Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (consolidated)

This is the archive of older posts for this subject. For the current thread, please see:

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (2015-onward)
Note: Live AA baggage tracking became available 15 Sep 2015.

Track your bags Link
September 18, 2015:

Hello, Addressee,
AAdvantage Platinum Number:

You can now follow your checked bags from check-in to carousel with your smartphone, laptop or tablet. See real-time information about your bag's status, including when your bag is checked in, on a plane or at baggage claim. All you need is your bag tag number or your record locator.

And, if your flight has Wi-Fi onboard, you can track your bags in the air for free.

Here's how to get started:
  • Go to aa.com/baggage
  • Click "Track your bags"
  • Enter your last name and bag tag # or record locator
Keep track of your bags from check-in to touchdown using your record locator or bag tag number.
NOTE: On itineraries with more than one airline, the responsible airline for lost or delayed baggage is the final carrier; that carrier's procedures may differ from AA's. In any case, most do require if you arrive at your destination and your baggage has not arrived (or has been damaged), be sure to fill out a baggage claim form prior to leaving the airport.

American Airlines: Delayed Baggage
:Baggage delayed less than 5 days
Phone: +1-800-535-5225
24 hours, 7 days a week

Baggage delayed longer than 5 days
See www.aa.com/bagstatus for further information.
American Airlines: Delayed or missing baggage:

We do our best to ensure that your checked bag travels on the same flight with you. If your bag does not arrive on your flight, our goal is to return your bag to you within 24 hours. The measures may take longer for international itineraries due to flight frequency or Customs and Immigration procedures.

Note: These procedures apply when American Airlines or American Eagle are taking you to your final destination.

If you are unable to locate your checked bag:

Notify an American Airlines/American Eagle baggage service agent prior to leaving the airport (If you purchased the American Airlines baggage delivery service provided through BAGS VIP Luggage Delivery in advance of travel, notification must be made within 12 hours of the arrival of the flight on which you traveled.)
  • You will be given a confidential file locator ID and a brochure explaining the recovery process
  • Our Baggage Service desk will contact you periodically to keep you informed of our progress in locating your bag (aspirational statement)
  • Refer to your confidential six-letter file locator (not your PNR) in all conversation and correspondence regarding your delayed bag
  • Use your last name and confidential six-letter baggage file locator (not your PNR)to check the status of your bag.Check Baggage Status
If your bag isn't located in five (5) days:
  • Central Baggage Service will take over the tracing effort
  • Fill out and return a Property Questionnaire within 30 days from the date you traveled
  • Available on the 6th day at www.aa.com/bagstatus.
  • Mailed to your permanent address within 10 days of your travel date.
  • Complete the questionnaire in its entirety including specific details such as colors, sizes, brand names and logos as well as information such as book titles, medication, electronics, gifts, souvenirs and food items
  • Retain a copy for your records
Damaged baggage:

Prompt notification of a damaged bag helps us get your property to you promptly therefore all American Airlines and American Eagle airport locations are equipped to handle the initial report, evaluation and settlement of damage claims. If your bag is damaged, please notify us:
  • In person before leaving the airport
  • At the latest, within 24 hours after you receive your bag for domestic itineraries
  • Within 7 days for international itineraries
Please notify us as soon as possible. Failure to report damage to baggage within the prescribed time limit releases American Airlines and American Eagle from any liability.
Wheels, "protuberances" etc. please see:

Notice regarding damage to wheels, handles, and other components of checked baggage

Baggage_Guidance_rev_11242015.pdf (link)

About this Document

In September 2015, the Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings (Enforcement Office) conducted extensive inspections of U.S. and foreign air carriers’ operations at 16 U.S. airports. The Enforcement Office found, among other things, that carriers routinely exclude from liability damage to specific parts of checked baggage, such as wheels, straps, zippers, handles, and protruding parts. Carriers often post signs indicating that they categorically refuse to compensate passengers for such items. In some instances, carrier agents also discouraged or refused to accept reports of such damage.

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage; FAQ.

Link to aa.com LIABILITY LIMITATIONS regarding baggage - but see

USDOT reminder to airlines compensation is due for damaged wheels, straps, etc.

Link to aa.com DAMAGED BAGGAGE

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage tracking form (need baggage claim file locator number to use)

American Airlines Conditions of Carriage (See BAGGAGE et seq., including Liability.)

Q. What can I do to help prevent or resolve baggage loss?
  • Don't place valuables in your checked baggage; such loss is generally not covered by airline policy. Some airports have higher pilferage and theft rates.
  • Have two baggage tags, affixed at different points on each bag; handles do get torn off.
  • Use a baggage belt: some have TSA-approved locks, and a belt may keep your bag from spilling contents if it becomes damaged. A bright color helps distinguish your bag from similar ones.
  • Add a pom, ribbon or other device enabling you - and others - to distinguish your bag from similar / identical bags.
  • Have identifying information and an itinerary inside your case where it will be seen if the bag is opened (which will occur if external tags are lost). Some use an itinerary tag such as this Magellan's retriever tags.
  • Have a photo or two of your bags on your smartphone to show the baggage clerk exactly what your bag looks like.
Others suggest:
  • Don't use high end luggage; fancy, famous brands and fine finishes make your bag a target of thieves.
  • Airline status tags mark your bag as belonging to a high value customer, but nobody's provided evidence that helps. Some have reported status tagged bags may be targeted for delays during industrial actions such as employee slowdowns or strikes.

Updated: 31 Dec 2015

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Old Sep 13, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Originally Posted by wave828
AA EXP flying OMA - ORD - MCO earlier this week.

Mechanical delay on OMA/ORD caused me to miss ORD/MCO. Flight from ORD to MCO was final flight of the day.

Rebooked ORD-DFW-MCO for same day, with ORD-DFW in coach.

Arrived on time into MCO, 1 of 2 checked bags made it to MCO. I was told by MCO baggage agent that my bag should arrive on the first flight the next morning and that they would bring it out to me.
----

Thoughts??
I had one of two bags lost on a first class flight through LAX to SAN - found 2 days later (they had ripped the tag off several bags at LAX, and put the same damaged tags back onto the wrong items, sent the wrong luggage all over the place

Was given 8000 bonus miles
Old Dec 6, 2013, 5:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
temp microwave thread

Hi - first post - so be nice!

Ok, went to take a 10 days vacation in Orlando, FL. everything went fine, and, we bought a lot of stuff to bring back to Brazil. Its Xmas and, the tax and duties in Brazil are incredibly high. At AA counter my wife and I checked 4 bags. When the woman was taking care of the 1st one, she, mistakenly got a bag tag from other person (that was by my side) and stick on my bag... she put the bag on the belt, and, then, when she put the label on my ticket she realized that she did a mistake. At this time my bag was gone. She then checked the other 3 bags using the correct bag tags, and, said that she needed to go to the back of the belt to fix the problem. She printed the 4th bag tag, and, then I asked if I needed to wait there, and, she said NO - we are professionals! we are going to take care of this. And I said OK - now I feel stupid.
Well - 18 hours later we got to GRU, and, my 3 bags were waiting for me (I'm platinum so she did put the priority tag on those), the 4th bag was missing.
I start looking at other bags, trying to find my name on that, and, unfortunately I did find one bag with a bag tag that has my name on it... the women got the wrong bag... I filed a claim, and now I'm waiting (this was 2 days ago). I've called AA several times on their baggage phone, but they dont see to have a lot to do/help. Here is how I think that it would be able to find my bag, I have the bag serial numbers, or the license plate for them... If someone run a report for all bag tags that were printed from 10 minutes before the time that my bag tag was printed in MCO we should get around 100 bags? after that, one could search on the lost bag database for all those 100 bags and, mine should be somewhere in US or overseas... If I had access to the DB I would do that, the problem is to find someone that can actually do that for me... I'm thinking to drive to GRU again and ask them to let me search for it on the system - I doubt that they are going to let me do that... and, it’s a 3 hour drive from my home.

long story short, I have a bag missing, with a label on it that does not belongs to me.. the serial number is unknow. the only thing that I have on my bag are my Initials....

any help is highly appreciated, and specially my children will be very happy to get the bag again, since its stuffed with Xmas gifts.

Jeffrey (sorry for my poor english).
Old Dec 6, 2013, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
It's been 2 days, I know it's hard, but it takes time. If they person next to you was going to LHR, it might take a day for it to surface once it gets there. Patience, grasshopper.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 6:15 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
I'm sincerely sorry for your trouble.

Can you possibly reach the Platinum phone number from your home near Sao Paulo? Maybe they could contact a Supervisor in Baggage Services?

I wish you the best.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
I think driving to GRU is probably a futile move... in my experience, when the bag turns up, it will be delivered to you. Certainly, AA should have a policy where they NEVER give a passenger access to any database containing other passengers' information.

Did you have any sort of name tag, itinerary, or other identifying information on the bag? Or was it just full of brand-new merchandise?

Worst case, if it was full of presents, you should have receipts from the recent purchases and AA should be able to reimburse you the full cost (or even better, the replacement cost).

Also, if the baggage complaints are handled at headquarters in DFW, you should be aware that there was a massive ice storm last night (nearly an inch of freezing rain), and most businesses have been shut down today and are expected to be shut down tomorrow. So baggage claims may be understaffed and delayed for a couple of days.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
If the agent put the wrong tag on your bag, and KNEW it at the time, and then put your tag on another bag, that agent should be fired. There is no excuse for that. Who knows how much money this person has already cost the airline, in lost bag costs and lost customer revenue. Anyone letting you look at a list of customer names, if that happens, should also be fired. That said, the general procedure is for them to call you when the bag is found, not to answer the phone or return calls to say they haven't found it. They are not staffed for that.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 5:10 am

@freeupgrade
There is no such platinum desk in Brazil - I tried to call the US number, and, they Xfer me to the baggage service # (std queue). The wont give me the airport number.

@janetdoe

I dont have anything on the bag that identify myself, just my initials on the top of it. I do have all the receipts from my trip.

@mvoight
I dont want to see any other passanger information - just bag descriptions..
I'm not sure if their system does the bag matching automaticaly or if someone needs to take case by case and search on each airport... I've mixed answers for that topic from different agents... some of them says that its automaticaly done by the system, some of them said that they need to go airport by airport looking for the bag type/color description...

tks guys.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by lordskylab
@freeupgrade
There is no such platinum desk in Brazil - I tried to call the US number, and, they Xfer me to the baggage service # (std queue). The wont give me the airport number.

@janetdoe

I dont have anything on the bag that identify myself, just my initials on the top of it. I do have all the receipts from my trip.

@mvoight
I dont want to see any other passanger information - just bag descriptions..
I'm not sure if their system does the bag matching automaticaly or if someone needs to take case by case and search on each airport... I've mixed answers for that topic from different agents... some of them says that its automaticaly done by the system, some of them said that they need to go airport by airport looking for the bag type/color description...

tks guys.
You are supposed to have an ID tag on the outside of the bag. It is also advisable to put ID info inside the bag. Without Identification info, it is going to be harder to find the bag. Good luck on your search. I assume AA put the bag's serial number in the computer. I don't know if they would log the serial number if they find a lost bag though.

Last edited by mvoight; Dec 7, 2013 at 6:26 am
Old Dec 7, 2013, 6:05 am

That is a difficult one. Airlines use a common computer system where all the information about missing bags and found bags is entered. The system then tries to find matches. To my knowledge the tag number and/or name/address on the outside are used to match. As soon as a match is found teh bag is delievered to the correct airport and then either delivered to you or you are notified. That's how it normally works.

Nobody is actually searching for missing bags. They just enter bags which are not claimed into this system. Not sure what happens if the system does not find a match inside a reasonable time frame.

I know this does not help much but explains the process.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 6:37 am

Seems that a lot of companies uses worldtracer, inclunding one world alliance.
AA seems to use its own.... do you think that aa info get pushed into worldtracer somehow?
Old Dec 7, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador, Alaska MVP Gold, UA Silver
I used to work for AA in baggage till about mid 2001 and saw just about every mistake an agent and passenger could make (unintentionally and otherwise). I'm assuming that the system has changed somewhat since then, back then AA had its own 'in house' system in SABRE that was interfaced with WorldTracer (since 1998) producing automated tracing results dropped into a queue every 24 hours. Back then WorldTracer was so different and the the interface was so awkward that agents avoided using it utilizing it directly, I hope that's changed.

Back to your issue, the challenge with these tag-swaps initially is that there is a strong focus in SABRE on the tag number/name on the bag tag (which is wrong) that it might not be caught until the 5-10 day mark when your file along with all the extra bags are sent into headquarters for further matching. This maybe a few days longer if the other tag had a final segment on another carrier. Its my understanding that even if the bag is on another carrier (including Southwest) it is required to be entered into Worldtracer system after the five day mark.

Separately there are a few things you can do to speed the search up yourself;
1. Check your lost bag report, if there is a tag number, have it removed and replaced with UNK (unknown). Also the name on the bag should also be changed to UNK (the system bases likely matches on a scoring system, points will be deducted is the name/tag are not a match and UNK is a wildcard that will prevent this from happening).
2. Verify that the bag type and color is correct, I know this seems basic but there are a lot of brown bags that are really green or red or vice versa (I'd estimate that about 30% of the reports were grossly incorrect, I sometimes wondered if passengers ever really looked at their luggage).
3. When you call in, ask if there is an agent/manager that can 'free trace' and run the bag thru both AA and WordTracer. These separate systems use different logic for matching and it always helps to get a second perspective.
4. Always be nice! - This is the most important one, yes the airline lost your bag and its frustrating. You have every right to be upset but don't take it out on these people. The agents on the phone get beat up - a lot, its probably one of the worst jobs at the airline and there is usually a queue of angry people waiting on hold for these agents. They will likely find a way to shorten a call with an angry caller and spend more time on the phone with someone they can sympathize with (and running a number of extra searches in the process).

Keep in mind that with all the snow and ice in Dallas this week that the agents on the phone and in the airports are working overtime to try and keep up with it all. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions but keep in mind I haven't worked in the industry for 13 years.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by N9931E
I used to work for AA in baggage till about mid 2001 and saw just about every mistake an agent and passenger could make (unintentionally and otherwise). I'm assuming that the system has changed somewhat since then, back then AA had its own 'in house' system in SABRE that was interfaced with WorldTracer (since 1998) producing automated tracing results dropped into a queue every 24 hours. Back then WorldTracer was so different and the the interface was so awkward that agents avoided using it utilizing it directly, I hope that's changed.

Back to your issue, the challenge with these tag-swaps initially is that there is a strong focus in SABRE on the tag number/name on the bag tag (which is wrong) that it might not be caught until the 5-10 day mark when your file along with all the extra bags are sent into headquarters for further matching. This maybe a few days longer if the other tag had a final segment on another carrier. Its my understanding that even if the bag is on another carrier (including Southwest) it is required to be entered into Worldtracer system after the five day mark.

1. Check your lost bag report, if there is a tag number, have it removed and replaced with UNK (unknown). Also the name on the bag should also be changed to UNK (the system bases likely matches on a scoring system, points will be deducted is the name/tag are not a match and UNK is a wildcard that will prevent this from happening).
2. Verify that the bag type and color is correct, I know this seems basic but there are a lot of brown bags that are really green or red or vice versa (I'd estimate that about 30% of the reports were grossly incorrect, I sometimes wondered if passengers ever really looked at their luggage).
3. When you call in, ask if there is an agent/manager that can 'free trace' and run the bag thru both AA and WordTracer. These separate systems use different logic for matching and it always helps to get a second perspective.
4. Always be nice! - This is the most important one, yes the airline lost your bag and its frustrating. You have every right to be upset but don't take it out on these people. The agents on the phone get beat up - a lot, its probably one of the worst jobs at the airline and there is usually a queue of angry people waiting on hold for these agents. They will likely find a way to shorten a call with an angry caller and spend more time on the phone with someone they can sympathize with (and running a number of extra searches in the process).

Keep in mind that with all the snow and ice in Dallas this week that the agents on the phone and in the airports are working overtime to try and keep up with it all. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions but keep in mind I haven't worked in the industry for 13 years.
Excellent info.

In my experience, the phone agents make it SOUND like everyone is looking high and low for YOUR bag, it is basically a passive system where they wait for things to show up somewhere. Sadly.

In my travels I tend to collect real phone numbers... off an AC phone, a check in desk, a local bag office... These can be lifesavers. I have none in Orlando.

i agree with janetdoes post as well.

I know this is frustrating, but there is little you can do now, other than quoted above. And not putting multiple name tags on the bag is your error and maybe a very costly one....

sorry-

a
Old Dec 7, 2013, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by N9931E

@N9931E
Thank you very much! back to your points:
1-both, name and tag number show UNK - that's good.
2-yes... the bag is black, and, the number that identifies it is 2.. upright.
3-never mentioned the word worldtracer to an agent.. will try that - one question for your, they will put the data on worldtracer just after a while? or they enter the info on AA system, and, it automaticaly gets pushed on Worldtracer??
4- I've been nice to them - my only complain, and, I'm not making this public yet is that I think that the process could be more pro-active.

have a nice weekend
Jeffrey
Old Dec 7, 2013, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
In my experience, the phone agents make it SOUND like everyone is looking high and low for YOUR bag, it is basically a passive system where they wait for things to show up somewhere. Sadly.
In this particular case, there's probably not much else that can be done. The bag could have been tagged to just about anywhere in the world. Where would they even start to look?

This reinforces the checked baggage "best practices" that we should all follow:

- Watch the agent tag the bag, making sure it's tagged to the correct destination.

- Make sure you put your own tag on the bag that has at least your name and phone number on it (ideally, mobile phone you have with you). Some people don't like to put their full home address on a tag that's accessible from the outside, so in that case, put just your city and state, or perhaps your work address.

- Put a tag inside the bag that has the same info as the outside tag described above, such that it's clearly visible as soon as you open the bag (such as by taping it to the inside cover).

I admit that I don't always do each of the above, but I try my best, and doing so will reduce the instances of lost bags, and decrease the recovery time if they do get lost.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador, Alaska MVP Gold, UA Silver
Good, it sounds like they are on the right path to start! You say its an upright 2?, I forgot most of the bag type codes but I remember the following types;
01 is a hard side bag (think Sampsonite hard sided bag from the 60's/70's)
23 is a soft sided version of the 01 type.
22 is the most common soft sided bag, the type flight crews use with wheels and a pull up handle
02 is a hard sided version of the 22
I'm guessing your bag type may be marked as a BK02HWX for a hard side or a BK22HPW if its soft side (H=Retractable Handle, P=Pockets, W=Wheels, X=filler/none) If this is correct then see if you can locate the WorldTracer record number which I believe is created automatically after the file is created, you can verify this by requesting the Worldtracer locator number which will be different then the six digit file locator AA uses and should be located under the bag description line in SABRE. The format is the city of file creation, airline and six numbers so your file should be something like 'GRU AA 123456'. Once you get it try looking it up on this Air Canada Website which should display an abbreviated version of your file on this site; http://www.aircanada.com/en/common/b...rldtracer.html
Keep in mind this is a very basic info and you may not see anything other then your name and bag description and current status but you won't have to wait on a phone queue, and you'll know other airlines will be able to see its missing.

I know what you mean about the proactive stuff, at the very least I would send a letter asking for a travel voucher for the inconvenience. On the business side this tracer file will be charged back to the station and agent that caused the error.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.