Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: AA Boarding Priority, Order and Related Issues (as of 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Guide to AA Boarding Priority, Order and Times
including minimum gate arrival time to board
Link to "Boarding Process" page on aa.com

See the current charts in Post #1.

CURRENT Boarding process as of Apr 2018

(NOTE: The archived thread discussing the announcement, etc. can be read here: ARCHIVE: AA announces new boarding policy effective 1 March 2017

NOTE: Changes have been implemented 01 March 2017, as tweeted by JonNYC. See American Airlines announces new boarding policy effective 1 March 2017

Link to March 1 boarding process on aa.com.

On March 1, 2017, American Airlines will launch a new, simplified boarding process. In the future, all customers will be assigned a group number (1 through 9) based on their ticket type, elite status level and priority. We will call the group number in our announcements rather than all customer types. The boarding order will be the same, with only minor exceptions. The change is in how we refer to each group on boarding passes and announcements. Our ConciergeKey members will be invited to board prior to general boarding.
  • Preboard: Pax requiring assistance, ConciergeKey (+ Five Star customers)
  • Group 1 - First class or 2 cabin international Business class / Active duty U.S. military with military I.D. link(Business on a 2-class international plane)
  • Group 2 - Executive Platinum / oneworld Emerald / 3 Cabin Business class
  • Group 3 - Platinum Pro / Platinum / oneworld Sapphire
  • Group 4 - Gold, oneworld Ruby, Air Pass, Premium Economy, Executive Citi credit card, purchased Priority Boarding
    Group 5 (preferred boarding) - Main Cabin Extra (excluding Basic Economy), Eligible corporate travelers**, Other AAdvantage eligible credit cards*
  • Group 6 - 8 - Coach Groups, Basic Economy on longhaul transoceanic
  • Group 9 - Basic Economy within the U.S., Canada, Mexico & Caribbean

*Eligible AAdvantage® credit cardmembers (on American Airlines flights) include:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select World EliteTM Mastercard®
  • CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select World EliteTM Mastercard®
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® American Express® Card
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Visa Signature
  • AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver Mastercard®
  • AAdvantage® AviatorTM Red Mastercard®
  • AAdvantage® AviatorTM Business Mastercard®

NOTE: AA recent policy has included "Should you arrive at the gate after Priority customers have been called, you may bypass the General Boarding lines and enjoy the convenience of boarding anytime via your new dedicated boarding lane." (American Airlines policy.)

See Ben Schlappig / Lucky's blog here.

Boarding times See chart in first post.

NOTE: AA gate agents seem to often and unpredictably begin boarding earlier than the scheduled times mentioned below.

50 minutes prior to departure From/To the United States and:="4"%Europe
Middle East
Asia
South American destinations: Asuncion, PY; Brasilia, BR; Belo Horizonte, BR; Curitiba, Br; Buenos Aires, AR; Rio de Janeiro, BR; Sao Paulo, BR; Lima, PE; Montevideo, UY; Porto Alegre, BR; Recife, BR; Salvador, BR; Santiago, CL; Sao Paulo Viracop, BR

45 minutes prior to departure - From/To the United States and:="4"%Caribbean
Central America
Hawaii
Mexico
South American destinations: La Paz, BO; Santa Cruz, BO; Maracaibo, VE; Caracas, VE; Bogota, CO; Cali, CO; Medellin, CO; Guayaquil, EC; Quito, EC

35 minutes prior to departure - Domestic on these aircraft types: A321, A321S, A330, B757, B767, B787, B777="4"%Within the 48 contiguous states
Alaska
Canada

30 minutes prior to departure - Domestic on these aircraft types: A319, A320, A321T, E190, S80, B737="4"%Within the 48 contiguous states
Alaska
Canada
At the Gate prior to boarding

Conditions of Carriage (Link

"Arrival at Gate
You must be at the gate and ready to board the aircraft:

15 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -within- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands

30 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -outside- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands, i.e., Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, Central/South America, Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda"

For gate arrival, AA states: "Recommended before your flight: Link

30 minutes

Be at the gate, ready to board. Doors close 10 minutes before departure – once they close you'll be denied boarding."
The posts made prior to 1 Mar 2017 may be read here.

Print Wikipost

GUIDE: AA Boarding Priority, Order and Related Issues (as of 2018)

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2017, 6:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by kb9522
AA cardholders board in group 4. There is no requirement for the ticket to have been purchased with the card. Not sure if these benefits apply to others on the same PNR.
The T&C of the card provides that up to 8 passengers on the same PNR will also receive Priority Boarding (Group 4).
Old May 12, 2017, 5:44 pm

Yesterday I had a J ticket on an AA flight from LHR-LAX but my boarding pass was issued by BA, and did not have an AA Group Number, but instead it was labeled U. It was a 772-Boeing 777 two-class seating.

Wanna guess what group I got to board with?
Old May 12, 2017, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by cheaptom
Yesterday I had a J ticket on an AA flight from LHR-LAX but my boarding pass was issued by BA, and did not have an AA Group Number, but instead it was labeled U. It was a 772-Boeing 777 two-class seating.

10?
Old May 12, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by cheaptom

Group 7.
Old May 12, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by jcatman
Group 7.
Although completely wrong, my money is on Group 7 as well.

Obviously the "correct" answer is Group 1 since you were in J on a 2-class aircraft.
Old May 24, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Citi AA Platinum Select cardmember here. Booked flight via TYP portal. AAdvantage# has been on reservation for months. Got group 7. Should be group 5, no?
Old May 24, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by italdesign
Citi AA Platinum Select cardmember here. Booked flight via TYP portal. AAdvantage# has been on reservation for months. Got group 7. Should be group 5, no?
When you log into your AA account, does it identify you as a card holder?
Old May 24, 2017, 8:23 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by kb9522
AA cardholders board in group 4. There is no requirement for the ticket to have been purchased with the card. Not sure if these benefits apply to others on the same PNR.
Actually it is group 5. Citi Exec boards in group 4.

Group 5 (Preferred boarding) Main Cabin Extra
Eligible AAdvantage® credit cardmembers*
Eligible corporate travelers**
Old May 25, 2017, 6:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Not a lot of improvements lately. PHL -> DEN yesterday had major gate lice present at C30. Most flyers blocking the way were in Group 5. Then multiple people shoving their way through to "queue up" were in group 7. I had to barge my way through it all to board with Group 1, and then the agent promptly called 2, 3, and 4 together. Almost got knocked over by the herd of people who swarmed the jet bridge.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Boarding announcements are now Concierge Key and then strictly by group number - no mention of EXP, Plat, Gold, or any elite levels at all. Very much like Southwest these days.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:12 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Boarding announcements are now Concierge Key and then strictly by group number - no mention of EXP, Plat, Gold, or any elite levels at all. Very much like Southwest these days.
Indeed: like Southwest, very clear, even to those (ie the vast majority) who don't know which precious metal branding applies to which airline. But of course nothing like Southwest in that you don't have to fight for a seat and can thus board last if you don't care about overhead bin space. It's not perfect (no system will be), but definitely an improvement.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
When you log into your AA account, does it identify you as a card holder?
yep, it says "Citi® / AAdvantage® cardmember" when I login.
Old May 26, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by italdesign
yep, it says "Citi® / AAdvantage® cardmember" when I login.
I guess you'll need to call AA. If the card was added recently, dropping and re-adding your FF# to the res might suffice. Otherwise who knows what they'll have to do to sort this out.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by akarneboge
Not a lot of improvements lately. PHL -> DEN yesterday had major gate lice present at C30. Most flyers blocking the way were in Group 5. Then multiple people shoving their way through to "queue up" were in group 7. I had to barge my way through it all to board with Group 1, and then the agent promptly called 2, 3, and 4 together. Almost got knocked over by the herd of people who swarmed the jet bridge.
BWI>PHX last week, same thing. The sign says Group 1-4 on the "priority" side of the queue and literally everyone from Group 1-5 just lined the area and queued up well before boarding even began. The all-too-quick succession of calling CK, military, group one and then almost immediately 2, 3, 4 was mass mayhem. I was group 1 and ended up well behind many with 2 and 3 boarding passes in their hands. Guy ahead of me also proceeded to drop off his bag in the F overhead before he headed back to economy. Just an all-around mess of boarding.

GA's have been better about educating just one group at a time but then occasionally you have this happen.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:25 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Haven't seen this problem since the new system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.