Wiki Posts
Search

Any downsides to SPG Gold?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA1k, AmEx Plat, Global Entry & Pre✓
Any downsides to SPG Gold?

I've heard this is the best AMEX card. What are the downsides? I don't spend a lot each year with CC purchases, so the $45 fee is enticing.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:42 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
There is no "gold" Starwood Preferred Guest credit card. If you spend $30,000 on the card in a calendar year you will receive SPG Gold elite status, perhaps that's where the confusion arose?

The SPG credit card is a good product, but it isn't the "best" card for everyone. (In particular the transfer rate from SPG to UA is unattractive.)

What type of rewards do you want to earn? (Be specific, a card that's great for international business class airfare may be mediocre for domestic economy flights). How much do you expect to spend on the card? What hotel chains do you use?
Old Jun 30, 2010, 3:45 pm

This offer might help you with your decision: http://flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-...-spending.html
Old Jul 1, 2010, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Downsides? Probably a high interest rate. May or may not be relevant.
Upsides? Lots of airline partners, most with good transfer ratios (when you factor in the 5k bonus for 20k transfers). Some (CO/UA I think) have terrible transfer ratios though, so if those are your airlines, look elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.