Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

See here for the 2019 domestic meal thread.

Note: this thread is about meals served on domestic AA flights.

Link to Combined 2018 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2018 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of.

Basically, in its best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2017, 10:38 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium

Introduction
Welcome to the 2018 version of the combined AA meals thread, focusing on domestic service. Please post your meal/service experiences, including menus, photos, reports, questions, and service anecdotes.

To help give us a clear picture of your experience, remember to include the route, time, and meal designation (breakfast/lunch/dinner/snack/refreshments/none). Photos are welcome and very helpful. Those are rudimentary guidelines, but of course, the format/style is up to you.

Format Sample
This is a format you can use when introducing your meal report. This is just a sample format; deviations are expected.

AA1: JFK-LAX: 3pm
Dinner
A321
First Class, 2A

(from here, share the menu and/or experiences and/or photos)

Historical Meal Reports
Throwback mode? Go crazy!

For the 2018 International Meals thread, click here.

Enjoy!

(H/T to MrAndy1369 for the original text)

Last edited by JY1024; Jan 1, 2018 at 1:49 pm Reason: Updated first post
Old Dec 31, 2017, 10:38 am

2018 Combined AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

I've got a flight coming up in January that's first class but it won't let me pick meals. Does that mean nothing's being served?
Old Dec 31, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by maniac78
I've got a flight coming up in January that's first class but it won't let me pick meals. Does that mean nothing's being served?
Pretty tough to guess without you letting us know the flight. Is it less than 2 hours? Then you'll be served a plated snack (and the offering will have read "refreshments" at ticketing). This will be something like hummus / cheese / fruit and can never be pre-ordered. Similar if you're outside designated meal times (ie longer flights that leave after 8:00p with a few exceptions ie premium transcons). Are you flying from LA? They've had some well-documented catering issues and have turned off pre-ordering for a lot of the domestic flights
Old Dec 31, 2017, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by maniac78
WOuld be helpful if you post date and city pair.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 12:50 pm

Hawaiian Premium Economy?

Any pics or descriptions of premium economy meals on Hawaii flights?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond; AA EXP / 2MM Lifetime Platnum; Hyatt Diamond
AA 743 Domestic First

AA 743
PHX - CLT
Domestic First
Originally breakfast but due to delay, became a lunch meal
A330-300
1/3/18

Shrimp Salad with spicy corn salad. Pretzel bread among a variety of rolls
Lemon Cake

I enjoyed the meal. Rest of family did not. Other option was cheese enchilada but it ran out pretty quickly.

Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
LGA-ORD
LAA
738 with in-seat AVOD (which again most people were using)

PDB - OJ/Water only.....didn't try for anything else and just took a water

Greek salad with chicken or Lasagna. I loved the salad and thought it was fresh and healthy.....could barely finish the whole thing. Very nice service from this young crew! AA again blows DL away with in-flight service/meals on this route.....I'm sure I could have asked for whatever I wanted on the ground since this crew was so friendly, but wasn't a big deal.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Anyone else having problems with the meal ordering system on domestic flights? I have three sets of flights within the next 30 days that have meals to be served. My early February flights I was able to pick the meals out for the outbound, but since the return has come within the 30 day window I now get an error that the ordering system is down and it has been for a few days now. Weirdly I am able to access my other flights this month where meals are an option so clearly the whole system is not down.

Anyone else having problems with February flights? I wonder if it has anything to do with the new pre-ordering of special meals on domestics going forward?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
1/8/18
LAA 738 w/BSI
PDB served.
For statistical purposes, I found one pistachio and three pecans in my warmed nuts.
Choice of:
Chile Relleno with rice or
Chicken with green beans and tomatoes (I ate the chicken prior to taking the picture).
There were green beans for days in this dish and seemingly no sauce, so I used the salad dressing.
Choice of snickerdoodle or chocolate chip cookie for dessert.

​​​​​​​
railmatt likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by YtravelF
1/8/18
LAA 738 w/BSI
PDB served.
For statistical purposes, I found one pistachio and three pecans in my warmed nuts.
Choice of:
Chile Relleno with rice or
Chicken with green beans and tomatoes (I ate the chicken prior to taking the picture).
There were green beans for days in this dish and seemingly no sauce, so I used the salad dressing.
Choice of snickerdoodle or chocolate chip cookie for dessert.
​​​​
What route?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:44 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
ORD-LGA
LAA 738
Dinner
PDB of choice!

beef filet or the lasagna.....I wanted something lighter so went with the beef and it was fine:

chrisny2 and railmatt like this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:09 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
1/12/18
AA 200
DFW-SFO
A32B
"Refreshments"

No PDB but I was pleasantly surprised to see something beyond the snack basket. Options were grapes and cheese or a cheese dip thing; both included crackers and a chocolate square. Warm nuts also on offer.

Old Jan 13, 2018, 2:08 pm

Hawaii Premium Economy

Originally Posted by railmatt
Any pics or descriptions of premium economy meals on Hawaii flights?
Premium economy DFW-OGG on 12JA17 was the identical boxed lunches served throughout coach, choice of Chicken or Vegetarian Wraps. Standard drink service as well. All we got was the seating, legroom, and Casper Pillow and blanket.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by Segmented
Premium economy DFW-OGG on 12JA17 was the identical boxed lunches served throughout coach, choice of Chicken or Vegetarian Wraps. Standard drink service as well. All we got was the seating, legroom, and Casper Pillow and blanket.
As reported elsewhere on FT, only real difference for AA Premium Economy on the Hawaii routes is better seating and free alcohol.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:38 am

Meal Flight During Non-Meal Times

Hello, I’m looking at booking a 2:30 pm flight out of DFW to RSW and it shows lunch. Is this an error seeing as this is outside traditional meal times?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.