounds typical of customer service at many mass market organizations. I don't think there is any recipe for obtaining satisfaction because your business is not important enough to warrant individual attention at the level required. I know this isn't what you want to hear, I know American Express would hotly deny it, but this is my conclusion. (To be sure there is no misunderstanding, I think this is the case with every mass market enterprise without exception. It's not specific to American Express.)
To add to the above, every organization is going to have a small number of situations that go wrong enough that the cost of fixing them is more than the value of retaining the customer. I think that in such cases, some companies deliberately don't step to bat to fix the problem, even if they tacitly realize it's their fault.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve M
To add to the above, every organization is going to have a small number of situations that go wrong enough that the cost of fixing them is more than the value of retaining the customer. I think that in such cases, some companies deliberately don't step to bat to fix the problem, even if they tacitly realize it's their fault.
Totally agree....
Old Nov 21, 2010, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia

If you want to pursue the matter by telephone I would begin each conversation by asking, "Do you have the authority to [insert specific action]?" If the answer is no, ask to speak to the next level. However, my hunch is that the decision would require someone who simply will not speak with you.

If you want to pursue the matter in writing, hire a lawyer to write on your behalf.
Spot on Mia. Thanks for the thought, guess I am better of taking my business elsewhere

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.