Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (consolidated)

This is the archive of older posts for this subject. For the current thread, please see:

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (2015-onward)
Note: Live AA baggage tracking became available 15 Sep 2015.

Track your bags Link
September 18, 2015:

Hello, Addressee,
AAdvantage Platinum Number:

You can now follow your checked bags from check-in to carousel with your smartphone, laptop or tablet. See real-time information about your bag's status, including when your bag is checked in, on a plane or at baggage claim. All you need is your bag tag number or your record locator.

And, if your flight has Wi-Fi onboard, you can track your bags in the air for free.

Here's how to get started:
  • Go to aa.com/baggage
  • Click "Track your bags"
  • Enter your last name and bag tag # or record locator
Keep track of your bags from check-in to touchdown using your record locator or bag tag number.
NOTE: On itineraries with more than one airline, the responsible airline for lost or delayed baggage is the final carrier; that carrier's procedures may differ from AA's. In any case, most do require if you arrive at your destination and your baggage has not arrived (or has been damaged), be sure to fill out a baggage claim form prior to leaving the airport.

American Airlines: Delayed Baggage
:Baggage delayed less than 5 days
Phone: +1-800-535-5225
24 hours, 7 days a week

Baggage delayed longer than 5 days
See www.aa.com/bagstatus for further information.
American Airlines: Delayed or missing baggage:

We do our best to ensure that your checked bag travels on the same flight with you. If your bag does not arrive on your flight, our goal is to return your bag to you within 24 hours. The measures may take longer for international itineraries due to flight frequency or Customs and Immigration procedures.

Note: These procedures apply when American Airlines or American Eagle are taking you to your final destination.

If you are unable to locate your checked bag:

Notify an American Airlines/American Eagle baggage service agent prior to leaving the airport (If you purchased the American Airlines baggage delivery service provided through BAGS VIP Luggage Delivery in advance of travel, notification must be made within 12 hours of the arrival of the flight on which you traveled.)
  • You will be given a confidential file locator ID and a brochure explaining the recovery process
  • Our Baggage Service desk will contact you periodically to keep you informed of our progress in locating your bag (aspirational statement)
  • Refer to your confidential six-letter file locator (not your PNR) in all conversation and correspondence regarding your delayed bag
  • Use your last name and confidential six-letter baggage file locator (not your PNR)to check the status of your bag.Check Baggage Status
If your bag isn't located in five (5) days:
  • Central Baggage Service will take over the tracing effort
  • Fill out and return a Property Questionnaire within 30 days from the date you traveled
  • Available on the 6th day at www.aa.com/bagstatus.
  • Mailed to your permanent address within 10 days of your travel date.
  • Complete the questionnaire in its entirety including specific details such as colors, sizes, brand names and logos as well as information such as book titles, medication, electronics, gifts, souvenirs and food items
  • Retain a copy for your records
Damaged baggage:

Prompt notification of a damaged bag helps us get your property to you promptly therefore all American Airlines and American Eagle airport locations are equipped to handle the initial report, evaluation and settlement of damage claims. If your bag is damaged, please notify us:
  • In person before leaving the airport
  • At the latest, within 24 hours after you receive your bag for domestic itineraries
  • Within 7 days for international itineraries
Please notify us as soon as possible. Failure to report damage to baggage within the prescribed time limit releases American Airlines and American Eagle from any liability.
Wheels, "protuberances" etc. please see:

Notice regarding damage to wheels, handles, and other components of checked baggage

Baggage_Guidance_rev_11242015.pdf (link)

About this Document

In September 2015, the Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings (Enforcement Office) conducted extensive inspections of U.S. and foreign air carriers’ operations at 16 U.S. airports. The Enforcement Office found, among other things, that carriers routinely exclude from liability damage to specific parts of checked baggage, such as wheels, straps, zippers, handles, and protruding parts. Carriers often post signs indicating that they categorically refuse to compensate passengers for such items. In some instances, carrier agents also discouraged or refused to accept reports of such damage.

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage; FAQ.

Link to aa.com LIABILITY LIMITATIONS regarding baggage - but see

USDOT reminder to airlines compensation is due for damaged wheels, straps, etc.

Link to aa.com DAMAGED BAGGAGE

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage tracking form (need baggage claim file locator number to use)

American Airlines Conditions of Carriage (See BAGGAGE et seq., including Liability.)

Q. What can I do to help prevent or resolve baggage loss?
  • Don't place valuables in your checked baggage; such loss is generally not covered by airline policy. Some airports have higher pilferage and theft rates.
  • Have two baggage tags, affixed at different points on each bag; handles do get torn off.
  • Use a baggage belt: some have TSA-approved locks, and a belt may keep your bag from spilling contents if it becomes damaged. A bright color helps distinguish your bag from similar ones.
  • Add a pom, ribbon or other device enabling you - and others - to distinguish your bag from similar / identical bags.
  • Have identifying information and an itinerary inside your case where it will be seen if the bag is opened (which will occur if external tags are lost). Some use an itinerary tag such as this Magellan's retriever tags.
  • Have a photo or two of your bags on your smartphone to show the baggage clerk exactly what your bag looks like.
Others suggest:
  • Don't use high end luggage; fancy, famous brands and fine finishes make your bag a target of thieves.
  • Airline status tags mark your bag as belonging to a high value customer, but nobody's provided evidence that helps. Some have reported status tagged bags may be targeted for delays during industrial actions such as employee slowdowns or strikes.

Updated: 31 Dec 2015

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2010, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
American breaks bikes?

http://nycaviation.com/2010/06/08/am...-breaks-bikes/
Old Jun 8, 2010, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.5 MM, AA Concierge Key
I think airlines need to understand the the customer service game has changed considerably to the point where you can no longer simply ignore a legitimate claim and expect the plaintiff to quit out of exhaustion. Rather, it's a world in which millions of customers and potential customers can be reached and influenced by nearly anyone with the means to fly. That's what untied.com is all about!
Old Jun 8, 2010, 3:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Well, a quick read of aa.com's baggage liability shows the crux of the joke:

As the airlines were enabled to write their own ticket, so to speak, in the wonderful world of regulation (e.g. Geneva Convention, as modified in Warsaw and Montreal) they have allowed a maximum liability for international travel, as aa.com states, of

"Liability for loss, delay or damage to baggage is limited to:
. Domestic travel - $3,300 USD per ticketed passenger
. International travel governed by the Warsaw Convention - $9.07 USD per lb up to $634.90 USD per bag
. International travel governed by the Montreal Convention - 1,131 SDR (Special Drawing Rights) per ticketed passenger

Baggage Liability Restrictions
Maximum liability is not automatic - damage or loss value must be proven
. American Airlines does not assume liability for unsuitably packed items
. American Airlines does not assume liability for loss, damage or delay of baggage that may result from a security search conducted by any local, state, or federal agency
Certain items are excluded from liability.

So, the bicycle in question was worth (according to the receipt shown) 1,800 Swiss Francs - significantly less than $1,800 USD, perhaps under $1,500 in the day the incident occurred, over one year ago. Hmm, what are the ethics of charging AA your own currency exchange fee?

And under AA's Baggage Liability conditions, the bicycle, which weighed approximately 30 lbs, has a reimbursable rate of USD $272.10.

So, what are defensive flyers to do? Fight for some overhaul of how the airlines are enabled to be self-serving, and be sure to take out excess valuation insurance coverage for valuable items you are checking in, unless they are covered by some other insurance coverage you have (e.g. floated, homeowner's policy, etc.)

BTW, an interesting read is the Sue the Airlines website, with specific information on small claims - which I think I read somewhere, pending legislation may allow consumers to file small claims against an airline in any state (disclaimed: I think I read something like this, but make no claims as to accuracy or specificity).

N.B. This has been merged into the appropriate thread.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 8, 2010 at 4:03 pm Reason: add URL
Old Jun 8, 2010, 3:53 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fixedwingflyer
I think airlines need to understand the the customer service game has changed considerably to the point where you can no longer simply ignore a legitimate claim and expect the plaintiff to quit out of exhaustion.
As long as no one else is doing it better (and I don't know whether that's the case or not) they have no need to step up to the plate and do things right. Once someone starts, the laggards will have to start improving or be left behind. CS as a whole in the airline industry sucks. No reason yet for anyone to not suck.

Cheers.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 4:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Sucksinctly, er, succinctly and well put.

Originally Posted by brp
As long as no one else is doing it better (and I don't know whether that's the case or not) they have no need to step up to the plate and do things right. Once someone starts, the laggards will have to start improving or be left behind. CS as a whole in the airline industry sucks. No reason yet for anyone to not suck.

Cheers.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Zero sympathy... dont pack your bicycle in a box.
Besides i bet AA had this passenger sign a waiver to send this....

Use a hardcase or get insurance...
Old Jun 8, 2010, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
That guy's cheesy video will never get as many hits as "United Breaks Guitars," which was a true viral marketing classic.

Originally Posted by JDiver
So, what are defensive flyers to do? Fight for some overhaul of how the airlines are enabled to be self-serving, and be sure to take out excess valuation insurance coverage for valuable items you are checking in, unless they are covered by some other insurance coverage you have (e.g. floated, homeowner's policy, etc.)
I don't have time for the fight to reform airline rules. But I am aware of the limitations--and carry additional insurance for "special" gear I have to carry. If I was carrying a high-end bicycle, I'd consider it to be in that category.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by holbiho
Zero sympathy... dont pack your bicycle in a box.
Besides i bet AA had this passenger sign a waiver to send this....

Use a hardcase or get insurance...
I agree. Everything I have ever checked in a box, I had to sign a waiver for.
What is the purpose of having a waiver, if nothing ever breaks.
AA didn't purposely break the box.... and this has absolutely nothing to do with the max baggage liability limit

Additionally, if it was packed and liability wasn't waived, it makes sense for the owner to pay the extra coverage fee, if the value is greater than per pound limit set by convention

I notice the 2 comments left on the website didn't seem to show sympathy.
Seriously... Baggage limits are there for a reason. If you feel they are too low, then buy additional coverage.
If an airline is asking you to waive liability on a box you are checking, this should be a sign you need to understand that damage may occur and you may not be reimbursed.

Last edited by mvoight; Jun 8, 2010 at 7:21 pm
Old Jun 8, 2010, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wow! How time flies! It seems like just last week, we were going through the whole bike-in-a-box scenario, but it was really 6 months ago. Should we all repost our comments from then?
Old Jun 9, 2010, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
Have you ever dealt with B6's customer service? Pretty fantastic. So there are challengers! And with their ticket cost often at a fraction of AA's, I think AA really ought to rethink this one.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 7:52 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fixedwingflyer
Have you ever dealt with B6's customer service? Pretty fantastic. So there are challengers! And with their ticket cost often at a fraction of AA's, I think AA really ought to rethink this one.
I have never flown, and I don't check bags, so I'll have to take your word for that (and I do). Since they're not in the same league as AA (no international, for example) their quality will have little impact just as WN's policies don't affect AA much. It will have to be one of the other major/legacies to get a budge. I'm not hopeful that someone will step up soon.

Cheers.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by brp
I have never flown, and I don't check bags, so I'll have to take your word for that (and I do). Since they're not in the same league as AA (no international, for example) their quality will have little impact just as WN's policies don't affect AA much. It will have to be one of the other major/legacies to get a budge. I'm not hopeful that someone will step up soon.

Cheers.
B6 does have a small number of international destinations (e.g. BOG, SJO). To argue that they're not in the same league as AA is a bit absurd. B6 has played a significant part in devastating AA's west coast service and crippling their operation in BOS, to say nothing of other former major AA strongholds. They may very well be a David to the AA Goliath, but just like in the biblical tale, they're taking AA apart piece by piece. AA's new relationship with B6 is probably an attempt to keep B6 from running them entirely out of business.

As for checked bags, I agree entirely. Sadly, my ex did not.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Agrolingua
I was travelling between Miami and Green Bay on Saturday. When my suitcase came off the conveyor I could see some damage. It looks like the suitcase was either dragged a long distance or it was stuck against a moving belt. One spot is worn down to the inner lining, the wheel is worn flat, etc.

I immediately went to the agent and showed them and they gave me the form and told me to bring the luggage back and they would repair it.

A couple of relevant points. First, I was flying first class. Second, the suitcase is a moderately priced piece of TUMI.

My concern is that if I give it to them to repair the job might not be that great. Wheels not matching or something like that.

On the other hand if I sent it back to TUMI they would repair it back to original condition.

Has anyone had experience or a tactic to get American to repair the luggage with the manufacturer rather than the company they choose? Would having a first class ticket carry any weight?

Just a follow up on my dilemma of a couple months ago with the damaged TUMI luggage mentioned above. Might be a couple lessons to learn. First, the Station Manager had the final call on what to do. Even though he said he called the Central Baggage Manager at AA HQ, they let him make the decision.

Sadly, things initially went the way that I feared. When I contacted the Station Manager I emailed him photos of the damage. His opinion was that I should bring the bag to him and he would send it to the AA baggage repair contractor. It was his opinion that they would declare it a loss and they would allow me to replace it with another TUMI that was more or less equal value. He also left open the option of letting TUMI repair it. That was really what I was hoping to do. But, I went with his suggestion and took the bag to the airport (with copies of ticket, baggage stub, etc.). A couple weeks later I learned that a box was delivered to my previous address. It appears that they must have used old info from my frequent flyer account. Indeed, they had made a patch repair on the bag. There were some things they did not repair at all. I was not happy and contacted the Station Manager. I also emailed him photos of what they had done. He apparently made a couple phone calls and passed on the photos and then got back to me that AA would replace the bag. I just needed to buy a new (TUMI) one and bring him the receipt. I did that and took him the receipt and he cut me a check on the spot.

In the end he seemed committed to take care of the customer. You might say that he took “ownership” for the problem. He was very apologetic for the damage and said that it was clearly way beyond normal wear and tear. I am not sure I would have gotten the same attention had I dealt with people at Central Baggage.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:22 am

Lost bag on YUL-DFW-ANC route

My wife has now been without her bag (we are on an around the world itinerary for 2+ months) for the last six days after her bag went missing 6 days ago when we flew into ANC from YUL via DFW. The bags were scanned and was loaded in YUL but tracking stopped in DFW (two of our three bags arrived in ANC).

They have authorized upto 500 USD for purchase of clothing and other essentials, but I am getting more and more worried with each day passing about the bag being missing permanently. At the moment, we can care much less about the compensation but really want our bag back!

AA baggage service has been terrible (one of my bag got lost on en route to London from ANC as well! but it's tracable and is coming today). How does AA settle when the bag is permanently missing? If they settle, do they still try to find the bag and deliver it to us?

Obviously with our travels around the world, I am really upset having to buy clothing and other essentials in the middle of our trip. I am very frustrated with AA service overall, not just the baggage handling.

I would very much appreciate other people's experience with this issue!
Thanks!
Old Jul 8, 2010, 8:58 am

Angry Lost baggage - now more than 8 days! and we are on LONE4!!!

I was typing out a long post and was logged out while doing so... and I lost all the text... Oh boy...

So, long story short:

1) Background of our ticket
* My wife and I are on LONE4 (ex-ICN, we started in January and we picked up the itinerary again at the end of June) as part of our year-long honeymoon!!! - We used the first portion of the the ticket to head to YUL where I am currently pursuing a PhD at McGill

2) The baggage story
* AA lost my wife's bag enroute to ANC from YUL on the first journey back on LONE4 to re-start our honeymoon travels!
* We are planning to be in London (2 weeks)/South America (various countries for 3.5 weeks)/Europe and Asia (3 weeks) before heading home to YUL at the end of August
* No sign of baggage as of today (July 8: 9 days)
* We are both AA PLAT (I am on my way to EXPLT - should reach sometime at the end of this summer) - really tried hard to fly with AA (especially because both myself and my wife have status *G and *S on *A)
* We left ANC on the 2nd of July for London (via DFW - this is where we stopped our LONE4 and picked up a new ticket to LONDON) for a 2 week course for my PhD
* To add insult to our injury, one of my bag was delayed one day when we arrived in LHR (I had to start with the courses in the same clothes I wore for two straight days without toiletries)
* We are heading back to DFW on the 17th of July to pick up our LONE4 journey to South America
* Thereafter, we will be moving from one place to another in every 3 days on average

3) Upon contact to Baggage services
* AA has authorized 500 USD (after initial 150 USD) for essentials - no cash provided (per their policy - my experience with LH and SA in the last month during our journey in Africa was that they paid 100 USD cash for the delayed baggage that came the following day - quite an interesting contrast in airline policies!)

* Upon contacting the baggage services on day 6 of lost baggage, the agent rudely tells me (without me having to ask) that the max compensation for lost baggage is 453 USD per international convention (Warsaw, I believe) -the bag itself is more than 400 USD!

* When I mention to her that 453 USD is no where near the value of our bag , she immediately says "don't file a claim if you don't want to!" and starts to say that she gets such calls 30 times a day! - Well, isn't that her job to handle lost baggage issues?

* Now two more days have passed, no sign of luggage

* Due to our extensive travels, I am left with maxed-out credit card, and some cash (need to save for emergency cases). I don't have time to go buy clothes as my wife and I are busy with the course!

4) Question

What should I do?

What can AA do for me?!

What would be my appropriate action before leaving London?

5) Frustrations!

* Lots of frustration with AA (especially with their poor handling of baggage - lost our bag two straight flights)
* AA and OW baggage allowance is no where near the benefit I received as *G with *A airlines! - I have had much trouble with my bags that were just 2-3 kg over weight! I had to pay extras for these overweights!
* I am much invested in AA this year (LONE4 + 8 1,000 + USD tickets for my wife and I) so I will continue with AA till end of the year and move over to *A...

I am really disappointed with AA and OW as a result of all of this year's experiences!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.