Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Booking an extra seat on for POS (Persons Of Size) or other reasons
American Airlines sells adjacent seats for various reasons; the most common one is for persons of size who can't comfortably occupy a single "Main Cabin" (Economy) seat, though others might consider purchasing an extra seat for comfort or to protect items of exceptionally high value. This seat was referred to by AA as "XTRASEAT" or EXST, and this JOHN BROWN
EXST BROWN
is how it will reflect in some documentation. There is no discount for the second seat, which must be purchased in advance; walk up purchases of extra seats will incur full "walk up" fares, if available.

As these can not be booked online, calling will work best; no telephone service charge will be made.

The extra seat does not earn Elite Qualifying or Redeemable miles or earn extra baggage allowances, etc. EQ instruments can only be earned by the individual person occupying a seat on AA (not an empty seat, a "proxy passenger" or animal or inanimate object). In the example above, EXST BROWN will have no AAdvantage earnings.

Extra space during travel Link

For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customers body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
  • When you call to book, Reservations will make sure you get 2 adjacent seats at the same rate.
  • If you didnt book an extra seat in advance, ask an airport agent to find out if 2 adjacent seats are available.
  • You may be offered a seat in a higher class of service that may provide more space; in this case, youll be responsible for the fare difference.
  • If accommodations cant be made on your original flight, you can buy seats on a different flight at the same price as your original seats.
For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customers body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
Other reasons for purchasing extra seats would be for allowed musical instruments, objects of high value such as art works, or materials for human transplantation.
Print Wikipost

Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many years ago, I accompanied parcels in paid F seats that were more valuable than the aircraft. In cases like that, the first class fare was much lower than the price the airline could have charged - lots of money left on the table.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
I have transported pieces of evidence, such as computer equipment, for forensic analysis and trials in seats on AA, UA, US and Amtrak in the past. You get some odd looks, but they had tickets and it was by far the safest way to move them given urgency and importance.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL PM
Originally Posted by phlwookie
I have transported pieces of evidence, such as computer equipment, for forensic analysis and trials in seats on AA, UA, US and Amtrak in the past. You get some odd looks, but they had tickets and it was by far the safest way to move them given urgency and importance.
So I'm rather curious how one goes about buying a seat for an object. Does one just buy two tickets in one's own name and scan both boarding passes at the gate? Does one have to call the airline in advance to do something like this? These are just things I've never thought about before!
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:15 pm

My past employment included worked for a USA Gov sub and we moved valuable assets in pax seats. These assets were not people.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by jhartvu
So I'm rather curious how one goes about buying a seat for an object. Does one just buy two tickets in one's own name and scan both boarding passes at the gate? Does one have to call the airline in advance to do something like this? These are just things I've never thought about before!
Pretty much the same way one purchases an extra seat for space reasons. There's a thread dedicated to extra seat issues.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL PM
Originally Posted by JDiver
Pretty much the same way one purchases an extra seat for space reasons. There's a thread dedicated to extra seat issues.
Well, I've never done that, either. Wasn't aware of the other thread--thanks for moving the posts.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:58 am

Regarding booking an extra seat to ensure that someone does not sit next to me and my wife:

1) Is there much of a risk that we would not be able to sit together, presuming that I book early enough to get three across?

2) Would both the xtraseat and my wife be entitled to free MCE seats, presuming we're on the same PNR? I'm PLT.

3) The better course is to call, rather than book online?

This would be much less expensive than two F seats on some domestic routes, without giving up too much.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by richarddd
The better course is to call, rather than book online?
ExtraSeat cannot (properly) be booked online, so you MUST call if you want to avail yourself of this space. Yes, it can be a wise option vs. domestic F or international C.

Dave
Old May 5, 2017, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Many years ago, I accompanied parcels in paid F seats that were more valuable than the aircraft. In cases like that, the first class fare was much lower than the price the airline could have charged - lots of money left on the table.
I'm just curious, can you share what the parcels were? I'm wondering what could me more valuable than the aircraft.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bendiana
I'm just curious, can you share what the parcels were? I'm wondering what could me more valuable than the aircraft.
Spacecraft components.
Old May 5, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Spacecraft components.
Elon... is that you?
Old May 5, 2017, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Spacecraft components.
I feel like there's a MasterCard commercial in there somewhere.
Old May 26, 2017, 11:51 am

ORD-LAX $100 roundtrip... how do I book a 2nd seat at that price for viola?

saw ORD-LAX $108 roundtrip... how do I book a 2nd seat at that price for viola?

hard to search for it on my mobile and I'm in a labour meeting right now. (pretending to be looking up work stuff ) Meeting doesn't end for another 3 hours and I don't want to miss that $108 roundtrip price.

Can I just book the 2nd seat with "musical instrument" as the name of the pax?

thank you!
Old May 26, 2017, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
You usually need to call to do this properly. See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-xtraseat.html
Old May 26, 2017, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
You usually need to call to do this properly. See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-xtraseat.html
can't really call... since I'm sitting here in a labour dispute meeting for another couple of hours.

i assume if i call aa to book the 2nd seat for an instrument, it won't be at the $108 roundtrip price like my own ticket?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.