Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: AA Boarding Priority, Order and Related Issues (as of 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Guide to AA Boarding Priority, Order and Times
including minimum gate arrival time to board
Link to "Boarding Process" page on aa.com

See the current charts in Post #1.

CURRENT Boarding process as of Apr 2018

(NOTE: The archived thread discussing the announcement, etc. can be read here: ARCHIVE: AA announces new boarding policy effective 1 March 2017

NOTE: Changes have been implemented 01 March 2017, as tweeted by JonNYC. See American Airlines announces new boarding policy effective 1 March 2017

Link to March 1 boarding process on aa.com.

On March 1, 2017, American Airlines will launch a new, simplified boarding process. In the future, all customers will be assigned a group number (1 through 9) based on their ticket type, elite status level and priority. We will call the group number in our announcements rather than all customer types. The boarding order will be the same, with only minor exceptions. The change is in how we refer to each group on boarding passes and announcements. Our ConciergeKey members will be invited to board prior to general boarding.
  • Preboard: Pax requiring assistance, ConciergeKey (+ Five Star customers)
  • Group 1 - First class or 2 cabin international Business class / Active duty U.S. military with military I.D. link(Business on a 2-class international plane)
  • Group 2 - Executive Platinum / oneworld Emerald / 3 Cabin Business class
  • Group 3 - Platinum Pro / Platinum / oneworld Sapphire
  • Group 4 - Gold, oneworld Ruby, Air Pass, Premium Economy, Executive Citi credit card, purchased Priority Boarding
    Group 5 (preferred boarding) - Main Cabin Extra (excluding Basic Economy), Eligible corporate travelers**, Other AAdvantage eligible credit cards*
  • Group 6 - 8 - Coach Groups, Basic Economy on longhaul transoceanic
  • Group 9 - Basic Economy within the U.S., Canada, Mexico & Caribbean

*Eligible AAdvantageŽ credit cardmembers (on American Airlines flights) include:
  • CitiŽ / AAdvantageŽ Platinum Select World EliteTM MastercardŽ
  • CitiBusinessŽ / AAdvantageŽ Platinum Select World EliteTM MastercardŽ
  • CitiŽ / AAdvantageŽ Platinum SelectŽ American ExpressŽ Card
  • CitiŽ / AAdvantageŽ Platinum SelectŽ Visa Signature
  • AAdvantageŽ AviatorTM Silver MastercardŽ
  • AAdvantageŽ AviatorTM Red MastercardŽ
  • AAdvantageŽ AviatorTM Business MastercardŽ

NOTE: AA recent policy has included "Should you arrive at the gate after Priority customers have been called, you may bypass the General Boarding lines and enjoy the convenience of boarding anytime via your new dedicated boarding lane." (American Airlines policy.)

See Ben Schlappig / Lucky's blog here.

Boarding times See chart in first post.

NOTE: AA gate agents seem to often and unpredictably begin boarding earlier than the scheduled times mentioned below.

50 minutes prior to departure From/To the United States and:="4"%Europe
Middle East
Asia
South American destinations: Asuncion, PY; Brasilia, BR; Belo Horizonte, BR; Curitiba, Br; Buenos Aires, AR; Rio de Janeiro, BR; Sao Paulo, BR; Lima, PE; Montevideo, UY; Porto Alegre, BR; Recife, BR; Salvador, BR; Santiago, CL; Sao Paulo Viracop, BR

45 minutes prior to departure - From/To the United States and:="4"%Caribbean
Central America
Hawaii
Mexico
South American destinations: La Paz, BO; Santa Cruz, BO; Maracaibo, VE; Caracas, VE; Bogota, CO; Cali, CO; Medellin, CO; Guayaquil, EC; Quito, EC

35 minutes prior to departure - Domestic on these aircraft types: A321, A321S, A330, B757, B767, B787, B777="4"%Within the 48 contiguous states
Alaska
Canada

30 minutes prior to departure - Domestic on these aircraft types: A319, A320, A321T, E190, S80, B737="4"%Within the 48 contiguous states
Alaska
Canada
At the Gate prior to boarding

Conditions of Carriage (Link

"Arrival at Gate
You must be at the gate and ready to board the aircraft:

15 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -within- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands

30 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -outside- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands, i.e., Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, Central/South America, Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda"

For gate arrival, AA states: "Recommended before your flight: Link

30 minutes

Be at the gate, ready to board. Doors close 10 minutes before departure – once they close you'll be denied boarding."
The posts made prior to 1 Mar 2017 may be read here.

Print Wikipost

GUIDE: AA Boarding Priority, Order and Related Issues (as of 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: DIAMANTAIRE EXTRAORDINAIRE
hello had a question:

My boarding pass has :
Group 2

then it also mentions : priority
& below that it says : BE196

what does BE196 mean ?

Thanx
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by diamantaire
hello had a question:

My boarding pass has :
Group 2

then it also mentions : priority
& below that it says : BE196

what does BE196 mean ?

Thanx
Nothing to do with boarding.

You are travelling on your Belgium (BE) passport and the last 3 digits of that passport are 196.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: DIAMANTAIRE EXTRAORDINAIRE
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
Nothing to do with boarding.

You are travelling on your Belgium (BE) passport and the last 3 digits of that passport are 196.

Thanx a lot for the info

I thought it wss something concerning business extra account ^
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

There's something wrong with AA and assigning boarding group for oneworld elites.
Every so often, the corporate travel booking tool adds my AA # instead of my BA #, prompting a phone call to AA.. the agent almost always has a problem trying to swap FF #s in the record. They manage to add the BA# instead but I end up with boarding group 6, despite being OW Emerald. It's kind of ridiculous.

Will try asking the awesome AAngels in ORD G concourse AC. Check-in agents tend to be meh.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by izzik
There's something wrong with AA and assigning boarding group for oneworld elites.
Every so often, the corporate travel booking tool adds my AA # instead of my BA #, prompting a phone call to AA.. the agent almost always has a problem trying to swap FF #s in the record. They manage to add the BA# instead but I end up with boarding group 6, despite being OW Emerald. It's kind of ridiculous.

Will try asking the awesome AAngels in ORD G concourse AC. Check-in agents tend to be meh.
Can you change it using finnair's website?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
Can you change it using finnair's website?
No, finnair website doesn't recognize AA record locators.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:14 am

As expected, the agent at G Conc AC fixed it.
The issue was that the BA# was not attached to each segment, which is required.
She inputted it as BA12345678-1 and BA12345678-2 for a roundtrip.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Fascinating AA IT at work.

My BP: "Group 5 - Credit cardmember"
Traveling companion's BP: "Group 4 - Priority"
HUH?

One PNR, no status, discounted fare. I suppose we can use Priority Access check-in/security/boarding?
Old Jun 10, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1865 Voyager, *G
Originally Posted by Tennen
Fascinating AA IT at work.

My BP: "Group 5 - Credit cardmember"
Traveling companion's BP: "Group 4 - Priority"
HUH?

One PNR, no status, discounted fare. I suppose we can use Priority Access check-in/security/boarding?
When I travel with my GF, she ends up getting Group 4 as well (I'm EXP, therefore Group 2 most of the time -- and I have a CC entitling Group 5). There's nothing to suggest she should get Group 4 so I've long suspected it's "lazy coding" (similar to HKG being treated as China for OLCI likely looking for a visa where none is required) that any inherited status for a companion with the new 9-group sequence defaults to "Group 4" as if they had bought Priority access.

Certainly that makes no sense, but I think we've seen a bunch of statused people on PNRs having their companions (including minors, etc.) defaulted down to Group 4?

Of course everyone still boards together...
Old Jun 11, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by dp4m
When I travel with my GF, she ends up getting Group 4 as well (I'm EXP, therefore Group 2 most of the time -- and I have a CC entitling Group 5). There's nothing to suggest she should get Group 4 so I've long suspected it's "lazy coding" (similar to HKG being treated as China for OLCI likely looking for a visa where none is required) that any inherited status for a companion with the new 9-group sequence defaults to "Group 4" as if they had bought Priority access.

Certainly that makes no sense, but I think we've seen a bunch of statused people on PNRs having their companions (including minors, etc.) defaulted down to Group 4?

Of course everyone still boards together...
"Alright champ, you're gonna be boarding in group 4 and I'll be boarding group 2. Come look for me on the plane"
Old Jun 11, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA~AA~HH~Hyatt~WN
Family of 4 traveling on same itinerary, I don't have an AA credit card, but my husband and daughter both do (Plat Select).
I checked in for our flight for the four of us, and we got group 6 instead of 5. I'm thinking that's because I did the checking in instead of one of the 2 that have a card?
I called AA, and the rep tried to tell me the reason is because we didn't pay with the CC....Not true, right?
And I know it's just 6 vs. 5, but I'm curious what happened.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 2:12 pm

Do your husband and daughter see "AAdvantageŽ cardmember" when they log into aa.com? Is their aadvantage account number on their reservation? If so, they should get the benefit whatever card was used to pay.

See https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ng-process.jsp

Did they get the cards very recently?

Last edited by richarddd; Jun 11, 2017 at 2:19 pm
Old Jun 11, 2017, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by richarddd
Do your husband and daughter see "AAdvantageŽ cardmember" when they log into aa.com? Is their aadvantage account number on their reservation? If so, they should get the benefit whatever card was used to pay.
Yes, when I log on to his account on a computer, it says he's a card holder right there on the front page, but I don't know where to find it on the mobile app.
He did book these tickets using BA miles, could that be an issue?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 2:28 pm

Thanks for the link, I had looked that up before posting.

Husband has been a card member almost a year, daughter 2 months.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by northsider
Yes, when I log on to his account on a computer, it says he's a card holder right there on the front page, but I don't know where to find it on the mobile app.
He did book these tickets using BA miles, could that be an issue?
If his AA number is not in the reservations least 7 days before the flight, then the card benefits don't apply. Booking with BA miles, the AA number typically would not be in the reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.