Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Find card benefits and updated information for every AMEX card issued in the USA here: http://www.americanexpress.com/us/co...-benefits.html

https://www.americanexpress.com/en-us/credit-cards/credit-intel/purchase-protection/

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/features-benefits/policies/purchase-protection-terms.html

Print Wikipost

American Express Purchase Protection

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2007, 11:24 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by aviators99
In my opinion, they would be worth posting.
Originally Posted by bhd87
Post the pics!
i need to get them from my friend --- we'll see if he can dig them up.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA, US, DL, UA, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver
Wow, I forgot about this. I just took a shirt out of the wash from Banana Republic that is now filled with ink stains since my son left the pen in his pocket. I can just file a claim with Amex?
Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:58 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by ladiflier
Wow, I forgot about this. I just took a shirt out of the wash from Banana Republic that is now filled with ink stains since my son left the pen in his pocket. I can just file a claim with Amex?
Less than 3 months since you bought it?
Old Jul 13, 2007, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat,Delta Plat, WN A-list & CP,SPG Plat, HiltonH DM,Hyatt Plat,Amex Centurion, Hertz Plat
This week this program just refunded the total amount less shipping of a laptop I paid for with the Amex, dropped it.

Last edited by rifle57; Jul 13, 2007 at 2:23 pm
Old Jul 13, 2007, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by rifle57
This week this program just refunded the total amount less shipping of a laptop I paid for with the Amex, dropped it.
Did you have to send a damaged laptop back?
Old Jul 13, 2007, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by rifle57
How much $, if you don't mind me asking?
Old Jul 14, 2007, 7:31 am

Programs: AA Plat,Delta Plat, WN A-list & CP,SPG Plat, HiltonH DM,Hyatt Plat,Amex Centurion, Hertz Plat
yes, I did have to send it in, the process took about 30 days. After my 1st call, they email you a form to fill out and sign, simple, not complicated. They mention in this paperwork you “may have to send it in”. After a week or so, they informed me I did need to send it in. Finally after a couple more weeks they notified me that the full amount would be credited to my account. That’s it. About 1900.00

Here's what they say:Your waitress just spilled Beaujolais Nouveau down the front of your brand new sweater. Or you lost your brand new sunglasses - good thing you bought them with your Platinum Card®.

Protect Your Purchases — The Purchase Protection Plan1 protects eligible purchases made with the Card in the event they are accidentally damaged, or stolen or lost for up to 90 days from the date of purchase.

Worldwide Coverage — Purchases made worldwide with the Card are eligible, including gifts purchased for others.

Up to $10,000 Per Occurrence — Coverage is limited to up to $10,000 per Occurrence, up to $50,000 per Cardmember Account per policy year, and is in excess of other sources of indemnity.

Eligible Cards — This enhanced benefit is available to Platinum Card® and Centurion® Card members.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 8:49 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, Aeroplan, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Membership Rewards
I'm reading that some are claiming things such as shirts and sweaters... And wondering if AMEX reports in the 'CLUE' database like automotive insurers and the like do; and I don't want to jeopardize my other insurance policies. Has anyone heard of AMEX dropping people due to filing too many claims, and/or "substantial" amounts?

Last edited by PatATL; Jul 14, 2007 at 9:04 pm Reason: Syntax
Old Jul 17, 2007, 7:01 am

Just wanted to report my first experience with Amex Purchase Protection for my Rewards Gold Card. $230 purchase of earrings damaged and reported on July 6 over the phone - CSR says most likely no need for paperwork to be faxed in, hold onto to earrings, but probably no need to send those in either. Credit to account for $230 (including S&H charges - which aren't covered) posted to my account today, July 17. Kudos and thanks to Amex! ^^

On a seperate note, 90th post - Coupon Connection, yeah!!
Old Jul 25, 2007, 11:43 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Is this just for Platinum card holders or all Amex cards?
Old Jul 25, 2007, 12:03 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by TravisMT81
Is this just for Platinum card holders or all Amex cards?
Purchase protection applies to most if not all, but with different exclusions and limitations. For example, loss, I believe, is only included on Plat and Cent.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 2:28 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
thanks for the info!
Old Jul 26, 2007, 4:43 pm

Benefit pages:

GOLD
https://www124.americanexpress.com/c...tBenefitDetail

Plat:
https://www143.americanexpress.com/c...protectionplan

Only difference i can see is 'Loss' for Platinum
Old Jul 26, 2007, 10:18 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by mlrtime3
Benefit pages:

GOLD
https://www124.americanexpress.com/c...tBenefitDetail

Plat:
https://www143.americanexpress.com/c...protectionplan

Only difference i can see is 'Loss' for Platinum
If you follow this (click on the complete details) you can get the pdf T&C: https://www.onlineclaim.americanexpr...e&productId=06

From the T&C, Platinum & Centurion cover loss and have a $10,000 per-incident limit vs. $1,000 for gold. Also, plat/cent cover computers & their components, as well as one of a kind items (jewelry, watches, furs), but only up to $2500/occurrence.

Also note that this is secondary coverage and may require you to file a primary claim on your homeowners or other relevant policy. I would assume they'd end up covering the deductible.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 8:23 pm

I would like to correct myself regarding what I posted before. I have been reviewing T&C and is now specificly states :"Coverage under Purchase Protection is EXCESS; this means that if, at the time of Occurrence, you
have other valid and collectible insurance or indemnity - such as but not limited to homeowner's or renter's
insurance - Purchase Protection will cover that amount not covered by such other insurance or
indemnity, up to the limits of Purchase Protection"

I remember last year their claim form and T&C stated it was primary. Did they just recently changed it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.