USA Centurion now "Invitation Only"

Old Jun 6, 2010, 4:05 pm
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
Although it is technically a sunk cost, there is a feeling that if you cancel the card, you are just throwing away that $5,000 initiation fee. That doesn't keep me holding on as I have found the card to be valuable for travel... I just hope at some point we get MORE benefits and not less.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 10:43 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, BMI Silver
Originally Posted by scubadu
And yet... it appears you willingly continue to carry the card.

This behavior by many Cent card holders continues to simultaneously perplex and fascinate me...

Regards
Maybe since it's been 5 years, they have already gotten there $5k worth and the normal annual fee justifies their current situation. But who knows about tomorrow.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 6:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by b8b
Although it is technically a sunk cost, there is a feeling that if you cancel the card, you are just throwing away that $5,000 initiation fee. That doesn't keep me holding on as I have found the card to be valuable for travel... I just hope at some point we get MORE benefits and not less.
Well, by that logic, after two years you've also thrown away another $5k on annual fees and then another $5k every two years hence. Pretty soon, the initiation outlay will have shrunk, as a percentage, in terms of total cost, which is what people should care about rather than obsessing about the initiation fee.

At some point, if the card doesn't meet ones needs, they simply have to get over the initiation fee and move on...

Regards
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:37 am

Not sure how invitation only it really is. I called up today for fun to see if there was an invitation and they said I have an invitation for both the biz and the personal. I am missing my platinum already though for my upcoming vegas trip LOL

Last edited by lifeandmylens; Aug 12, 2010 at 1:23 pm
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
Well, by that logic, after two years you've also thrown away another $5k on annual fees and then another $5k every two years hence. Pretty soon, the initiation outlay will have shrunk, as a percentage, in terms of total cost, which is what people should care about rather than obsessing about the initiation fee.
If you use the card soley for business purchases/expenses, you can write-off 100% of the fees associated with the card as a business expense.

If not 100%, then it would be a percentage of your use of the card. For example, if 45% of your charges are for business purchases/expenses, then you can write off 45% of the fees associated with the card.

Last edited by DelrayChris; Aug 18, 2010 at 8:37 am
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by gallardo
Not sure how invitation only it really is. I called up today for fun to see if there was an invitation and they said I have an invitation for both the biz and the personal. I am missing my platinum already though for my upcoming vegas trip LOL
Yes, it is definitely worth calling from time to time if one wants it and thinks he qualifies for it. I don't buy this "invitation only" gimmick, to me it is purely marketing and at some times of the year they can be eager to grab a new client willing to pay high fee.

This has anyway been my experience in France for Platinium : first call a rebuttal ("invitation only"), then second call I was enrolled.

I suggest you let them know from time to time you are interested.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:09 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gallardo
Just curious...I have heard the spend requirements are going up again, what was your spend on Amex before asking?
Old Aug 18, 2010, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AMEX Centurion (And All That Goes With It)
I agree, I think "invitation only" is a marketing ploy. If you inquire a few times, and have a decent expenditure with a Platinum Amex that has had 0 payment issues, I am sure they will take you.

If not, this concerns me as a shareholder of AXP. If there are people willing to fork over $7,500+ so they (and their significant others) can have a 45 cent piece of titanium, and they're not taking advantage of that, I have an issue with that.

As a former Centurion who is more than happy with my Plat, I could care less about obtaining Centurion again. It just isn't worth it. Without Platinum Starwood, Hyatt Diamond, and higher tiers of airline status, not much incentive.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 3:13 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by andrewpartyman
I agree, I think "invitation only" is a marketing ploy. If you inquire a few times, and have a decent expenditure with a Platinum Amex that has had 0 payment issues, I am sure they will take you.

If not, this concerns me as a shareholder of AXP. If there are people willing to fork over $7,500+ so they (and their significant others) can have a 45 cent piece of titanium, and they're not taking advantage of that, I have an issue with that.

As a former Centurion who is more than happy with my Plat, I could care less about obtaining Centurion again. It just isn't worth it. Without Platinum Starwood, Hyatt Diamond, and higher tiers of airline status, not much incentive.
You do realize though if they don't have the requirements and it's basically available to anyone with decent spend willing to drop $7500 it will in the end devalue the program and benefits even more. The partners join on and grant the statuses because of the elite clientele they are reaching in hopes of gaining big spenders to better their bottom lines, the less elite the membership base is the less programs you will have granting benefits.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AMEX Centurion (And All That Goes With It)
Originally Posted by mlad1101
You do realize though if they don't have the requirements and it's basically available to anyone with decent spend willing to drop $7500 it will in the end devalue the program and benefits even more. The partners join on and grant the statuses because of the elite clientele they are reaching in hopes of gaining big spenders to better their bottom lines, the less elite the membership base is the less programs you will have granting benefits.
Good point. I downgraded to Platinum because it seemed every year benefits kept eroding. Hopefully benefits will get better, but I won't hold my breath. It seems that airline/hotel/other loyalty programs are getting by just fine without forking over benefits to Centurion.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 3:54 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I don't interpret invitation only to literally mean don't call us, we'll call you . I think it means only that the formal spending criterion has been eliminated and acceptance is discretionary. There is no checklist to assure acceptance.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:35 pm

Programs: Too many to manage
Originally Posted by andrewpartyman

I don't believe it is a marketing ploy....I've called them 5 times requesting the card, spend $20k+ a month on my Amex Plat (all personal and pretty much all on travel, restaurants, luxury goods) and have never had 'an invitation' on my account. Either I haven't had the Plat card long enough (8 months) or there are other criteria that I don't adhere to.

Oh well....guess I'm saving $7k so that's a bonus.....

stinky
Old Aug 22, 2010, 10:52 pm

Programs: Amex Plat Visa Sig HH SPG gold Virgin AA Priority Pass Prestige
I have had a Plat since the 80's, had a Cent for about 2 yrs, then downgraded

For my purposes,I saw not much difference (except prestige, which i can live without) and besides I could not take advantage of what they had to offer b/c I was running around all the time.The fee is not an issue with me

I am sure Cent holders will disagree with me, but hey, to each his own

arbt1988

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.