Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KenTarmac
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

This is a quick and updated (periodically, by members) summary of post 1 that will be visible at the top of all pages of this thread.

Check-in times Link

In most locations, you must be checked in:

At least 45 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights within the United States

At least 60 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights to or from airports outside of the United States
CLT airport website: https://www.cltairport.com/

Link to older archived posts.

American operates flights out of concourses (sometimes) A and (always) B, C, D and E.

Ticket counters
Main Terminal - Daily: 3:30 a.m. - 10:30 p.m.

Concourses:
  • Concourse A is used by mostly other airlines (Air Canada, Delta, Frontier, JetBlue, Southwest, United, Via) but American uses Concourse A for some flights
  • Concourse B is usually used for flights to the West
  • Concourse C is usually used for East coast flights. Republic operated flights fly out of C as well.
  • Concourse D (The International Concourse) Most transatlantic flights out of CLT are at the far end of concourse D (Lufthansa and Volaris included)
  • D4 (A and B) are also express gates (Piedmont operated flights.)
  • Concourse E is the American Eagle concourse (Regional flights – RJs)
Maps
From Airport Website

CLT / Charlotte Douglas International Airport map

CLT / Charlotte Douglas International Airport map

Getting from Concourse to Concourse

There is no need to leave the secure area to move from one concourse to another. *Exceptions are arriving international flights. In such case one has to clear immigration and customs, reclaim bags and proceed through security. [Obviously not applicable for those pre-cleared at selected overseas locations such as DUB] Keep in mind that if you purchased any liquids on the plane (duty free) you will have to follow the 3-1-1 rule and even check the bottles!

There are several moving walkways at the airport. At the least, there is a moving walkway at the beginning of each concourse, sometimes there are several (concourses A and E).

Other moving walkways include:
  • Across the atrium between concourses A, B and C.
  • Between the security checkpoint C exit and concourses D and E.
Note: One does have to take stairs/escalator or elevator to get to concourse E as it is on ground level.

Security at CLT
Security wait times can vary widely both by time/day. Monday mornings can have long lines. Checkpoints A and B are often the most crowded. When this is the case it's worth the walk to checkpoints C through E to avoid the long lines.
Since all the checkpoints share access to the secure area it really doesn't matter which one you use, they will all get you access to all gates.
Below is a break down of where the TSA precheck lanes are and where the checkpoints drop you off within the airport.
  • A Checkpoint: Standard 4 a.m. – 8:15 p.m.
  • B Checkpoint: Standard, Main Pre✓ ® 4 a.m. – 8:15 p.m.
  • C Checkpoint: Standard, Flex Lanes 5 a.m. – 9:15 p.m.
  • C Checkpoint: Employee 4 a.m. - 10:15 p.m.
  • D Checkpoint: Main Pre✓ ®, Preferred 6 a.m. – 10:15 p.m.
  • E Checkpoint: Standard 4:30 a.m. – 10:45 p.m.
Reasonable and Minimum connection times in CLT
Most of the time CLT is really good in terms of on-time performance. However summer thunderstorms can drastically affect your travel experience.
  • Domestic Connections: MCT is 40 minutes. A minimum 1 hour scheduled connection time should be sufficient for domestic connections.
  • According to ExpertFlyer, the current MCT for American Airlines International-Domestic are:
AA-AA ID .50 AUA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 BDA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 COUNTRY BS - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.00 COUNTRY CA - ALL
AA-AA ID .50 COUNTRY IE - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.15 REGION EUR - ALL
AA-AA ID 1.00
  • MCT for anything involving international flights is 90 minutes; that will work for domestic to international, but:
  • I'm a non-US passport holder connecting in CLT from an international to a domestic flight. How long of a layover should I schedule?
    A: MCT is 90 minutes, but you should schedule a minimum of 2 hours to be safe to accommodate CBP, claiming your bags and then rechecking. (ie: LHR-CLT-PHX)
Parking at CLT
--Parking info can be found at this link.
*Security Note: If you park using curbside valet your car will be searched.

Cell Phone Lot: Park for free while waiting for arriving flights at CLT’s Cell Phone Lot. All drivers are required to remain with their vehicles. Parking is provided on a first come, first served basis as space is available.

Rental Cars
Rental cars are in the parking deck directly across from the terminal. Follow the signs to the deck and take the escalator or elevator to the second level where you'll find the rental car counters. You no longer have to take a shuttle to the rental cars.
--More info on Rental Cars

Public Transportation
CATS offers service from CLT:
  • Route 5 Sprinter Airport Express - To Center City (Uptown)

Visit the CATS Website for more details and schedules.

Where to eat in the airport
--Good map of CLT Dining

CLT Lounges
  • American Airlines has two Admirals Clubs in CLT: A larger one between concourses C and D and smaller newly renovated one in concourse B.
  • AMEX is adding a new Centurion lounge, at CLT. It will be located after security at the intersection of Concourses D and E, on the top floor of a new airport expansion. Opening Monday, February 24, 2020
  • The Club CLT. Priority Pass lounge located in the A gate connector.
Currency Exchange
There are two Currency Exchange locations in CLT, both operated by Travelex:
  • One location in the center court atrium inside the secured area (airside). This location is open from 7 AM to 10 PM seven days a week.
  • A second currency exchange location has been added at the entrance to the D concourse in front of gates D1 and D2. This location is open from 6:30 AM to 10 PM seven days a week.

How quick is baggage claim in CLT?
  • Baggage claim returns in CLT tend to run a little longer than most airports. Expect a wait time of 20 to 25 minutes on average after deplaning. Depending on workload baggage returns can run upwards of 30 to 45 minutes.
  • Baggage returns for flights arriving on the E concourse and the A Concourse extension can take up to 45 minutes.
Is there a Chapel/Prayer Space? Wireless in CLT
CLT offers free Wi-Fi around the airport. The Admirals Club provides free access for club members through AT&T.

Do I have time to go into Charlotte?
You could take a cab or the city bus (see post Public Transportation above for info). I would venture to town only if there is more than 3 hours to kill and there is nothing you can do at the airport.
Lyft and Uber can both pick up at the airport.

Where can I smoke at the airport?
  • Charlotte Douglas International is a smoke free facility. Smoking is prohibited in all public areas, which includes all restaurants and bars.
  • Smokers on the front curb of the terminal are encouraged to use courtesy areas on each end of Baggage Claim and Ticketing levels.
Are there pet relief areas airside?
There are three:
  • Concourse A Connector
  • Concourse A/B Connector
  • Concourse D
Print Wikipost

GUIDE: CLT / Charlotte Douglas Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by cheltzel
We have a 4 hours Intl-Domestic connection in CLT Saturday around 4PM.

Looking for a half decent place to eat. I don't expect super food in an airport. Just relatively tasty and safe (meaning indigestion free, non greasy, etc).

Open to most kinds of food.
Beaudevin is solid and in the main concourse atrium

if you like burgers, check out Bad Daddy's Burger Bar in Concourse C
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by lds89

Beaudevin was what I saw on a couple of review sites. Thanks!!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by lds89

Beaudevin is definitely quality food for an airport. Would recommend.

Ate at Bad Daddy Burgers today for the first time in Mooresville. Solid burger for a chain.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Have been through CLT a zillion times since the 1980s. I've also misconnected there. The MCT of 40 minutes is doable, but if you are in the back of a large aircraft inbound (e.g. a 321) at the far end of the B concourse (e.g. B16) and your departing flight is at the far end of the E concourse (e.g. E18), you have very little margin to work with. If your inbound is late arriving by as little as 20 minutes in that scenario, be prepared for a misconnect... unless you can run a six-minute mile with bags. The commuter operators are notorious for not holding for late-connecting pax.

Last edited by ccengct; Mar 31, 2017 at 8:36 am
Old Mar 31, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
Originally Posted by cheltzel
We have a 4 hours Intl-Domestic connection in CLT Saturday around 4PM.

Looking for a half decent place to eat. I don't expect super food in an airport. Just relatively tasty and safe (meaning indigestion free, non greasy, etc).

Open to most kinds of food.
I've had some good meals at 1897 Market, which is at the Concourse A/B side of the main atrium area. They have a nice selection of salads, fresh pizzas, and entrees available (I'm a fan of their beet and goat cheese salad) -- it's my go-to option in CLT when I have time for a sitdown meal.

The space is somewhat walled off from main airport space, so I find it gives a bit a of a relaxed break from the chaos of connecting.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by twa777
I've had some good meals at 1897 Market, which is at the Concourse A/B side of the main atrium area. They have a nice selection of salads, fresh pizzas, and entrees available (I'm a fan of their beet and goat cheese salad) -- it's my go-to option in CLT when I have time for a sitdown meal.

The space is somewhat walled off from main airport space, so I find it gives a bit a of a relaxed break from the chaos of connecting.
That was the other I found based on reviews. Thanks.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Hi All - wondering if you all thought we would make this connect.

MBJ -> CLT (61 minutes) -> CVG. Sunday afternoon.

2 adults + 2 kids + 2 checked bags (nothing to gate check). GE but kids always throw a flag due to no biometrics. No status sitting middle of plane.

Or should I start trying to beg a rep now?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by sam_goh

2 adults + 2 kids + 2 checked bags (nothing to gate check). GE but kids always throw a flag due to no biometrics. No status sitting middle of plane.

The MCT is 60 mins, so your connection is legal, barely.

Was there a schedule change that shortened the connection? If yes, then I would definitely call AA.

Like a lot of connections, you'll be ok if everything is on time and there are no delays at immigration/baggage/customs/security, but obviously 61 mins leaves no room for error. If there are later CLT-CVG flights that day, then I wouldn't worry too much.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by sam_goh

We just connected through CLT (from PUJ). Two adults both with GE, with priority bag handling, in business class (row 2) and it took us at least 25 - 30 minutes to exit customs and get to the baggage recheck area. We were out of the plane in no time and with GE we arrived at the baggage carousel in less than 3 or 4 minutes. It took forever for the bags to get there. We had precheck so security was a breeze. But if we did not, I don't know that we could have made a 61 minute connection. It would have been close.

If you could get a better connection without getting charged for the change, I would go for it. But I don't know if I would pay a lot for it though. It would depend on how many flights there are to CVG after yours on Sundays and how full they are.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
@JJeffrey and @cheltzel Thanks for your responses. For the record we made it, but really didn't. We ended up paying for preferred seats - about $120 to sit in rows 6 and 7. Walked fast and cleared immigration with GE with no problems.

But... it took at least 20 minutes for bags to come out. By this time, everyone else on the plane was already off, so the $120 wasn't well spent.

After we rechecked bags and desperately went through security and jog/ran all the way to the gate, we made it to the plane with 1-2 minutes to spare (although they held the plane 10 minutes for 8 of us).

Without GE/TSA pre, this was a no go. And that was an exhausting run with 2 kids and carry-on's.

And of course... I'm waiting on bags to be delivered today as they didn't make the connect.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:27 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
too many pax too little space in B

I've connected several times in CLT, mostly C to B.
A few weeks ago my flt (from LAS) landed in D and I connected to B:
The end gate area in D is SUPER SPACIOUS a far cry from B (end gates), several flights (in very cramped area) were jumbled together, so it was hard to find which line went with a given flight.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by nrr
I've connected several times in CLT, mostly C to B.
A few weeks ago my flt (from LAS) landed in D and I connected to B:
The end gate area in D is SUPER SPACIOUS a far cry from B (end gates), several flights (in very cramped area) were jumbled together, so it was hard to find which line went with a given flight.
Yep, D is newer and serves most international flights. By far the most spacious. The walkways and gate areas of C & B are a total joke, way cramped and overcrowded.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yep, D is newer and serves most international flights. By far the most spacious. The walkways and gate areas of C & B are a total joke, way cramped and overcrowded.
Unfortunately that was all designed and built in a time when Piedmont was primarily flying planes like 737s that carried considerably fewer passengers than the A321s that seem to dominate there today. Load factors were much lower then too (ah, for the days when it was common to have an empty middle seat).

I know there have been plans in the works to expand at least B concourse, but it's tough to pull off since it most of the concourse has to be in use at the same time. Construction is also underway on a new concourse, and that might given them some short-term spare capacity to make it easier to do the work on B.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Unfortunately that was all designed and built in a time when Piedmont was primarily flying planes like 737s that carried considerably fewer passengers than the A321s that seem to dominate there today. Load factors were much lower then too (ah, for the days when it was common to have an empty middle seat).

I know there have been plans in the works to expand at least B concourse, but it's tough to pull off since it most of the concourse has to be in use at the same time. Construction is also underway on a new concourse, and that might given them some short-term spare capacity to make it easier to do the work on B.
I noticed yesterday that CLT is A321 city. I remember back in the mid 90s when I flew USAir CLT was the sleepy hub and PIT had all the action. I had been away from CLT from 2000 to 2014 and oh what a change.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:01 pm
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Getting through the C terminal can be a joke--especially around the middle of the concourse. I think some of those gate areas were sized for DC-4s. Those waiting to board are often pushed way into the walkway area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.