Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

How long does it usually take for USA MR points to post ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2007, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M

I just opened my first AMEX MR card and was expecting the bonus and regular points from spending to post a few days after the statement closed. Its been a couple weeks and neither have posted. I just noticed that the offer mentioned that the bonus points will post 6-8 weeks after first purchase. How long do the regular points take to post?
Old Oct 24, 2007, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Points post after you pay the bill, not after the statement closes. You should see them ~5-7 days after the close of the following month where the payment was processed.

Not sure about the bonus points.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 7:46 pm

Programs: Skymiles, AMEX, Bonvoy, IHG Plat, Alaska MVP 100K
I notice that it takes about 30 days. You have your current points accumulating, last month's pending and the month's before last posts when the current statement closes. That's how it works for me anyway.

You can call AMEX and have them accelerate the points too.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 4:38 pm

Time Before Bonus Points Post??

I upgraded to the Platinum about a month ago with a 50K bonus point offer, and a few weeks ago I bought a new Lenovo laptop through the Bonus Points Mall (Triple points), and I was curious how long it will take before these bonus points show up in my account. I know it says generally 6-8 weeks after purchase, but I was under the impression it would post sooner..

Any thoughts?
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:28 am

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by swf83
I know it says generally 6-8 weeks after purchase, but I was under the impression it would post sooner..

Any thoughts?
I think they would post somewhere between 6 and 8 weeks. What made you think it would be any sooner?
Old Aug 5, 2008, 5:43 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
How long does it take MR points to post??

I just got an Amex Business Gold last month. I spent about $600 on it and my statement ended July 28th. Points didn't post to my account. Then I noticed something about needing to pay your balance in full first, so I paid my entire balance on Saturday August 2, and payment was posted that day.

I should be getting the points for my spending, along with a 5000 pt first purchase bonus. Is it unusual that they wouldn't have posted by now, 8/5?
Old Aug 5, 2008, 11:03 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I believe they will post shortly after you statement cycles. You are correct that it has to be paid. Let's say your payment is due the 15th. You pay on the 5th. Your points will still post after the 15th. Now, if you didnt pay on time, you won't get the points.

You can call and accelerate the points posting after you have paid if you need them for something specific.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 11:45 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I believe they will post shortly after you statement cycles. You are correct that it has to be paid. Let's say your payment is due the 15th. You pay on the 5th. Your points will still post after the 15th. Now, if you didnt pay on time, you won't get the points.

You can call and accelerate the points posting after you have paid if you need them for something specific.
Thanks. I did call this morning because I was too impatient, and the rep said basically the same thing - that I had to wait til my payment due date to make sure I paid my bill on time. She said the 5000 bonus points would come then too.

I guess I am more used to the SPG AmEx model of business, where once your statement is issued, you get your points right away.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 1:30 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
im on a corporate amex and it seems to take forever.. the points are in pending status for a month (sometimes you see them when you log in, sometimes they go blank before appearing in your account). Its a very buggy and slow system, but they can speed it up if you need to do a points transfer (as long as your account is up to date).
Old Aug 6, 2008, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA, AS, BA, DL Plat, Chase UR, Diners, UA, F9, WN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Amex MR.
Originally Posted by pitbrian
im on a corporate amex and it seems to take forever.. the points are in pending status for a month (sometimes you see them when you log in, sometimes they go blank before appearing in your account). Its a very buggy and slow system, but they can speed it up if you need to do a points transfer (as long as your account is up to date).
Ditto.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 1:02 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
When do MR points post? Odd numbers in my online statements...

So, I have a Gold Card and my statement ends around the 15th of the month. However, when I look at my statement, I notice that I get points posted on the 1st or 2nd of the month.

I've had different MR earning cards for the past couple years, but haven't ever really paid any attention to when the points post or anything like that until today.

My statement shows this:

Jan 2, 2010 Earned: Premier Rewards Gold Card-XXXXX 2,879
Jan 2, 2010 Pending: Premier Rewards Gold Card-XXXXX 4,462

However, my ending statement balances were not near either of these numbers... these appear to be some sort of random numbers.

Also, the 2,879 points just posted today (or maybe yesterday sometime) which is the ending day of my statement. But, again, that is not my statement amount or anywhere really related to it. My statement ending balance was $3993.98. So, that balance doesn't seem to be related at all to the amount that was "earned", but could be the "pending" amount since I get 2x points on some categories (gas, etc).

So, what does that mean??? I "earned" 2,879 on Jan 2nd (but just posted yesterday or today) and there are still 4,462 pending? If so, when are they supposed to actually post?!

And somewhat OT, but I also looked and I have some points that have been pending for the past couple months or so (like 50 here and 50 there) that I'm not quite sure about either.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks a lot!
Old Jan 18, 2010, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521
So, I have a Gold Card and my statement ends around the 15th of the month. However, when I look at my statement, I notice that I get points posted on the 1st or 2nd of the month.

I've had different MR earning cards for the past couple years, but haven't ever really paid any attention to when the points post or anything like that until today.

My statement shows this:

Jan 2, 2010 Earned: Premier Rewards Gold Card-XXXXX 2,879
Jan 2, 2010 Pending: Premier Rewards Gold Card-XXXXX 4,462

However, my ending statement balances were not near either of these numbers... these appear to be some sort of random numbers.

Also, the 2,879 points just posted today (or maybe yesterday sometime) which is the ending day of my statement. But, again, that is not my statement amount or anywhere really related to it. My statement ending balance was $3993.98. So, that balance doesn't seem to be related at all to the amount that was "earned", but could be the "pending" amount since I get 2x points on some categories (gas, etc).

So, what does that mean??? I "earned" 2,879 on Jan 2nd (but just posted yesterday or today) and there are still 4,462 pending? If so, when are they supposed to actually post?!

And somewhat OT, but I also looked and I have some points that have been pending for the past couple months or so (like 50 here and 50 there) that I'm not quite sure about either.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks a lot!
Can't tell you why it's the way it is, but I absolutely concur about the confusion factor. Having multiple Amex cards feeding one MR account myself, I try to track my earnings and postings regularly. It sure seems that Amex's presentation of this data is klutzy at best and (if one were paranoid) could be interpreted as being designed to maximize obfuscation and customer confusion.

It would be much clearer if there were a simple monthly calendar-based earning/posting system and tabular report format regardless of when a particular card cycle closed. It would then be easier to correlate your Amex payments in a given month with MR postings in the subsequent month or whenever.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 1:09 pm

Programs: United 1K, AMEX Plat, Priority Club Plat, Starwood Gold
This is something that I have always wondered about as well. I track it pretty closely, but there are some months and some promos that seem to post in a peculiar fashion (slightly wrong). If there is ever a major problem you can call membership rewards / AMEX customer service and they will walk you through how the statement was calculated and what transactions posted to a promo, etc.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:51 pm

If you have Premier Rewards card, U get 2x the miles for grocery and gas purchases and 3x for airline purchases. So if U made any of those, your point balance would be bigger than the actual corresponding money balance.

Also, the points which post are the points that you've earned from a statement, which is the one before the last statement. They post with about 1 month delay.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 4:17 pm
Company Representative - Amex

Hi All,

Just a little clarification with the Membership Rewards program; the points normally post 7-10 days after your statement closing date. If you are viewing your statement and the points do not seem to match up, they may not because there is a delay of around one month for the points to appear on your statement. Regarding bonus points they usually points after the promotion date. I am aware that a lot of the promotions have a timeframe of around 6-8 weeks for the points to be issued.

I do also want to let you know that if there were any credits on the account, points may be deducted for that.

If you ever feel like you are not getting the correct amount of points or some are missing, you can always contact us on FlyerTalk or via customer service at the number on the back of your card.

I hope I was able to be of some help.

Rachel
Amex Customer Care

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.