Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Find card benefits and updated information for every AMEX card issued in the USA here: http://www.americanexpress.com/us/co...-benefits.html

https://www.americanexpress.com/en-us/credit-cards/credit-intel/purchase-protection/

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/features-benefits/policies/purchase-protection-terms.html

Print Wikipost

American Express Purchase Protection

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:09 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Marriott/Ritz-Carlton Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum, AC SE, MPC SL
How often on average you claim purchase protection?

I have been with Amex (both Plat and Gold) since 2012. Never needed to claim anything until March 2016 (CDN$250) and now I need to claim another one for CDN $1162 (I know limit is $1k). Bought an iPhone yesterday, dropped it today, and of course instead of just dinging the body, the screen decided to crack and shatter.

Wondering if this is "too often" so I'd like to survey the FT group to see how often you guys use this benefit on average?

Hope to see some interesting data points...
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Apologies if this is answered upthread - my search turned up lots of info on one or the other, but not comparing the two directly.

I'm buying a new camera today, and have both an unbranded Amex Plat and a DL-branded Amex Reserve card. Both USA-based.

Before getting the Reserve card, I'd always put purchases like this on the unbranded Plat for the additional purchase protection/extended warranty. From my quick read of the T&Cs for both cards, it looks like the return protection, purchase protection, and EW for both of these cards is equivalent.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...0#cardbenefits

Is my read on them correct? If so, I'd rather put the purchase on the Reserve card to hit a MilesBoost target, but I will not if I'm losing any of the protection/warranty stuff.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
Apologies if this is answered upthread - my search turned up lots of info on one or the other, but not comparing the two directly.

I'm buying a new camera today, and have both an unbranded Amex Plat and a DL-branded Amex Reserve card. Both USA-based.

Before getting the Reserve card, I'd always put purchases like this on the unbranded Plat for the additional purchase protection/extended warranty. From my quick read of the T&Cs for both cards, it looks like the return protection, purchase protection, and EW for both of these cards is equivalent.

Is my read on them correct? If so, I'd rather put the purchase on the Reserve card to hit a MilesBoost target, but I will not if I'm losing any of the protection/warranty stuff.
Those are just the card T&Cs I think. I'd read the full purchase protection and extended warranty T&Cs:

http://www.americanexpress.com/us/co...ion-terms.html
http://www.americanexpress.com/us/co...nty-terms.html
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Purchase Protection offered by AMEX Platinum and AMEX DL Reserve are very different.

AMEX Platinum has a higher claim limit than AMEX DL Reserve. Also, misplacement/loss is covered by AMEX Platinum but not AMEX DL Reserve.

If you are buying a camera, the chance is you get more protection from AMEX Platinum than AMEX DL Reserve.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Marriott/Ritz-Carlton Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum, AC SE, MPC SL
Originally Posted by JCFans
I have been with Amex (both Plat and Gold) since 2012. Never needed to claim anything until March 2016 (CDN$250) and now I need to claim another one for CDN $1162 (I know limit is $1k). Bought an iPhone yesterday, dropped it today, and of course instead of just dinging the body, the screen decided to crack and shatter.

Wondering if this is "too often" so I'd like to survey the FT group to see how often you guys use this benefit on average?

Hope to see some interesting data points...
I wanted to follow-up that RSA (on behalf of Amex) processed my claim very fast. Here are the timelines:

1) Submitted a claim over the phone on Jul 21.

2) Received an email with what documents are required on Jul 22.

3) I was asked to mail all the documents since this is my 2nd claim. All documents mailed on Jul 25. Four documents were asked (credit card statement showing the type of AmEx card and purchase, repair quote, pictures of damages, and original purchase invoice).

4) RSA received documentations on Jul 27.

5) The agent processed my claim on the same day and informed me a cheque has been issued (via mail) on the same day. Timeline will follow regular post office timeline.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by JCFans
I wanted to follow-up that RSA (on behalf of Amex) processed my claim very fast. Here are the timelines:

1) Submitted a claim over the phone on Jul 21.

2) Received an email with what documents are required on Jul 22.

3) I was asked to mail all the documents since this is my 2nd claim. All documents mailed on Jul 25. Four documents were asked (credit card statement showing the type of AmEx card and purchase, repair quote, pictures of damages, and original purchase invoice).

4) RSA received documentations on Jul 27.

5) The agent processed my claim on the same day and informed me a cheque has been issued (via mail) on the same day. Timeline will follow regular post office timeline.
The purchase protection/extended warranty is probably the #1 reason I'm hanging onto an Amex. I put everything else on an instant 2% back card. Most other cards have many exclusions and may require you claim against your homeowner's insurance as a primary or are just not as user friendly.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by garykung
Purchase Protection offered by AMEX Platinum and AMEX DL Reserve are very different.

AMEX Platinum has a higher claim limit than AMEX DL Reserve. Also, misplacement/loss is covered by AMEX Platinum but not AMEX DL Reserve.

If you are buying a camera, the chance is you get more protection from AMEX Platinum than AMEX DL Reserve.
Are you sure? I started reviewing the actual policy documents hytekjosh linked to for Plat vs. Reserve and haven't spotted any differences so far.

Both list a $10k per incident limit and include:
Covered Incident means the loss or theft of, or damage, whether by accident or vandalism, to any one item of property purchased worldwide as a gift or for personal or business use and charged to Your Account.
Both policy documents also contain the same set of exclusions.

For comparison, the PP policy for the DL Platinum card lists a $1k per incident limit and describes:
Covered Incident means the theft of, or damage, whether by accident or vandalism, to any one item of property purchased worldwide as
a gift or for personal or business use and charged to Your Account

Am I missing something critical?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:58 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Unlike most other American Express cards, I believe Reserve has the same Purchase Protection coverage as Platinum. Consider the language from three cards:

GREEN
Covered Incident means the theft of, or damage, whether by accident or vandalism, to any one item of property purchased worldwide as a gift or for personal or business use and charged to Your Account
PLATINUM
Covered Incident means the loss or theft of, or damage, whether by accident or vandalism, to any one item of property purchased worldwide as a gift or for personal or business use and charged to Your Account
RESERVE
Covered Incident means the loss or theft of, or damage, whether by accident or vandalism, to any one item of property purchased worldwide as a gift or for personal or business use and charged to Your Account.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Am I missing something critical?
I made the mistake that AMEX imposed a higher PP limit for DL Reserve.

Still AMEX imposes a higher limit in other areas for AMEX Platinum, like Baggage Insurance.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 4:08 pm

Programs: AS GOLD, AA EXP, SPG PLAT, Marriott PLAT
Recently lost a high value item (more than 3k) and filed for PP with my AP. Anyone knows how long they take to process the claim? It used to take them 2-3 business days earlier but its been 7 days now.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 4:31 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by noobConsultant
It used to take them 2-3 business days earlier but its been 7 days now.
You lose a lot of $3000+ items?

All kidding aside, I suspect it depends on the individual circumstances of the loss, the type of item it was, and also how backlogged American Express's insurance claims group is.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by noobConsultant
Recently lost a high value item (more than 3k) and filed for PP with my AP. Anyone knows how long they take to process the claim? It used to take them 2-3 business days earlier but its been 7 days now.
Depends on the value and the circumstances. I broke my phone screen and did a claim for $140 and they put the money in my credit card in about 2 days.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: AS GOLD, AA EXP, SPG PLAT, Marriott PLAT
Originally Posted by jspira
You lose a lot of $3000+ items?.
haha my dog peed on a $40 handbag once and Amex reimbursed me for it. Havent lost something this expensive ever. Amex is spoiling me
Old Nov 2, 2016, 7:34 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Purchase Protection Question

I'm going to be traveling around Africa in March and I'm thinking about switching over to the Sony A6300 vs the Canon 60D for size and practicality purposes. I know Amex provides purchases protection against theft (something I'm reasonably concerned about with Dakar and Accra) but I just want to make sure there are no exclusions in their coverage in regards to theft outside of the United States, etc.

I have no problem purchasing travel insurance for these trips but I can choose a lower plan if I'm comfortable with Amex's coverage.

I'm likely leaving in March for two weeks so I'll probably buy the camera sometime in Feb or early March. I beliueve coverage is only good for 90 days.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 7:37 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I do not recall any geographic exclusions, but follow the link in the Wikipost to read the terms for your specific card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.