Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
Moderator Wikipost

For AA's announcement of their new One-Way Flex Awards, see: http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/newsr...FlexAwards.jsp

For AA's FAQ on the new One-Way Flex Awards, including the new stopover rule, see: http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...award_faqs.jsp
Q: Do one-way awards include any stopovers?
A: Awards between North America and Europe, India, Asia, and Central / South America allow a stopover at the North American gateway. However, other one-way awards do not allow stopovers.
Note that free stopovers have been eliminated as of 8 April 2014, so that portion of this discussion is no longer current.

/AA Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Old May 10, 2009, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by William2005
I appreciate that others appear to welcome the addition of one way awards and don't care about the subtraction of stopovers, but I am the opposite.

Has anyone confirmed that this change applies also to All-Partner awards?

If so, my plans to use my 600k miles were just blown out of the water.

If United does not match American's elimination of a stopover at the international gateway, I will probably try to earn United miles instead of American miles at the margins.

I am with you... the loss of international stopovers is a big deal to us. I really don't care for another day in NYC, LAX, DFW, MIA.

I guess HNL and SJU are okay, but really not what I need either.

But, as far as I understand it this rule includes North American gateways, so MEX, YYR etc should still be included, right?
Old May 10, 2009, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by reubencahn
I've scanned this thread, and I'm confused. Is the belief that international stopovers are disappearing based on a single agent's statement? Is there anything else?
Good point. I hope it turns out to not be true.

The one way thing isnt really a big deal to me ... I might save 10K miles every couple of years or so, but really no big deal. The loss of stopovers (if it turns out to be true), however, puts a huge dent in how much I value the my miles.
Old May 10, 2009, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by WalkinBackToTexas
Good point. I hope it turns out to not be true.

The one way thing isnt really a big deal to me ... I might save 10K miles every couple of years or so, but really no big deal. The loss of stopovers (if it turns out to be true), however, puts a huge dent in how much I value the my miles.
No, I agree it's a big deal. I just wondered if there was any hard evidence that there really will be no international stopovers allowed.
Old May 10, 2009, 11:43 am

Programs: ANA, JAL, AA
I've scanned this thread, and I'm confused. Is the belief that international stopovers are disappearing based on a single agent's statement? Is there anything else?
Just tried JFK-EZE-MVD-JFK for Nov on AA.com:

Flight 1: JFK/EZE
Miles Used:20,000

Flight 2: EZE/MVD
Miles Used:12,500

Flight 3: MVD/JFK

No free stopover at Buenos Aires
Old May 10, 2009, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by calhk

I guess that's confirmation. Anyone tried to book a partner award with an international gateway stopover?
Old May 10, 2009, 11:54 am

No, I agree it's a big deal. I just wondered if there was any hard evidence that there really will be no international stopovers allowed.
I confirmed this with an agent (no more free stopovers).

Overall the changes are a big negative for me. The EVIP complications (increasingly harder for me to find affordable upgradeable fares) already had me looking around, so I wonder how this new stopover rule compares to other carrier mileage programs??

Last edited by WalkinBackToTexas; May 10, 2009 at 12:04 pm
Old May 10, 2009, 12:28 pm

The no intl. stopovers is a big negative for me as well. The value of the FF program continues to be eroded!
Old May 10, 2009, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat; HH Gold; Marriott Silver; UCLA Fan
Sorry.

Last edited by srk123; May 10, 2009 at 1:03 pm
Old May 10, 2009, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat; HH Gold; Marriott Silver; UCLA Fan

Are you sure you want to use 12,500 miles to go from Buenos Aires to Montivideo? It's a quick 45-minute flight to go a short distance, which can be done on public transportation (I've done it on Buquebus--(google it), without having to utilize two international airports--the one in Buenos Aires is a long ride from town and requires a check-in 2 hours before your flight because it's international.
Old May 10, 2009, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Try it over the phone -- and try it a few times if necessary -- to find out what the precisely worded limitation is.
Old May 10, 2009, 1:13 pm

Programs: ANA, JAL, AA
Originally Posted by srk123
Are you sure you want to use 12,500 miles to go from Buenos Aires to Montivideo? It's a quick 45-minute flight to go a short distance, which can be done on public transportation (I've done it on Buquebus--(google it), without having to utilize two international airports--the one in Buenos Aires is a long ride from town and requires a check-in 2 hours before your flight because it's international.
Of course I would never book such an itinerary.
I just show it as an example that no free international stopover is allowed.
Old May 10, 2009, 1:47 pm

Still confused about the following scenario (or something similar): Say you depart from FCO(on a late morning/noon flight to LHR-using BA, since no award seats are available on AA). The FCO flight will not allow enough time to make a connection to U.S. so the next connection is the next day? Is this allowable if you take the first flight out the next day?
Old May 10, 2009, 1:51 pm

Just got thru to AA, and the agent indicated that you could take the first flight out the next morning. You have up to 24 hours. So I guess mini- stopovers are still allowed.

Originally Posted by aceflyer2
Still confused about the following scenario (or something similar): Say you depart from FCO(on a late morning/noon flight to LHR-using BA, since no award seats are available on AA). The FCO flight will not allow enough time to make a connection to U.S. so the next connection is the next day? Is this allowable if you take the first flight out the next day?
Old May 10, 2009, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM

I'm not sure the validity of this exercise. On AA.com (https://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do...ardDetails.jsp) it states:

Award reservations may be booked online as round-trip or one-way itineraries If two or more passengers are travelling and the award miles are drawn from different accounts, please book each reservation separately. If you would like to make a reservation that includes a stopover or an open-jaw, please contact AAdvantage Reservations at 1-800-882-8880.

Therefore, not being able to book an international stopover on AA.com does not necessarily preclude that it would be available by phone.
Old May 10, 2009, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by aceflyer2
It depends on if AA wants to apply some kind of "within 6 hours or next scheduled flight" rule for connections on the award ticket itinerary. If/where AA does apply such a rule, customers would be wasting their time if trying to manipulate the possibilities by temporarily booking up the award space on earlier same-day or next-day flights to force a later than 6-hours (even if still under 24 hours) since it's the schedule and not the award space inventory availability on a given flight that they have used to stick customers with such a rule.

For regular paid tickets and for those airline programs where I am allowed one-way award bookings for half the roundtrip miles, international connections under 24 hours -- even where there are earlier connecting flights -- have not been an issue. I cannot say the same about AA where this has been an issue, and a painful one when it involves also changing between LHR and LGW in the middle of the night.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.