Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

How long does it usually take for USA MR points to post ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long does it usually take for USA MR points to post ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2010, 6:45 pm

When do points post?

I looked around and could not find the answer, possibly because it is so simple.

I am a new MR person but have lots of experience with other CCs. About all of them post points fairly quickly after the statement closes.

I got a new AMEX (50K bonus after $500 spend, targetted ) and never had a MR account before, just the Delta card.

The statment closed over a week ago and nothing has posted. No points for purchases and no bonus.

Do points based on spending usually post soon after the the statment closes and could there be an issue with the new account? I have read some accounts of the bonus taking 6-8 weeks so I am expecting a delay on those.

Thanks
Old Jun 3, 2010, 7:39 pm

Programs: Frontier Ascent, Marriot Silver Elite
Originally Posted by mileshound
I looked around and could not find the answer, possibly because it is so simple.

I am a new MR person but have lots of experience with other CCs. About all of them post points fairly quickly after the statement closes.

I got a new AMEX (50K bonus after $500 spend, targetted ) and never had a MR account before, just the Delta card.

The statment closed over a week ago and nothing has posted. No points for purchases and no bonus.

Do points based on spending usually post soon after the the statment closes and could there be an issue with the new account? I have read some accounts of the bonus taking 6-8 weeks so I am expecting a delay on those.

Thanks
I signed up for the exact same offer and was wondering the same thing. I found on the FAQ's on the website that it could take two full billing cycles for MR points to show up. My second cycle ends in about a week, I am still showing 0 MR Points. I guess I am going to give it a couple more weeks then shoot an email out. My question, is there always a 60 day lag for points to post? Or is this just for brand new members.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 8:59 pm

They usually post within a couple days of the end of the next billing cycle. If your statement closes on May 31, the points will post within a couple of days of the closing of your June 30 statement.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 5:56 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by tvetter01
They usually post within a couple days of the end of the next billing cycle.
Provided you have paid the statement in full as required.

You can ask Customer Service to manually post pending points as soon as your payment has been posted, or you can use the Points Advance feature to borrow the points which have not yet posted, but I do not know if either of these features are offered on very new accounts.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 7:00 pm

I have the same card from the 50k points promo. You can see your pending points by looking in your point balance (link is on the right of your page where you see recent activity/charges. usually I see my pending points a few days after close of billing cycle, and the become permanent at the end of the following. the 50k hit a few days after hitting the 500 spending. the 15k additional points hit pending column soon after billing cycle close when the 30k spending was hit. (per promo offer).

As suggested, you can send a friendly email to customer svc playing "dumb" and asking when points would hit, and they will usually credit the points from pending to permanent. Keep an eye on airline ticket purchases, there's bonus points for the ticket itself and another bonus for using amex travel website, I caught them crediting me for the ticket, but not the bonus for the amex website. when they discovered the error, they credited the bonus plus another 5k points as "goodwill".
Old Jul 14, 2010, 1:22 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
How long does it usually take for MR points to post ?

I am fairly new to MR cards. My last statement closed on June 21, but no points have posted to my account, yet. With my other credit cards, miles/points usually post within two days. Is this the norm for AMEX MR?
Thanks.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 1:41 pm
mia

The points will post around the end of the current billing cycle, provided you have paid the previous statement balance in full. Once you have made the payment you could ask American Express to manually post the points if you need them sooner.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 2:58 pm

Thanks Mia, I will call because my previous (first) bill was already paid in full, and I am still waiting........
Old Jul 14, 2010, 9:06 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
Typically points will post with the statement after the one in which the points were earned. For instance, if you spend $500 in a billing period that ends 7/1, you won't get credited the points until the next statement closes on 8/1.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by dinosims
Typically points will post with the statement after the one in which the points were earned. For instance, if you spend $500 in a billing period that ends 7/1, you won't get credited the points until the next statement closes on 8/1.
Yes, that was the answer I received from AMEX tonight in response to my email to them. They did post my points a week early for me.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Keep in mind that if you have an Amex charge card linked to the MR account, you can borrow a certain number of points against future earnings. So, if you need some points a few weeks early (or even just the two weeks between when your payment is due and when the statement ends), you can much more easily "borrow" them and transfer them where needed and then have the "loan" repaid when the points actually post.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 9:43 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
My Plat card account closes on the 28th of the month. Typically, points will post shortly after the next month's closing. For example, points from the period that closed May 28th posted around July 1st.

I have more than 40k points from my activity period that closed June 28th. I callled Amex yesterday (July 30th) to see if points were pending, and if they could post them a little sooner as I wanted to use them. I was told they could not accelerate the posting of the points and, further, the points were not scheduled to post until August 28th (two months after the closing of the relevant statement). I explained how it "normally" works with my account and enquired as to whether there was a change in policy. I was told there was no policy change, and the timing is how it's always been.

I said my goodbye to the representative who asked (I guess according to his script) "if there is anything else he could help me with today." I said "no," but should have pointed out that he hadn't helped me, so "anything else" really wasn't appropriate to our discussion.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 10:15 am
mia

Originally Posted by CopperSteve
My Plat card account ...I have more than 40k points from my activity period ...sooner as I wanted to use them.
You can borrow up to 60,000 through the Points Advance feature. The "loan" will be automatically repaid when the pending points post.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 1:24 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
When do points post to AMEX card?

Hello,

Hopefully got a simple question that can be answered. My fiance got an AMEX Premier Rewards Gold Card about 6 weeks ago. She's already made the 1st months payment, yet hasn't received any points to her account.

If you click on the statement details tab, for the month of Oct is says "Earned 50,000 points on Oct 12th" and for the month of Sept it says "Pending XXX points". But again on the summary tab it says 0 points. It does say that the card is Enrolled in the program.

Am I missing something or an extra step?

Thanks!
Old Oct 23, 2010, 2:00 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
No, you're not missing anything. The points to Amex MR stay pending until the next statement. When the next statement closes, the new points will become 'pending', and the points that are currently 'pending' will become 'real' points and show up in your account balance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.