Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Redeem MR for USA-Australia/New Zealand [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redeem MR for USA-Australia/New Zealand [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2011, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

If you only need 180,000 DL miles, I would not bother with this particular promotion. You would only get back 60,000 miles (3 x 20,000), for a net cost of 120,000 MR points. Effectively, you would be getting a 50% bonus on 120,000 MR points. But there is currently a different promotion that gives you an immediate 50% bonus on MR transfers to DL, and earns you elite status, as well. That's the one I would utilize if you decide to redeem DL miles for VA flights.

The 50% bonus offer requires pre-registration at Delta's website before transferring the MR points. Details can be found by doing a Google search for "50% Medallion Amex". (I'm sure that there's an FT thread on the promotion, but I could not readily find it with my BlackBerry.)
150k miles for 90k MR is better than 145k miles for 90k MR. 40% MR points back is definitely a better promotion.

Can you combine two promotions? OP can do 150k MR for 150k miles + 60k MR back. Then use the 50% bonus to transfer 20k MR to 30k miles. So, 110k MR to 180k miles.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 8:38 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by vrbaba
150k miles for 90k MR is better than 145k miles for 90k MR. 40% MR points back is definitely a better promotion.

Can you combine two promotions? OP can do 150k MR for 150k miles + 60k MR back. Then use the 50% bonus to transfer 20k MR to 30k miles. So, 110k MR to 180k miles.
DL is quite anti-stacking when it comes to MR promos, so I'd say no, it won't stack.

Calling DL is the way to check VA award space, and the DL forum reports that there's really good availability.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"150k miles for 90k MR is better than 145k miles for 90k MR."

Yes it is, but the OP needs 180K Sky Miles, not 150K. He would not get any points rebated for the additional 30K points he would need to convert, as the rebate is only offered for transfers of blocks of 50K miles. So in the end, he would end up with a net transfer (after rebate) of 120K MR points to get 180K DL Sky Miles, but would not get the Silver Medallion status he would earn if he did the straight 50% transfer.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by mtkeller
DL is quite anti-stacking when it comes to MR promos, so I'd say no, it won't stack.

Calling DL is the way to check VA award space, and the DL forum reports that there's really good availability.
I am not talking about stacking. I am asking if one can potentially use both promos mutually exclusively - apply promo1 for 150k transfer, and apply promo2 for 30k transfer separately.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
LAX-SYD-LAX on QF using BA miles is 80K on coach (Y) + $625.77 ()

80x2=160K BA=106.xK MR (until 7/31) + 1251.xx ()

I see availability on November, you can even get a stopover on AKL
Old Jul 27, 2011, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by mtkeller

The best way to check Virgin Australia award availability is to sign up for a Velocity rewards account and look for award availability under the rewards column.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
The best way to check Virgin Australia award availability is to sign up for a Velocity rewards account and look for award availability under the rewards column.
Do we know how accurately that availability maps to availability with DL miles? Sure, if it's not available to Velocity Rewards members, it's not going to be available to DL, but it's conceivable that VA would have some inventory not available to partners.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 5:59 pm

All VA inventory under the 'Reward' column maps to DL partner availability- not the 'Any Seat' availability.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 1:01 am

All VA inventory under the 'Reward' column maps to DL partner availability- not the 'Any Seat' availability.
Good to know. Veering a bit OT, but we've never had an answer to this on the DL board, and you seem to know what you're talking about. Can domestic Australian segments be used on partner award redemptions if there's no long-haul VA flight? For instance, can I tack on CNS-SYD to a DL redemption where the long-haul flights are all on KE and MH?
Old Jul 29, 2011, 4:50 am

With a DJ code, no, and Velocity.com isn't showing any domestic availability under the VA code.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 3:29 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwoord Gold, Amex Centurion, Global Entry
Also the DL flight is very good, the beds are great and the flight is just long enough to get a good sleep, two meals and movies.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 9:09 pm

The problem being DL availability is significantly less- sometimes to the point of being non-existent.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 2:51 am

The problem being DL availability at sane mileage rates is significantly less- sometimes to the point of being non-existent.
Fixed that for you. I think for 370K miles you could get a business seat if the flight is J1. However, I think even a SkyPeso billionaire would be reluctant to spend that many miles for the trip. (And given how bad DL.dumb is at pricing things, you might find it pricing out at 450K or 500K.)
Old Nov 27, 2011, 6:38 pm

I know this is an old thread, but could someone explain how I would do the routing of "continuing" on from LAX to NYC after an LAX originated flight to SYD? I'd like to book an award ticket from LAX to SYD soon if possible - so also would appreciate any suggestions. Can't find the routing on AA - not sure if no availability or that routing (LAX-SYD) just isn't working. I have MR points as well as AA, UA and Starwood.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Originally Posted by haplology
I know this is an old thread, but could someone explain how I would do the routing of "continuing" on from LAX to NYC after an LAX originated flight to SYD? I'd like to book an award ticket from LAX to SYD soon if possible - so also would appreciate any suggestions. Can't find the routing on AA - not sure if no availability or that routing (LAX-SYD) just isn't working. I have MR points as well as AA, UA and Starwood.
If you use AA miles for a one-way All-Partner award from SYD to the U.S., you are entitled to a free stopover at the North American gateway. So, for example, SYD-LAX (stop) - JFK would cost the same number of miles as SYD-JFK only. Since AA does not fly out of SYD on its own metal, you have to call AA to book a SYD-LAX or SYD-LAX-JFK award.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.