Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When Do You Pay Your Amex Charge Card Bill?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2010, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AMEX Centurion (And All That Goes With It)
When Do You Pay Your Amex Charge Card Bill?

I was wondering when people on here pay their AMEX Charge Card (Green, Gold, Platinum, Centurion) bills? When the bill becomes due, AMEX gives you a pay by date two weeks later. However, the account is not past due for 30 days. I recently learned this, and have waited until a couple days before to pay my AMEX bill. Why? Because my 10k + per month I spend on AMEX is better off sitting in my account than being eagerly transmitted to AMEX (interest, higher avg account balance). Am I the only one who delights in waiting up until the wire? I used to pay my bill the day of, but that never seemed to be appreciated.

Last edited by andrewpartyman; Jan 20, 2010 at 3:40 pm
Old Jan 20, 2010, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
you forgot the Zync card is an official charge card as well... I always pay by the amex due date as I do not want to see "30 days late" on my credit report.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 4:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
First thing I do on the day my Platinum statement starts anew is go on-line and find out what my "Closing Date" is for this new period, and that's the day I make sure my payment (for the now-currently-due previous bill) goes in by.

The "Due Date" we see on statements is probably a remnant of the days when people only had checks and the Post Office to get their payments in, to ensure it got to AmEx in the mail soon enough.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 4:35 pm

Well my German Amex card allegedly allows for 28 days after the statement date..However they are kind enough to grab the cash within a few days of me receiving my statement. I also noticed that recently the month became about 4 days longer! It was odd that this also happened to be when a few extra transactions went through, hence the could grab the cash for them more quickly.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 4:36 pm

Amex used to have EROC, WROC, etc. You could walk into these Amex buildings the day your statement cycled 5 minutes before 5pm and it would post that day. Then you had another 2-5 days for your check to clear.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 4:38 pm

Wait who really cares anymore...I do not care if your statement is $100,000.00. I do know anyone getting a more that a couple percent on checking...Other than some teaser promos at 4.5% that limit you to 25k..
Old Jan 20, 2010, 4:45 pm

It's not always about interest, though.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 5:08 pm

Is it like that Seinfeld episode where Kramer sees how far he can go in the dealer test drive car when the gas indicator shows empty just for the feeling? If so I am guilty of doing the same.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion
... just for the feeling?
Nah, I work for a living and would rather wait for a receivable to arrive than pulling money out of my accounts unless necessary.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 5:50 pm

I have the discontinued fidelity amex platinum. It pays via direct debit from my fidelity account on the same day my account closes (e.g. there's no float once the statement closes). The card offers $75 off of the annual fee -- I figure its essentially a wash vs. money market float.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
I have gotten emails from Amex saying " Your Payment has not arrived yet" about a week after the listed due date. Im not sure if that is a new thing or not.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 9:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I pay the day the first day of each cycle. That way, I don't have to worry about forgetting and winding up forking out $$$ in interest.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 9:07 pm

Mine is just set to auto pay from my checking account. It pays on the stated "due date" each month.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
I noticed that last year my statement said "Please Pay By". Now that I have a "credit limit" on my Platinum card, the statement clearly says "Due Date".
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:43 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Plat: instant i get a statement
Delta Reserve: Instant i get a statement (though not always in full, depending on if ive gotten reimbursed for my charges yet cover paying it)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.