Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (consolidated)

This is the archive of older posts for this subject. For the current thread, please see:

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (2015-onward)
Note: Live AA baggage tracking became available 15 Sep 2015.

Track your bags Link
September 18, 2015:

Hello, Addressee,
AAdvantage Platinum Number:

You can now follow your checked bags from check-in to carousel with your smartphone, laptop or tablet. See real-time information about your bag's status, including when your bag is checked in, on a plane or at baggage claim. All you need is your bag tag number or your record locator.

And, if your flight has Wi-Fi onboard, you can track your bags in the air for free.

Here's how to get started:
  • Go to aa.com/baggage
  • Click "Track your bags"
  • Enter your last name and bag tag # or record locator
Keep track of your bags from check-in to touchdown using your record locator or bag tag number.
NOTE: On itineraries with more than one airline, the responsible airline for lost or delayed baggage is the final carrier; that carrier's procedures may differ from AA's. In any case, most do require if you arrive at your destination and your baggage has not arrived (or has been damaged), be sure to fill out a baggage claim form prior to leaving the airport.

American Airlines: Delayed Baggage
:Baggage delayed less than 5 days
Phone: +1-800-535-5225
24 hours, 7 days a week

Baggage delayed longer than 5 days
See www.aa.com/bagstatus for further information.
American Airlines: Delayed or missing baggage:

We do our best to ensure that your checked bag travels on the same flight with you. If your bag does not arrive on your flight, our goal is to return your bag to you within 24 hours. The measures may take longer for international itineraries due to flight frequency or Customs and Immigration procedures.

Note: These procedures apply when American Airlines or American Eagle are taking you to your final destination.

If you are unable to locate your checked bag:

Notify an American Airlines/American Eagle baggage service agent prior to leaving the airport (If you purchased the American Airlines baggage delivery service provided through BAGS VIP Luggage Delivery in advance of travel, notification must be made within 12 hours of the arrival of the flight on which you traveled.)
  • You will be given a confidential file locator ID and a brochure explaining the recovery process
  • Our Baggage Service desk will contact you periodically to keep you informed of our progress in locating your bag (aspirational statement)
  • Refer to your confidential six-letter file locator (not your PNR) in all conversation and correspondence regarding your delayed bag
  • Use your last name and confidential six-letter baggage file locator (not your PNR)to check the status of your bag.Check Baggage Status
If your bag isn't located in five (5) days:
  • Central Baggage Service will take over the tracing effort
  • Fill out and return a Property Questionnaire within 30 days from the date you traveled
  • Available on the 6th day at www.aa.com/bagstatus.
  • Mailed to your permanent address within 10 days of your travel date.
  • Complete the questionnaire in its entirety including specific details such as colors, sizes, brand names and logos as well as information such as book titles, medication, electronics, gifts, souvenirs and food items
  • Retain a copy for your records
Damaged baggage:

Prompt notification of a damaged bag helps us get your property to you promptly therefore all American Airlines and American Eagle airport locations are equipped to handle the initial report, evaluation and settlement of damage claims. If your bag is damaged, please notify us:
  • In person before leaving the airport
  • At the latest, within 24 hours after you receive your bag for domestic itineraries
  • Within 7 days for international itineraries
Please notify us as soon as possible. Failure to report damage to baggage within the prescribed time limit releases American Airlines and American Eagle from any liability.
Wheels, "protuberances" etc. please see:

Notice regarding damage to wheels, handles, and other components of checked baggage

Baggage_Guidance_rev_11242015.pdf (link)

About this Document

In September 2015, the Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings (Enforcement Office) conducted extensive inspections of U.S. and foreign air carriers’ operations at 16 U.S. airports. The Enforcement Office found, among other things, that carriers routinely exclude from liability damage to specific parts of checked baggage, such as wheels, straps, zippers, handles, and protruding parts. Carriers often post signs indicating that they categorically refuse to compensate passengers for such items. In some instances, carrier agents also discouraged or refused to accept reports of such damage.

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage; FAQ.

Link to aa.com LIABILITY LIMITATIONS regarding baggage - but see

USDOT reminder to airlines compensation is due for damaged wheels, straps, etc.

Link to aa.com DAMAGED BAGGAGE

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage tracking form (need baggage claim file locator number to use)

American Airlines Conditions of Carriage (See BAGGAGE et seq., including Liability.)

Q. What can I do to help prevent or resolve baggage loss?
  • Don't place valuables in your checked baggage; such loss is generally not covered by airline policy. Some airports have higher pilferage and theft rates.
  • Have two baggage tags, affixed at different points on each bag; handles do get torn off.
  • Use a baggage belt: some have TSA-approved locks, and a belt may keep your bag from spilling contents if it becomes damaged. A bright color helps distinguish your bag from similar ones.
  • Add a pom, ribbon or other device enabling you - and others - to distinguish your bag from similar / identical bags.
  • Have identifying information and an itinerary inside your case where it will be seen if the bag is opened (which will occur if external tags are lost). Some use an itinerary tag such as this Magellan's retriever tags.
  • Have a photo or two of your bags on your smartphone to show the baggage clerk exactly what your bag looks like.
Others suggest:
  • Don't use high end luggage; fancy, famous brands and fine finishes make your bag a target of thieves.
  • Airline status tags mark your bag as belonging to a high value customer, but nobody's provided evidence that helps. Some have reported status tagged bags may be targeted for delays during industrial actions such as employee slowdowns or strikes.

Updated: 31 Dec 2015

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2014, 9:56 am

I had a weekend trip to Chicago and flew LGA-ORD-LGA. We got back to LGA last night on AA352 and of course my bag was missing, apparently still at ORD.

It's just a pair of shoes and my air mattress so i'm not too stressed about it, but it was a direct flight where I checked in with plenty of time. Oh well. The baggage clerk said I should receive a call at some point today about it.
Old May 5, 2014, 5:49 pm

i am wondering if anyone can help me.
i flew AA 3 times in the past 4 months from NYC to ORD and back. On the first return flight my luggage was delayed 2 days. On the second return flight my luggage was lost and still is even though its been 2 months since it was lost. Now on april 23 i flew back from Chicago to EWR and i my luggage was delayed again. I called up to get some sort of compensation they offered a $100 voucher or 4000 points. I said i do not think that is adequate for all the problems they have caused.
So i was wondering if anyone has any idea of what is a decent compensation for the trouble they caused me? thanx in advance for the help
Old May 7, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: Avis First, Hertz Gold, Marriott Platinum, US Airways Platinum, AA Platinum, UA Silver, Hilton Diamo
Gate checked bag caught in airline bag elevator

Hi

At ord from ICT on AA. We were on a small canadair plane and had to gate check large carryons. Upon arriving at ORD my bag got caught in the bag elevator that lifts gate checked bags from the tarmac. It's mangled.

I didn't get a chance to take photos as they hurried me out off the jetway since they were boarding another flight. I have my original bag in a plastic bag.

I have nothing to support that my bag was caught in their elevator. They're telling me it's okay and I can file a claim when I get to PHL.

Should I do anything else before I leave ORD? I was assertive but polite, but want to make sure there's not something else I should do.

Thanks for any advice.
Old May 8, 2014, 1:05 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by xtremeski2001
Hi

I have nothing to support that my bag was caught in their elevator. They're telling me it's okay and I can file a claim when I get to PHL.

Should I do anything else before I leave ORD? I was assertive but polite, but want to make sure there's not something else I should do.
That is most unfortunate and annoying One expects carry-on bags to excape being mangled!

I assume you left ORD by now, I'm afraid.

In your situation I would try to make a damaged luggage claim at ORD but that may be hard if you are still airside since the people who handle bag problems are mostly landside by the bag claim. If you are still there, perhaps ask at the Admiral's Club if you can do this airside at ORD since AC staff are usually helpful.

Otherwise definitely file a claim at PHL with the baggage handling staff there as soon as you arrive, you must do this before you leave the airport.
Old May 8, 2014, 6:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
At ord from ICT on AA. We were on a small canadair plane and had to gate check large carryons. Upon arriving at ORD my bag got caught in the bag elevator that lifts gate checked bags from the tarmac. It's mangled.

I didn't get a chance to take photos as they hurried me out off the jetway since they were boarding another flight. I have my original bag in a plastic bag.

As American Airlines is still operating as a distinct entity, this question is being moved over to the relevant thread in the pre-merger American Airlines forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old May 8, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
I took BA 287 from LHR to SFO on April 29 and finally received my bag on May 7th. BA opted to route the bag via ORD using AA flights rather than use their own direct flights. Inside the bag were 5 TSA inspection cards from SFO. The flight #s TSA cited suggest the bag made a few round trips to LHR and a side trip to Delhi, but the date stamps on the back suggest the bag arrived in SFO by May 1 and got a near-daily inspection after that. I blame BA for the poor choice in routing (added more points of failure and complicated investigation), AA for not properly notifying anyone in SFO or updating the baggage record, and BA/oneworld's baggage handling agency (WorldTracer) for doing no proactive work to resolve the situation (or see if they had a bag waiting for them).
Old May 11, 2014, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by racer7400
i flew AA 3 times in the past 4 months from NYC to ORD and back. On the first return flight my luggage was delayed 2 days. On the second return flight my luggage was lost and still is even though its been 2 months since it was lost. Now on april 23 i flew back from Chicago to EWR and i my luggage was delayed again. I called up to get some sort of compensation they offered a $100 voucher or 4000 points. I said i do not think that is adequate for all the problems they have caused.
So i was wondering if anyone has any idea of what is a decent compensation for the trouble they caused me? thanx in advance for the help
bump
Old May 12, 2014, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by racer7400

Are you really concerned about compensation, or about getting your stuff back? Also, can you be a little more specific about what's gone on? Have you filed claims? Any relevant correspondence yet? Etc.

I didn't get a chance to take photos as they hurried me out off the jetway since they were boarding another flight.
This is a little bit shutting the barn door after the animals have left, I know; however.... In that situation, I would have stood there and taken some photos, boarding another flight or not. They won't physically touch you (that would be an assault/battery, crimes as well as torts); the most they'll do is call the police; and you'll be long gone before the cops arrive. How long can it take to take some photos, -- 45 seconds? 60?
Old May 18, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: Avis First, Hertz Gold, Marriott Platinum, US Airways Platinum, AA Platinum, UA Silver, Hilton Diamo

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
This is a little bit shutting the barn door after the animals have left, I know; however.... In that situation, I would have stood there and taken some photos, boarding another flight or not. They won't physically touch you (that would be an assault/battery, crimes as well as torts); the most they'll do is call the police; and you'll be long gone before the cops arrive. How long can it take to take some photos, -- 45 seconds? 60?
Thanks. I should have taken photos immediately. Getting rushed off the jetway I was focused on speaking with the FA instead of taking photos. Hopefully this won't happen again, but if it does I'll do things differently.

It's been over a week since my initial luggage claim. No calls, no letters, no anything. I suspect I'll be left holding my "broken luggage" in my hand at the end of this.

I won't be flying AA until it's resolved.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 6:43 am

Thanks. I should have taken photos immediately. Getting rushed off the jetway I was focused on speaking with the FA instead of taking photos. Hopefully this won't happen again, but if it does I'll do things differently.

It's been over a week since my initial luggage claim. No calls, no letters, no anything. I suspect I'll be left holding my "broken luggage" in my hand at the end of this.

I won't be flying AA until it's resolved.
Yesterday I learned AA will not be reimbursing me for the total amount of damaged goods in my bag.

The whole process was a frustrating one. After the claim I was told they would only replace high value items (I guess this is items over $50) if I had a receipt. I had a receipt for all items, but one. AA was quick to offer me a voucher for AA, but was a bit unwilling to offer me cash reimbursement. For the item where I had no receipt I told them I could provide them my credit card receipt. At this time they made several exceptions as to why they wouldn't reimburse me for the item. The item was custom soles for my dress shoes, which were applied by my cobbler at the time of purchase of the shoes. The AA rep said they don't reimburse for enhancements/customization. The value of the custom soles - $35 ... $35!!

I was negotiating in good faith (or I thought I was) and didn't even ask for the value of my bag and other unimportant items to be reimbursed. I was honest and patient during the whole process. The aggregate total for the damaged goods was ~$230. Thankfully it wasn't more - can't imaging the "screw you" I'd get from AA had I been on a longer trip with more stuff.

I made it to the highest AA person they would let me talk to, but he expressed he didn't have time to talk as he had other people he has to help. He actually terminated the call before we were done - classy.

I've looked around and I have options for small claims court, but it really seems silly given the small claims court costs are equal to the amount AA still owes me. At the end of the day none of what I lost is a true financial loss - I can replace the items easily - it's the principal. All the money I've spent on the airlines, years as US Airways Platinum and this is how they deal with me ... nickle and dimeing me so AA can save a few $.

Fortunately for me, United has all the routes I fly. I won't be stepping foot on another AA flight. Sure they won't notice, but I refuse to give money to an airline who treats their customers like we're an inconvenience.

Last edited by xtremeski2001; Jun 14, 2014 at 6:56 am
Old Jun 14, 2014, 6:56 am

I fly AA pretty much weekly through O'Hare. Of course I have issues, because O'Hare. Am I entitled to anything at all in some of these circumstances;

-ERJ175 ATL-ORD. I have a gate-checked (through) bag. Bag is never put on plane. It arrives the next morning at 11 AM finally. Roughly a 13 hour delay

-ERJ175 ATL-ORD (just yesterday, first scenario was 2 weeks ago). Plane sits on a landing pad for an hour because we don't have any gates available for us. This has happened now more than once. Absolutely killing my 2 hour long safe connections. And I am starting to think I deserve compensation for it.

To expand on why I feel I deserve compensation for it;

-The pilot was not reassuring of the situation and generally lacked information. Just kept repeating that there just isn't a gate and he wishes he had more information to tell us. I should say, he wasn't very professional - which probably is why this matters to me. Just be brief, and get off the mic.
-The pilot clearly placed blame on the AA ground crew at O'Hare for not having a gate ready for us, and that he is getting mixed messages and is unsure of what to do but sit. But he would get back to us.

Does the delayed bag, or the sitting on the tarmac warrant any compensation?

At the time, I felt the AA gate crew was unprofessional and incapable in even the best of weather conditions. And I feel like its about time AA cough up some thank you miles back to me for being such a good (and understanding) customer of theirs.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Quick question: a friend is travelling LIN-LHR-JFK (BA) JFK-DCA (AA) today; at JFK her bag did not arrive and they told her to ask again at DCA. Is there anything else she should do?

Thanks
Old Aug 3, 2014, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If the bag isn't at DCA with her arrival she needs to file a claim with AA per AA's deadlines.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 1:39 pm

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (consolidated)

Thanks
Old Aug 5, 2014, 5:46 am

Just an update that the AA people in DCA allegedly had a "system problem" and despite sending me a message that luggage would arrive in DCA yesterday, there has been no update about where it is and when it will arrive. A call to AA luggage claimed the bag had arrived at DCA but was unable to be processed and should be processed some time soon. Bleah.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.