Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

U.S. Membership Rewards to British Airways transfer bonus

Old Dec 18, 2009, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver

I know there is an existing thread about the fact that exchanges can now be made between MR and BA but to those who don't want to read the whole thing:

The first time you transfer MR points to BA, they will give you a one-time 5,000 point bonus - it doesn't matter if you transfer 1,000 points or 50,000. So this morning, I transferred 1,000 points to BA and when the bonus posts, I'll get a total of 6,000 for my efforts. No - it won't take you far but it seems to good to pass up. Thought I'd pass it on.

Last edited by mia; Dec 18, 2009 at 8:09 am Reason: Update title to reflect USA offer
Old Dec 18, 2009, 8:07 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Details are on this page...

http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...lFreqFlyerProg

Hover over the Limited Time Offer block to see this...

In honor of this new partnership, you can receive 5,000 bonus BA Miles when you transfer Membership Rewards points to British Airways before January 31, 2010. You must be enrolled in the British Airways Executive Club in order to participate in this offer, visit www.ba.com to enroll. Bonus Miles will be awarded by February 28, 2010. One bonus per Cardmember. Taxes, fees, charges & surcharges, including airline surcharged, apply
Old Dec 18, 2009, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
1000 pts. transfer showed up in my BA account within an hour of the transfer. Now just need to wait the time for the bonus. Great deal! Thanks!
Old Dec 18, 2009, 3:16 pm

So x 4 for household accounts?

I'll definitely do this, but I'm wondering if I can do 1,000 MR points to the BA accounts for myself, my wife, and our kids, and then collect them all in one household account. So far, only my wife and I have accounts (for the Chase Visa promotion). But I can add the kids in and link them to my MR account pretty easily.

So anyone know if it's once per account, or once per household account?

This is my first time dealing with a household account.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
This Is a one time transfer bonus for each Amex MR account.....so if you have numerous MR account you might be able to get several bonuses. Bonus has nothing to do with how many BA accounts you have.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 3:57 pm

hmmm...I would have expected someone to post the fine print by now from Amex. Does anyone know if they will bother charging your account if you only move 1000 miles? (.0006 x1000=60 cents)

<<,For each conversion of points into the Frequent Flyer program of a U.S. airline, an excise tax offset fee of $0.0006 per point, with a maximum fee of $99 will be charged to your Card account. We charge this fee to offset the federal excise tax we must pay on such conversions. The fee may be more or less than the actual amount of the excise tax we pay on any individual conversion. We may offer you the option to redeem points to pay this fee. >>
Old Dec 18, 2009, 4:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Centurion
hmmm...I would have expected someone to post the fine print by now from Amex. Does anyone know if they will bother charging your account if you only move 1000 miles? (.0006 x1000=60 cents)

<<,For each conversion of points into the Frequent Flyer program of a U.S. airline, an excise tax offset fee of $0.0006 per point, with a maximum fee of $99 will be charged to your Card account. We charge this fee to offset the federal excise tax we must pay on such conversions. The fee may be more or less than the actual amount of the excise tax we pay on any individual conversion. We may offer you the option to redeem points to pay this fee. >>
There's your answer. BA is not a US airline. No charge for a conversion. I did one earlier today. Total cost: $0.00

But don't get too excited. BA will make up for it when they charge you all their taxes and fees for that 'free' ticket.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 4:01 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
For each conversion of points into the Frequent Flyer program of a U.S. airline...
British Airways is not a "U.S." airline.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 4:03 pm

Here's the best I could find, term-wise:

"In honor of this new partnership, you can receive 5,000 bonus BA Miles when you transfer Membership Rewards points to British Airways before January 31, 2010. You must be enrolled in the British Airways Executive Club in order to participate in this offer, visit www.ba.com to enroll. Bonus Miles will be awarded by February 28, 2010. One bonus per Cardmember. Taxes, fees, charges & surcharges, including airline surcharged, apply."

I'll dig for more. But it does say "one bonus per Cardmember. I assume that means Amex cardmember, and I have four on this Amex account, so I might be able to make that work, at least for those four, two of whom are on my household account.

Last edited by josephstern; Dec 18, 2009 at 4:04 pm Reason: fixed weird formatting
Old Dec 18, 2009, 4:03 pm

wow you are quick!
Old Dec 18, 2009, 4:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
wow you are quick!
Just here to help.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 8:26 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold
All right I moved my 1000MR over. Let's wait for that bonus to show up in February. Thanks for the info, OP and Gleff's blog.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 2:22 am

Thumbs up

Thanks for the heads up! Used 1000 points from the 15,000 I got for the new Gold card, to add to the 100K BA miles I got from the Chase card. And I can move the rest over later if I need them, for grand total of 120K+ BA miles -- love how these deals add up!
Old Dec 19, 2009, 10:04 am

Does anyone know yet if this bonus comes from AMEX or from BA.

There are two questions to be answered, and I couldn't get a straight answer from AMEX nor could I wait on the phone for 45 minutes to talk to BA yet.

1. If I transfer 1000 MR from 2 different MR accounts (i.e. mine and my brother--assume he doesn't want BA miles) into my single BA Account, will I get 2 bonuses?

I assume this is true if the bonus comes from the AMEX side.

2. If I transfer 1000 MR from my 1 MR account into 2 different BA accounts, will both BA accounts get a bonus?

I assume this is true if the bonus comes from the BA side.

Does anyone know?

Its possible neither will work, but it seems you should be able to double dip in at least 1 of the above ways.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
see post 5

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.