Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (consolidated)

This is the archive of older posts for this subject. For the current thread, please see:

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (2015-onward)
Note: Live AA baggage tracking became available 15 Sep 2015.

Track your bags Link
September 18, 2015:

Hello, Addressee,
AAdvantage Platinum Number:

You can now follow your checked bags from check-in to carousel with your smartphone, laptop or tablet. See real-time information about your bag's status, including when your bag is checked in, on a plane or at baggage claim. All you need is your bag tag number or your record locator.

And, if your flight has Wi-Fi onboard, you can track your bags in the air for free.

Here's how to get started:
  • Go to aa.com/baggage
  • Click "Track your bags"
  • Enter your last name and bag tag # or record locator
Keep track of your bags from check-in to touchdown using your record locator or bag tag number.
NOTE: On itineraries with more than one airline, the responsible airline for lost or delayed baggage is the final carrier; that carrier's procedures may differ from AA's. In any case, most do require if you arrive at your destination and your baggage has not arrived (or has been damaged), be sure to fill out a baggage claim form prior to leaving the airport.

American Airlines: Delayed Baggage
:Baggage delayed less than 5 days
Phone: +1-800-535-5225
24 hours, 7 days a week

Baggage delayed longer than 5 days
See www.aa.com/bagstatus for further information.
American Airlines: Delayed or missing baggage:

We do our best to ensure that your checked bag travels on the same flight with you. If your bag does not arrive on your flight, our goal is to return your bag to you within 24 hours. The measures may take longer for international itineraries due to flight frequency or Customs and Immigration procedures.

Note: These procedures apply when American Airlines or American Eagle are taking you to your final destination.

If you are unable to locate your checked bag:

Notify an American Airlines/American Eagle baggage service agent prior to leaving the airport (If you purchased the American Airlines baggage delivery service provided through BAGS VIP Luggage Delivery in advance of travel, notification must be made within 12 hours of the arrival of the flight on which you traveled.)
  • You will be given a confidential file locator ID and a brochure explaining the recovery process
  • Our Baggage Service desk will contact you periodically to keep you informed of our progress in locating your bag (aspirational statement)
  • Refer to your confidential six-letter file locator (not your PNR) in all conversation and correspondence regarding your delayed bag
  • Use your last name and confidential six-letter baggage file locator (not your PNR)to check the status of your bag.Check Baggage Status
If your bag isn't located in five (5) days:
  • Central Baggage Service will take over the tracing effort
  • Fill out and return a Property Questionnaire within 30 days from the date you traveled
  • Available on the 6th day at www.aa.com/bagstatus.
  • Mailed to your permanent address within 10 days of your travel date.
  • Complete the questionnaire in its entirety including specific details such as colors, sizes, brand names and logos as well as information such as book titles, medication, electronics, gifts, souvenirs and food items
  • Retain a copy for your records
Damaged baggage:

Prompt notification of a damaged bag helps us get your property to you promptly therefore all American Airlines and American Eagle airport locations are equipped to handle the initial report, evaluation and settlement of damage claims. If your bag is damaged, please notify us:
  • In person before leaving the airport
  • At the latest, within 24 hours after you receive your bag for domestic itineraries
  • Within 7 days for international itineraries
Please notify us as soon as possible. Failure to report damage to baggage within the prescribed time limit releases American Airlines and American Eagle from any liability.
Wheels, "protuberances" etc. please see:

Notice regarding damage to wheels, handles, and other components of checked baggage

Baggage_Guidance_rev_11242015.pdf (link)

About this Document

In September 2015, the Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings (Enforcement Office) conducted extensive inspections of U.S. and foreign air carriers’ operations at 16 U.S. airports. The Enforcement Office found, among other things, that carriers routinely exclude from liability damage to specific parts of checked baggage, such as wheels, straps, zippers, handles, and protruding parts. Carriers often post signs indicating that they categorically refuse to compensate passengers for such items. In some instances, carrier agents also discouraged or refused to accept reports of such damage.

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage; FAQ.

Link to aa.com LIABILITY LIMITATIONS regarding baggage - but see

USDOT reminder to airlines compensation is due for damaged wheels, straps, etc.

Link to aa.com DAMAGED BAGGAGE

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage tracking form (need baggage claim file locator number to use)

American Airlines Conditions of Carriage (See BAGGAGE et seq., including Liability.)

Q. What can I do to help prevent or resolve baggage loss?
  • Don't place valuables in your checked baggage; such loss is generally not covered by airline policy. Some airports have higher pilferage and theft rates.
  • Have two baggage tags, affixed at different points on each bag; handles do get torn off.
  • Use a baggage belt: some have TSA-approved locks, and a belt may keep your bag from spilling contents if it becomes damaged. A bright color helps distinguish your bag from similar ones.
  • Add a pom, ribbon or other device enabling you - and others - to distinguish your bag from similar / identical bags.
  • Have identifying information and an itinerary inside your case where it will be seen if the bag is opened (which will occur if external tags are lost). Some use an itinerary tag such as this Magellan's retriever tags.
  • Have a photo or two of your bags on your smartphone to show the baggage clerk exactly what your bag looks like.
Others suggest:
  • Don't use high end luggage; fancy, famous brands and fine finishes make your bag a target of thieves.
  • Airline status tags mark your bag as belonging to a high value customer, but nobody's provided evidence that helps. Some have reported status tagged bags may be targeted for delays during industrial actions such as employee slowdowns or strikes.

Updated: 31 Dec 2015

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:02 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by dmsdfw
Has anyone had any recent experience with bags going missing when departing DFW Terminal B? Girlfriend was on an AE flight from DFW->CSG on Wednesday (three days ago) and checked two bags - one with clothes the other with Christmas presents. The bag with clothes made it while the other one didn't. The baggage service agents have not been very helpful at all and can't find any evidence that the bag even left DFW.
Just a quick update - the missing bag finally showed up back at DFW on 1/3 (and returned by courier to GF's house). No indication as to why it took nearly two weeks for it to go nowhere. At least next Christmas' shopping to now sorted.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
... the missing bag finally showed up back at DFW on 1/3 (and returned by courier to GF's house). No indication as to why it took nearly two weeks for it to go nowhere. ...
Sometimes I think there's an alternative universe behind those rubber curtains at the end of the luggage conveyor ...
Old Jan 17, 2011, 8:52 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Just a quick update - the missing bag finally showed up back at DFW on 1/3 (and returned by courier to GF's house). No indication as to why it took nearly two weeks for it to go nowhere. At least next Christmas' shopping to now sorted.
Glad you finally got your bag. I am neck deep fighting with AA over one of mine. The compensation they offer doesnt come close to covering what was in it and should be criminal basing it on weight only.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:08 am

Reimbursement for delayed Luggage costs

AA delayed delivery of my luggage for a couple of days back on 20 Oct 2010. I was given authorization to purchase personal items up to $150.00. I submitted my reciepts and all the copies of claim forms and ticket reciepts as requested by AA. I sent a letter to AA several weeks ago inquiring as to status. I was told it takes 10 weeks to process payments!! Anyway it is now 12 weeks and still no word from AA. Any one have similar experience with AA? I tried finding a phone number for customer service but only find fax and email contacts.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dwsebert
AA delayed delivery of my luggage for a couple of days back on 20 Oct 2010. I was given authorization to purchase personal items up to $150.00. I submitted my reciepts and all the copies of claim forms and ticket reciepts as requested by AA. I sent a letter to AA several weeks ago inquiring as to status. I was told it takes 10 weeks to process payments!! Anyway it is now 12 weeks and still no word from AA. Any one have similar experience with AA? I tried finding a phone number for customer service but only find fax and email contacts.
Naturally, lots of FlyerTalk members have been through this. That's why the Flyertalk rules require that you search for information on your topic before starting a thread. Search is quick and easy, took about 30 seconds from starting the search to looking at this thread:

Baggage / luggage delay, loss - advice, compensation, prevention etc. (consolidated)
Old Apr 3, 2011, 11:45 am

Programs: AAadvantage EXP, UA MilagePlus
Angry First EVER luggage NOT DELIVERED - HOPE NOT LOST

Still have m hopes my luggage will show up... Was flying Apr 1 from MIA to BCN via JFK... upon arrival in BCN no luggage from those of us that boarded in MIA arrived to BCN... Calling customer service is useless any ideas... One piece showed this morning in BCN (2 still missing) when I called the lost baggage number they had no idea one piece of luggage was already here... just want to know if there is any way of finding where my luggage is... It is mind bogging that in this time of security measures luggage can be anywhere and nobody knows about it... which means anybody can have access to it and put what ever they want in it... so makes me feel very SAFE about flying... I will continue to call the lost luggage USELESS hotline but that they do not know or have a way of tracking the luggage then why bother with all those bar codes... UPS and the rest do a good job tracking a package but airlines look like it is a mute case... And yes so much for security before boarding but your luggage is a free for all and or anybody to get hold of... except the airline you are flying that has no idea where it is...
Old May 1, 2011, 11:10 am
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Need snail mail address for baggage issue

My bag was delayed for 4 days on trip to CUR (actually BON, but no need to complicate)

I want to pen a letter to exec offi cer, to detail commuinications issues (I am not complaining about losinbg/delaying) the luggage.

Who should I write to?

THX
Old May 15, 2011, 7:43 am

Delayed bag routing & standard practice

My wife and I check in for CDG – MIA – PHX. I am lifetime Gold and she has no status. The agent tags the bags in her name and charges no fees. Pick up both bags in MIA and do this ridiculous marathon trot to the recheck. In PHX one bag shows up and the other has no status other than it was rechecked in MIA.

Mixed bag contents / my suits / her stuff. PHX agent advises they will get it on a DFW connection and it should be in last night. Nope.

I was under the impression AA would route it any way they could to get it delivered to us but the RUDE RUDE RUDE phone agent states this AM that is not true. It MUST go on a NS from MIA arriving tonight.

Can anyone clarify the standard practice ? I need to replace some items for an interview tomorrow AM yet they are surprisingly well, not forthcoming.
Old May 15, 2011, 8:38 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
They'll most likely put it on a nonstop. However it's also possible they'd put it via dfw or ORD.

By report, AA just recently started scanning luggage tags at every point. Previously it would only be scanned ~once a day at outstations and not at the connections.

Good luck!
Old May 15, 2011, 8:45 am

Thanks. I would have thought with so many connection possibilities it would have moved out of MIA iether last night or early AM next day. I'm not comfortable having a bag overnight in MIA. In fact nether would I be either.

I'll update.
Old May 15, 2011, 11:19 am

Frankly I don't think the phone agent nor the bag agent at Miami really know.

What really depends is the AA person (or contract worker) who picks up the bags and decides how to reroute it.

It doesn't matter what the bag service agent or phone agent say.

Sorry to say but I believe that is how it goes at AA these days (and almost every other airline too).
Old May 15, 2011, 11:35 am

Well as it stands right now - 14 hours after the scheduled arrival time - is that they have'nt located it. I have an interview in the AM and have a $200 authorization. I finally got a civil person the phone and I put the lost bag and the resultant treatment this morning and another event recently in contrast to my nearly 2M miles and advised the agent if the bag didnt show up soon I would chose to treat AA as they have treated me.
Old May 15, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
I think delayed baggage sucks... But it happens on all airlines. At this point, we can only speculate where your luggage is. Sorry.

Now for the tough medicine. If you absolutely positively needed what's in it, then you shouldn't have ever checked it. Again... Sorry.
Old May 15, 2011, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by emma dog
I think delayed baggage sucks... But it happens on all airlines. At this point, we can only speculate where your luggage is. Sorry.

Now for the tough medicine. If you absolutely positively needed what's in it, then you shouldn't have ever checked it. Again... Sorry.

In hindsight though, this is one of the very very few times my wife and I have checked bags in the last decade. We check bags perhaps 5% of the time so this is an oddity.

I will say the AA re-check area in Miami isnt exactly what I would call "secure". in fact thinking back on it, my wife wanted to put some cosmetics into her checked bag to avoid the extra tray at the TA and we opened the bag in front of the AA re-check area to put them in. Hmmm. Discreet but still open.
Old May 15, 2011, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro (2MM), HH DIA, IHG PLT
I hope it shows up quickly! Did your "EX EXP status now Delta" status happen this morning after they lost your luggage?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.