Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (consolidated)

This is the archive of older posts for this subject. For the current thread, please see:

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (2015-onward)
Note: Live AA baggage tracking became available 15 Sep 2015.

Track your bags Link
September 18, 2015:

Hello, Addressee,
AAdvantage Platinum Number:

You can now follow your checked bags from check-in to carousel with your smartphone, laptop or tablet. See real-time information about your bag's status, including when your bag is checked in, on a plane or at baggage claim. All you need is your bag tag number or your record locator.

And, if your flight has Wi-Fi onboard, you can track your bags in the air for free.

Here's how to get started:
  • Go to aa.com/baggage
  • Click "Track your bags"
  • Enter your last name and bag tag # or record locator
Keep track of your bags from check-in to touchdown using your record locator or bag tag number.
NOTE: On itineraries with more than one airline, the responsible airline for lost or delayed baggage is the final carrier; that carrier's procedures may differ from AA's. In any case, most do require if you arrive at your destination and your baggage has not arrived (or has been damaged), be sure to fill out a baggage claim form prior to leaving the airport.

American Airlines: Delayed Baggage
:Baggage delayed less than 5 days
Phone: +1-800-535-5225
24 hours, 7 days a week

Baggage delayed longer than 5 days
See www.aa.com/bagstatus for further information.
American Airlines: Delayed or missing baggage:

We do our best to ensure that your checked bag travels on the same flight with you. If your bag does not arrive on your flight, our goal is to return your bag to you within 24 hours. The measures may take longer for international itineraries due to flight frequency or Customs and Immigration procedures.

Note: These procedures apply when American Airlines or American Eagle are taking you to your final destination.

If you are unable to locate your checked bag:

Notify an American Airlines/American Eagle baggage service agent prior to leaving the airport (If you purchased the American Airlines baggage delivery service provided through BAGS VIP Luggage Delivery in advance of travel, notification must be made within 12 hours of the arrival of the flight on which you traveled.)
  • You will be given a confidential file locator ID and a brochure explaining the recovery process
  • Our Baggage Service desk will contact you periodically to keep you informed of our progress in locating your bag (aspirational statement)
  • Refer to your confidential six-letter file locator (not your PNR) in all conversation and correspondence regarding your delayed bag
  • Use your last name and confidential six-letter baggage file locator (not your PNR)to check the status of your bag.Check Baggage Status
If your bag isn't located in five (5) days:
  • Central Baggage Service will take over the tracing effort
  • Fill out and return a Property Questionnaire within 30 days from the date you traveled
  • Available on the 6th day at www.aa.com/bagstatus.
  • Mailed to your permanent address within 10 days of your travel date.
  • Complete the questionnaire in its entirety including specific details such as colors, sizes, brand names and logos as well as information such as book titles, medication, electronics, gifts, souvenirs and food items
  • Retain a copy for your records
Damaged baggage:

Prompt notification of a damaged bag helps us get your property to you promptly therefore all American Airlines and American Eagle airport locations are equipped to handle the initial report, evaluation and settlement of damage claims. If your bag is damaged, please notify us:
  • In person before leaving the airport
  • At the latest, within 24 hours after you receive your bag for domestic itineraries
  • Within 7 days for international itineraries
Please notify us as soon as possible. Failure to report damage to baggage within the prescribed time limit releases American Airlines and American Eagle from any liability.
Wheels, "protuberances" etc. please see:

Notice regarding damage to wheels, handles, and other components of checked baggage

Baggage_Guidance_rev_11242015.pdf (link)

About this Document

In September 2015, the Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings (Enforcement Office) conducted extensive inspections of U.S. and foreign air carriers’ operations at 16 U.S. airports. The Enforcement Office found, among other things, that carriers routinely exclude from liability damage to specific parts of checked baggage, such as wheels, straps, zippers, handles, and protruding parts. Carriers often post signs indicating that they categorically refuse to compensate passengers for such items. In some instances, carrier agents also discouraged or refused to accept reports of such damage.

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage; FAQ.

Link to aa.com LIABILITY LIMITATIONS regarding baggage - but see

USDOT reminder to airlines compensation is due for damaged wheels, straps, etc.

Link to aa.com DAMAGED BAGGAGE

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage tracking form (need baggage claim file locator number to use)

American Airlines Conditions of Carriage (See BAGGAGE et seq., including Liability.)

Q. What can I do to help prevent or resolve baggage loss?
  • Don't place valuables in your checked baggage; such loss is generally not covered by airline policy. Some airports have higher pilferage and theft rates.
  • Have two baggage tags, affixed at different points on each bag; handles do get torn off.
  • Use a baggage belt: some have TSA-approved locks, and a belt may keep your bag from spilling contents if it becomes damaged. A bright color helps distinguish your bag from similar ones.
  • Add a pom, ribbon or other device enabling you - and others - to distinguish your bag from similar / identical bags.
  • Have identifying information and an itinerary inside your case where it will be seen if the bag is opened (which will occur if external tags are lost). Some use an itinerary tag such as this Magellan's retriever tags.
  • Have a photo or two of your bags on your smartphone to show the baggage clerk exactly what your bag looks like.
Others suggest:
  • Don't use high end luggage; fancy, famous brands and fine finishes make your bag a target of thieves.
  • Airline status tags mark your bag as belonging to a high value customer, but nobody's provided evidence that helps. Some have reported status tagged bags may be targeted for delays during industrial actions such as employee slowdowns or strikes.

Updated: 31 Dec 2015

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.4 mm, Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
Did you pre-clear the immigration in YVR?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...clearance.html
Yup pre-cleared customs and immigration at YVR.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 6:34 am

Programs: AA Gold
JFK Lost/Delayed Baggage Black Hole of Information

Anyone else have bags delayed at JFK? I filed a claim for two bags that didn't make it on AA141 LHR-JFK on Aug. 21. AA's baggage status check indicates bags were on placed on AA101 on Aug. 22. It appears that the bags have now been sitting at JFK for 18 hours but no confirmation is possible.

Calling AA's 800 number routes callers to the North Carolina Call Center. Repeated attempts to contact JFK baggage services by call center representatives go unanswered and now this morning upon JFK office opening at 7am, I was told by call center rep that an "alert" was posted asking that no calls be made to the JFK baggage services office because of the large number of bags being processed.

Anyone have a workaround for JFK baggage services or a direct contact number?

It's looking like the only way I will be able to get more information and get my bags more quickly is to go out to JFK in person. Suggestions?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 9:08 am

Having been recently on a major delayed bag run. Here is my advice:

Make sure they have an address to deliver them to.

Thats it.. just wait, eventually the bags will arrive. Calling, going to the airport etc is a waste of time.. Once they arrive, feel free to email customer relations telling them you are unhappy and then get some miles.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
I'd be more interested in finding out why it wasn't on AA141 with you. Did you check-in late at LHR? I thought bags had to remain with traveler on all International flights to/from the US. (even I had a bag checked at LHR less than 1hr to departure make it on my flt to JFK)

So bag isn't lost. Obviously, since you know it's at JFK you've been keeping track using AAs Delayed Baggage tracker?

If you were told
by call center rep that an "alert" was posted asking that no calls be made to the JFK baggage services office because of the large number of bags being processed.
then what else can they do/do you expect? Was there a major storm in the NYC area that is creating this excessive/massive delay? (been out of the Country myself and now dealing with IRENE in SJU)

I know your frustrated....UA use to ALWAYS misplace my bag when I was a FF on them.

Good luck either way. (sorry I don't have any #s for baggage claim myself)
Old Aug 24, 2011, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by execplatscum
Having been recently on a major delayed bag run. Here is my advice:

Make sure they have an address to deliver them to.

Thats it.. just wait, eventually the bags will arrive. Calling, going to the airport etc is a waste of time.. Once they arrive, feel free to email customer relations telling them you are unhappy and then get some miles.
Thanks for the advice. Verified delivery address. Feel sorry for call center reps who have to deal with unhappy customers and yet can't provide any real information.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by sluggoaafa
I'd be more interested in finding out why it wasn't on AA141 with you. Did you check-in late at LHR? I thought bags had to remain with traveler on all International flights to/from the US. (even I had a bag checked at LHR less than 1hr to departure make it on my flt to JFK)
2 hour delayed departure on original flight to LHR was reason for bags not making it on connecting AA flight with me. I don't blame AA for that. I barely made the connecting flight myself.

So bag isn't lost. Obviously, since you know it's at JFK you've been keeping track using AAs Delayed Baggage tracker?
Yes, was also verified over the phone but online status is useless. It says that bags would be delivered on Aug 22. Well it is now Aug 24 and still no bags. Was told that a tracker system (like FedEx) is being implemented but JFK is not connected for now. I suspect that DFW is.

If you were told then what else can they do/do you expect? Was there a major storm in the NYC area that is creating this excessive/massive delay? (been out of the Country myself and now dealing with IRENE in SJU)
No major storm which contributes to the frustration.

I know your frustrated....UA use to ALWAYS misplace my bag when I was a FF on them.

Good luck either way. (sorry I don't have any #s for baggage claim myself)
Thanks. Got a PM from AA Social Media rep monitoring FT forum. Will see if they can gather any more info. And, got a call this morning from live person verifying delivery address and telling me that bags would be delivered by early evening. BUT, then the automated call and hour later and said that pick up by delivery company from AA was scheduled for 6pm. ...! Tell me one thing and then put in the system something else. So, I call the 800 number and call center rep says that they are still not answering the phone so the best she can do is send JFK a message and ask that they call me. Its now 3pm and still no call back.

My bags have been sitting at JFK for over 48 hours and I have no explanation as to why or any general idea when they will be delivered.

And, it was like pulling teeth to get a Supervisor to give me guidance on what would be considered "reasonable" $$ for needed clothes and basic necessities while I wait for my bags.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 3:04 pm

Thumbs down Lost bag

HELP. I flew from Oz on 24 Aug. My bag didn't make it to Halifax with me. I was home to attend a funeral so had to go out to buy a suit after traveling 34 hours so I cd go to my brothers funeral. I have been on the website, on the phone to everyone I can get hold of. I cannot get a straight answer to where my bag may be (LAX? JFK?) and, to add insult to injury, I had a call today to tell me that this person had authorized $400 for me!!!! I have been without ANY clothes etc for 6 days. $400 doesn't even come close to what i have had to spend. I cannot get the same answer from anyone. The callous disregard for someones property and the total ineptitude is mind boggling. What can I do to try to get someone at American airlines to do something about this?????
Old Aug 30, 2011, 3:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Sorry to hear of your loss; these things make it even more difficult.

What have you done so far? Did you file a missing bag claim at the airport?

This inquiry will me merged into the lost baggage thread for best results.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
It is possible your bag was delayed due to canceled flights from Irene. Your bag at this point is not lost, it is probably delayed. The 400 is pretty generous for a few days. It's not supposed to buy you a new wardrobe.

Now that the airports are opened bags should be arriving again, I am sure they are just backlogged. They should be able to teack your back by the number and tell you where it is. What did they say when you filed your claim? Were they not able to tell you where it was?

Sorry about your brother!
Old Aug 30, 2011, 3:15 pm

Sorry for your loss(es). Recommendation is buy what you need, keep receipts and be prepared to aurgue. The 400 is only meant to soften the blow of the ineptitude not replace all the items your brought and checked. Good luck... my guess is you will be moved and merged with a broader thread soon and be given sage advice of what you should have done.

1. Not checked a bag
2. Brought Travel Insurance

etc.

Bags usually show up but the hurricane likely threw things off a bit. Best of luck to you.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA PLAT
i'm sure the hurricane has screwed up alot of airlines and baggage systems. it these type of situations, I will take things like suits or specific clothes with me as a carry on since they are obviously harder to replace then a t-shirt.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Platinum
who is responsible?

My itinerary was lax-jfk-lhr-fra. It looked like my bags missed the jfk-lhr connection and was routed through dfw-fra. My lhr-fra connection was on BA and I filed the missing baggage claim with BA. I think it was AA's fault but since I filed a claim with BA I will complete my claim with BA.

AA was pretty helpless during this ordeal and BA wasn't much of a help either. I knew where my bags were from the web and would have picked them up myself but I am travelling Over Europe and need to be in certain places at certain times.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 4:11 pm

Any experience dealing with lost bags from outside US

My checked bag was lost somewhere between DFW and MIA on Wednesday .

They are still missing and I presume that I will never see it again.

I am off to MCO tomorrow for a week and figure I will buy replacement stuff there.

The process as explained to me seems to involve paperwork that needs to bounce between me and as relating to covering the expenses of I incurr replacing my stuff.

I was wondering if there are any tips from others who have been in the same situation - I guess I am a bit concerned that at the end of it I will receive a usd check at my home address in Australia which then is inconvenient and expensive to deposit.

Any helpfull hints in dealing with this process would be most appreciated

Matt
Old Nov 5, 2011, 4:21 pm

Programs: Mucci, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Keep in touch with Baggage Services on a daily basis. At the point that you need clothes or toiletries, ask the rep to authorize it. You then need to keep receipts in order to be reimbursed. Having purchased replacement clothes in India, they converted the expenses to USD. If I recall, my reimbursement was about $350. My guess is that they will reimburse in USD.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:05 pm

AA lost my wife's bag somewhere in DFW-MIA-STT and then we took a ferry to the BVI. AA swears that they delivered it onward to Tortola but every time we ask which port in Tortola they respond with, "Huh?" BVI customs has never seen it.

We tried calling the AA baggage desk at STT a number of times but mysteriously couldn't through. On our return journey we visited AA baggage at STT and solved that mystery: we couldn't get through because AA baggage at STT doesn't answer their phone - they just let it ring! They claim never to have seen the bag either.

I do hope that AA finds it, for justice's sake. The bag itself is a cheap throwaway duffle. But the contents... as of today, my wife's yogurt has been baking in the Caribbean sun for three weeks. Somebody deserves to smell that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.