Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA Centurion now "Invitation Only"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2009, 12:37 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by Rambuster
Count yourself lucky you didn't get one!
I've had the card for quite some time and my conclusion is that it's just wallet jewelery ... which I don't need.
Same issue for me. Downgraded to Plat when the fees jacked (I was on the $1K grandfather program)... and now downgrading to New Gold Rewards... since it gets 3X rewards on US flights... etc.

$175 per yr for the card, same limits as my Cent... (and my Plat), no charge for secondary cards... i.e., "I miss out on Travel Support, and *Concierge*, but save $650 a year in fees..."

No brainer...

P

ps... when you downgrade, just keep your Cent... u can still use it as jewellery, and, even better, don't activate the new card until the expiry date of the old Cent... u can *use* the Cent card, while it really is Gold/Plat/Green... since card processing is identical. (AND YES, I've been doing this for 2 years, so it works... AND DOUBLE YES, I keep my "real" card as backup, if it ever declined for some reason...).
Old Oct 21, 2009, 7:47 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
Note to Avalon 28. The word "Schmuck" is actually a descriptive adjective. "Putz" might have been more appropriate. How's the KIA running?
Old Oct 21, 2009, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by ZbadhabitZ
Like many of the other people in this thread, I've made note of what type of cards people use to pay for things when out in public. I, too, have some acquaintances who I would consider high-level, though only one even has a Centurion card. I can think of another person in particular, an "A-List" actor with beyond comprehensible amounts of wealth, that has not only never been offered a Centurion card, but has no interest in pursuing one (he does have a PLAT).

I agree with the above, though, that the customer who ups their spending to hit $250k is not the target for Centurion. The target is, obviously, the big spender who does not really have a regard for their spend, but casually hits $250k in a year, and has a pattern of doing so. Despite the travel benefits that CENT allows for, they clearly do not target the big traveler (but as I see, the traveler who does not bargain hunt for the cheapest ticket, but spends enough to ensure upgrades from the benefits CENT does offer).

I think AMEX made a good move by moving back to truly Invitation Only, and hope that they can do enough to weed out the customers to water down CENT, and truly make it a prestige.

+1 on most of what you've said. I have a good friend, and top NHL player, who refuses to get the centurion because of the one time fee up front and the annual fee of $2500. That is money he could be using on something else, and using it for membership purposes isn't his thing.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by ZbadhabitZ
Like many of the other people in this thread, I've made note of what type of cards people use to pay for things when out in public. I, too, have some acquaintances who I would consider high-level, though only one even has a Centurion card. I can think of another person in particular, an "A-List" actor with beyond comprehensible amounts of wealth, that has not only never been offered a Centurion card, but has no interest in pursuing one (he does have a PLAT).

I agree with the above, though, that the customer who ups their spending to hit $250k is not the target for Centurion. The target is, obviously, the big spender who does not really have a regard for their spend, but casually hits $250k in a year, and has a pattern of doing so. Despite the travel benefits that CENT allows for, they clearly do not target the big traveler (but as I see, the traveler who does not bargain hunt for the cheapest ticket, but spends enough to ensure upgrades from the benefits CENT does offer).

I think AMEX made a good move by moving back to truly Invitation Only, and hope that they can do enough to weed out the customers to water down CENT, and truly make it a prestige.
I think it's a good move too, and hope that it helps get more perks.

I disagree with you regarding who their target customer is. If they only wanted customers who casually hit $250k per year, they would mandate a spending threshold that would match that group. Perhaps over $150k/year every year, and over $250k one out of every 3 years, etc. It would be really easy to implement. However, they choose not to. In fact, they have lowered some Centurion-holder's spending limits to under $150k/year! They have also made it nearly impossible to impose such restrictions by implementing the "initiation fee".

As it stands (and as proven by several posts above), once you get the card, you don't have to spend more than the annual fee to keep it, along with all its benefits.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by aviators99
I think it's a good move too, and hope that it helps get more perks.

I disagree with you regarding who their target customer is. If they only wanted customers who casually hit $250k per year, they would mandate a spending threshold that would match that group. Perhaps over $150k/year every year, and over $250k one out of every 3 years, etc. It would be really easy to implement. However, they choose not to. In fact, they have lowered some Centurion-holder's spending limits to under $150k/year! They have also made it nearly impossible to impose such restrictions by implementing the "initiation fee".

As it stands (and as proven by several posts above), once you get the card, you don't have to spend more than the annual fee to keep it, along with all its benefits.
I think what he was saying is that Amex is targeting card members who have a consistent annual spend, not necessarily 250K, but a consistent high dollar spend.

I think when Amex implemented the $150k and $250K spend requirements, they assumed they would get those types of cardmembers. Amex ended up getting a number of cardmembers who met the spend requirements just to get the card and the following years the spend dropped to the level of their previous average spend.

By changing to "By Invitation Only" it allow Amex the flexibility to review card member history and see their average spend and where they make those spends before sending an invite. It also allows them the flexibility around any "spend requirements" they have or had. I think Amex wants Customer A who spends a consistent average of around $100K annually over a number of years then Customer B who just met the spend requirement for that year.

Last edited by SteveT; Oct 24, 2009 at 9:43 am Reason: Added more information
Old Oct 24, 2009, 9:58 am

Programs: Biz Plat, Biz Cent etc
I agree with SteveT. Amex has a spend-centric business model, they like alot of consistant spend over a long period of time.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 2:46 pm
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
In my case, they got the consistent spend, but never took notice. I rarely received the "gifts", which were selectively targeted, and when I objected to the fee rise, having been told, in writing, I was "grandfathered", they basically ignored me.

I had originally gotten the Centurion because it was also offered to so called "Charter Members", that is, existing cardholders who had joined at the beginning, in years 1958 to 1963. I never understood how they would let my six figure annual spend just walk out the door, especially when they had run into so much trouble with collections last year. I finally reasoned that those of us who came in under the "Charter" program, may have been put in a separate database, viewed as "contaminants". My first Black card was embossed with the words, “Charter Member”. Subsequent cards were not

I just took my spend to a Visa Signature from B of A/US Trust, downgraded my AMEX to a $55 Senior Gold (they have such a product, but don’t promote it on their website), and moved on.

It strikes me, from a marketing perspective, that the Centurion is a clever product. The empirical evidence, however, would seem to suggest that mantra doesn’t extend to the people running it.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 10:02 pm

Programs: Black and Platinum all over....
For the record, Canadian Centurion (which was only launched in the past year) is also ONLY by invitation. They won't even take your call unless you get the huge invite package....which I received this year.
Unfortunately, the Canadian priviledges are somewhat watered down from the US ones...but there are a few nice ones.
I for one, accepted the invite, beleiving and hoping that the perks will increase vs decrease as the membership roster grows.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 3:36 am

Programs: LX HON, Emirates Skywards Gold, HH diamond, Hyatt plat
Originally Posted by Rambuster
German Centurion customers can have 1 additional card for personal use plus one Centurion card for soemone else plus up to 5 other cards either in Platinum, Gold or Green.

My dad got the second Cent card on my account and the rest of the family all have Platinum cards. It's all part of the annual fee. I think this is the same accross Europe.
Hi Rambuster, good to see you here as well!
I have a Swiss Centurion Member and I was given two black cards, one additional black to my wife, plus two green cards (one for me and one for my wife) with the Cent account
Old Oct 25, 2009, 3:52 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by SwissHON
I have a Swiss Centurion Member ....
I thought there was no slavery in Switzerland?
Old Oct 25, 2009, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
I thought there was no slavery in Switzerland?
hahahahaha

WOW I made some blogs with my thread, im proud!!

Do I get a card now hahaha
Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:14 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwoord Gold, Amex Centurion, Global Entry
Originally Posted by platinumPizza
Do I get a card now hahaha
[ ] Yes
[X] No
Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:35 pm

Programs: Biz Plat, Biz Cent etc
Maybe we need to start a FlyerTalk petition drive for PlatinumPizza
Old Oct 25, 2009, 2:45 pm

platinumPizza,

As far as Centurion's value, it comes down to your travel and lodging habits.

If you fly first class on Delta, Continental, US Air, or Virgin Atlantic, AND you stay at five star properties, AND you travel more than five or so times a year, then the Centurion Card is worth having.

If not, then it's just an expensive status symbol compared to the AMEX card you already have.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
Originally Posted by SteveT
My theory behind Amex's recent policy to make the Centurion Card by invitation only is that this would allow them to have more autonomy on who gets the card while maintaining exclusivity.
Agree. And it simplifies the "acquisition" process without AMEX's having to disappoint or even anger anyone who thought he or she should qualify.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.