Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Redeem MR for USA-Australia/New Zealand [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redeem MR for USA-Australia/New Zealand [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2010, 8:10 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
First of all, Air New Zealand has 2 seats available on many days in October for Business Class upgrades. Delta has a number of days available for Business Class seats. My sense from a cursory look is that you'll have no problem.

There are too many options. My recommendation is that you go to www.expertflyer.com and sign up for a free five day membership. I purchase and renew each year as I find it to be very valuable. Then once you are a member, you can search a number of airlines for rewards seats. One caveat is to search from a major city - in your case, I used Los Angeles. Not only did you not tell anyone where you live or where you are flying from, it is easier to find flights from major airports. And if you can't get a connection as part of the ticket, it is probably still worthwhile to pay for that ticket and just be happy you're in the front of the plane for the long haul to Australia.

Good luck - but expect to do some of your own legwork here. You find the flights, you transfer miles to that airline or to a partner in the alliance, you have them ticket your flights and then you look in a mirror and smile - sounds complicated but it's only hard the first time. Air New Zealand is part of the Star Alliance so you can transfer to either Air Canada or ANA. Most people on FT seem to like Air Canada more. Again, good luck.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 11:29 am

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mia
There is no need to transfer until you have confirmed availability of the award or upgrade. Points transfer from Membership Rewards to Delta instantly.
Sorry - I wasn't as clear as I intended. You are right, Mia, transferring the points after you know the upgrade is available - in the case of the OP. I read it that they already knew the upgrade was available and needed information on how many miles/points would be needed for the actual upgrade.

Cannot emphasize this enough. You don't need to transfer MR until you've confirmed that the award seat/upgrade space is available. You can literally do this while on the phone with an agent. The CO agents are used to it. Aeroplan, DL and others are too.

I *really* hope this doesn't turn into a "I transferred 215K AMEX into DL and can't use any of them" thread... 215,000 MR points is a lot of value to be lost.
Again, I agree - and would think the OP would only transfer the points needed which is why I provided the award information links.

Since I have never transferred my AMEX this way, I was unaware that it was an instantaneous process. I'll file that away for future reference in case I ever need to do the same.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by miffSC
Since I have never transferred my AMEX this way, I was unaware that it was an instantaneous process. I'll file that away for future reference in case I ever need to do the same.
Its by far one of the most valuable aspects of AMEX Membership rewards.

Important Note: Transfers are not immediate for ALL partners.

For example, ANA takes 2-5 days. I can confirm CO, DL, AC, BA, AZ, WN, and VS are all practically instantaneous.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 6:18 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
combine all advice

Use them in this order.
Link all your accounts to Amex, BUT do NOT transfer ANY points.
These accounts take 2 weeks at times to get linked for the first time.

Search ANA for star alliance awards
search for flight search, which allows you to search many options - upto 8 in 1 query.
You can put in e.g., IAD-SFO, IAD-LAX, LAX-SYD, LAX-AKL, SFO-SYD, YVR-SYD IN 1 SEARCH (or you search them one by one day by day)

make a sheet detailing C inventory for 2 people
Construct the trip you need.

Call AC and book 2 awards in C - give them specific flight numbers;
ask them hold tickets for 3 days
THEN
transfer 230 k points to AC and call them to pay for your trip in 1 day.

Don't worry, 6 of us went in C & F (even before I knew about Flyertalk) and I was able to look up united inventory on their website for 2 people and book with US miles with little help.
215 miles + 15k miles advance will get you there on AC.

You are allowed one stopover so we went to AKL and had a stop over in SYD as well on the way back.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by ffI
Use them in this order.
Link all your accounts to Amex, BUT do NOT transfer ANY points.
These accounts take 2 weeks at times to get linked for the first time.
Wise advice, though linking accounts is usually instant IME.

Originally Posted by ffI
Call AC and book 2 awards in C - give them specific flight numbers;
ask them hold tickets for 3 days
THEN
transfer 230 k points to AC and call them to pay for your trip in 1 day.
AC will not hold awards unless you already have the appropriate number of miles are in your account. If you find what you need with AC and don't have enough miles, you have to transfer and book immediately.

CO will hold awards without miles in the account, but its a higher redemption to Australia.

Originally Posted by ffI
Don't worry, 6 of us went in C & F (even before I knew about Flyertalk) and I was able to look up united inventory on their website for 2 people and book with US miles with little help.
215 miles + 15k miles advance will get you there on AC.
Points advance is a great feature to top off accounts if you are just short of an award. Amount you can advance depends on what card you have with AMEX. 5K, 15K and 60K are typical.

Originally Posted by ffI
You are allowed one stopover so we went to AKL and had a stop over in SYD as well on the way back.
AC allows 2 stopovers. One in each direction.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 1:54 am

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
The US-Oz route on Qantas is very popular and it is extremely difficult to get classic award seats in biz or first unless it's 10-12 months' ahead. I don't think you'll be able to get 2 biz class tickets with your points. With the QFF scheme, it's minimum of 192,000 points per biz class ticket ie SYD to LAX return. It's easier to get an award flight on BA to Oz via the US.

Last edited by Ozchinois; Apr 26, 2010 at 4:33 pm
Old Apr 26, 2010, 10:39 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Also, bear in mind you have to buy a certain class of seat to be eligible for an upgrade. DON'T buy tickets first, thinking you can easily upgrade them - the bare bones economy tickets are usually not upgradeable.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 6:55 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by awpeters
Wise advice, though linking accounts is usually instant IME.
Points advance is a great feature to top off accounts if you are just short of an award. Amount you can advance depends on what card you have with AMEX. 5K, 15K and 60K are typical.
AC allows 2 stopovers. One in each direction.
Thanks for the info. If you can not do the points advance, I would also suggest buying miles if needed, also quite fast to top up account. In the overall cost / value of the tickets, 10k points at 2.5 each =250$ well worth it.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 11:04 pm

using amex points to fly from los angeles to australia

what is the best way to use Am Ex points to fly business or first class from Los Angeles to Australia?
Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:45 am

Probably transfer them over to Continental or ANA to book a flight on Air NZ.

You might want to check out this link:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...+from+the+Wing)
Old Jan 30, 2011, 7:32 am

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
air canada's aeroplan has very good redemption options, can transfer to aeroplan and fly Singapore, AirNZ, etc

you may find this of interest

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...d-itineraries/

Last edited by Tim O'Brien; Jan 30, 2011 at 8:28 am Reason: typos
Old Jan 30, 2011, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Find the seats you want on V Australia. Transfer the points to DL for redemption and take the bonus that comes with. One of the best values for a premium seat to Oz.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
sbm12

when you say find the seats you want on V Australia, are you referring to award seats or any seats?
Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Tim O'Brien
sbm12

when you say find the seats you want on V Australia, are you referring to award seats or any seats?
Award seats.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 11:43 am

thanks for all of the good suggestions. Are there travel agencies that specialize in doing this (transferring points) or is this something best done yourself?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.