Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund

The latest change policy may be read here (Thanks to MRP Alert for resource link.)
The above link appears to be broken. The latest change policy, as of June 13, 2023, can be found here.

As of March 2022:
  • Limited changes allowed if schedule change is 60 minutes or less.
  • More flexibility if schedule change is 61 minutes or more.
  • Refunds on non-refundable fares typically require a schedule change of 241 minutes or more.

NOTE: The Detailed Fare Rules for your ticket(s) details refundability, etc. You can read (and print to PDF, etc.) before you purchase. Regardless of fare title (Refundable, Flexible, etc.) you should read these prior to purchase.

beachfan has shared:

I believe if it's an equipment swap, to a less desirable plane (I.e, 777 to 738) then yes, full refund, otherwise it's 120 minutes. One Mile at a Time blog covered this and referred to the contract of carriage (or whatever the linked document is called; it's titled general rules).

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irplane-change

International Tariff (March 2023)

International General Rules

Code:
SCHEDULE CHANGE
IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE
CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
(I) AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR
ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
(II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE
STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
(IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR
OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA
OR IT'S TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE
TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE
OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR
REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE
SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION. HOWEVER, THE
PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS
RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.
Older posts may be read here.
Print Wikipost

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:27 pm

Hi folks, I have a very interesting situation here and want to get your opinions.

I first booked a HKG/LAX RT-ticket in Main Cabin, two days later I paid an extra $300 to upgrade to MCE for both ways. Then a schedule change (of less than 60min) happened, and a week later I noticed the upgrade fee was refunded to me.

At first I thought that means I have lost my MCE seat and have to redo the upgrade. To my surprise, AA.com still shows my previous MCE seat assignment and the cost summary still reflects the MCE upgrade fee!!

At this point I gave AA a call, I think the agent was also confused of how this could have happened, but her theory is that this is caused by some computer glitches, and I basically got the MCE for free because they won't charge me again.

Have anyone ever experienced this? Would they found this out at check-in time and deny my boarding/MCE seats?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:30 pm

Ignore this message
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:28 pm

Had a schedule change that actually pushed my arrival two and half hours earlier. Not necessarily disastrous, but one of the legs was also swapped to a CRJ-200 from another express carrier. Somewhat annoyed at that and thinking about just rebooking United instead. I know a 2 hour later arrival is eligible for a refund; is that also true for a 2 hour earlier arrival?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Had a schedule change that actually pushed my arrival two and half hours earlier. Not necessarily disastrous, but one of the legs was also swapped to a CRJ-200 from another express carrier. Somewhat annoyed at that and thinking about just rebooking United instead. I know a 2 hour later arrival is eligible for a refund; is that also true for a 2 hour earlier arrival?
I think it has to do with a two-hour schedule change, so you should be good to request a refund.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
In the Refunds thread AA says "61 minute change".
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:44 pm

In the Refund thread linked AA page it says "61 minute change".
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:25 am

So I called AA this morning and the agent attempted to do the refund but could not so I then did it online. The request seemed to have been submitted correctly, but checking on the request it says "We couldn't find your request. Please check that you entered the right ticket number"

Does this mean the request was not successful or AA hasn't received it as yet?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, JMB Sapphire
SWU to new ticket after schedule change

Original ticket: roundtrip Japan-US flights on AA, with SWUs successfully applied to both the outbound and inbound TPAC legs. Months after booking, AA notified me about schedule change: the inbound TPAC departure now leaves ~3 hours earlier, which does not work with my schedule. After searching available flights, I see that with some flexibility on my end and a different routing (but with the SAME TPAC legs), there are flights pricing at $500 less than what I originally paid. Note: All TPAC flights are currently C0 for the relevant dates (unsurprisingly).

My plan:
1. Book one of the new flights (probably on Amex Travel to take advantage of Amex offer) with the SAME TPAC legs.
2. Call AA EXP and ask agent to remove my SWUs from original ticket and apply to new ticket.
3. Cancel my original ticket for full refund.

Any thoughts on whether this work? I'm thinking that it should, but it is my first time in this situation.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
So I called AA this morning and the agent attempted to do the refund but could not so I then did it online. The request seemed to have been submitted correctly, but checking on the request it says "We couldn't find your request. Please check that you entered the right ticket number"

Does this mean the request was not successful or AA hasn't received it as yet?
It seems to take overnight before the system will show that the refund was actually properly entered into the system. Check again today.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:25 am

Is there a mass schedule change coming up? I have a booking for April 2018 which has multiple short and longhaul sectors including OW partner. I would rather cancel this than fly it, but as it is inflexible (no cancellations) I was hoping for some sort of schedule change to benefit from a refund/credit.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Mirage07
Original ticket: roundtrip Japan-US flights on AA, with SWUs successfully applied to both the outbound and inbound TPAC legs. Months after booking, AA notified me about schedule change: the inbound TPAC departure now leaves ~3 hours earlier, which does not work with my schedule. After searching available flights, I see that with some flexibility on my end and a different routing (but with the SAME TPAC legs), there are flights pricing at $500 less than what I originally paid. Note: All TPAC flights are currently C0 for the relevant dates (unsurprisingly).

My plan:
1. Book one of the new flights (probably on Amex Travel to take advantage of Amex offer) with the SAME TPAC legs.
2. Call AA EXP and ask agent to remove my SWUs from original ticket and apply to new ticket.
3. Cancel my original ticket for full refund.

Any thoughts on whether this work? I'm thinking that it should, but it is my first time in this situation.
This won't work. You will not be able to transfer your confirmed SWU space from your old ticket to your new ticket. The only way you could take the new routing and keep your confirmed SWU is to ask an agent to re-route your EXISTING ticket on the route you desire. That they should be able to do without a problem given the significant schedule change.

Booking a new ticket will require you to cancel your existing reservation first for a full refund (AA won't allow a duplicate booking even if the routing is different). You would then be chancing that your confirmed upgrade space get's released back into C inventory which is possible, but not likely since you mention its several months since original ticketing (you won't be able to know until after you pull the trigger unfortunately). You will end up on the waitlist if this doesn't happen. Only you can determine if a $500 savings is worth that risk.I personally wouldn't do it.

Might be worth bringing up to the agent that this new routing is cheaper than what you originally ticketed by $500. You might get a sympathetic agent to refund the $500 to a voucher for future use.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
I maybe haven't searched well enough. AA doesn't publish anything on their main website like a few other carriers.

Is AA offering any options for travelers already booked to Cuba who wish to adhere to the State Departments Advisory discouraging travel? Or simply SOL (either take the segments or lose the money)?
Old Oct 29, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA
Future flight - rebooked on different flights

I'm sorry if this is covered elsewhere but I don't know the terminology to search for.

I have a future flight that has been auto rebooked by AA on different flights the same day that have different departure times and arrival times that differ by greater than 4 hours than originally scheduled.

It's not the end of the world but I was hoping to arrive earlier at my destination as I had originally booked.

Do I have any recourse here?
Old Oct 29, 2017, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by theshaun
I'm sorry if this is covered elsewhere but I don't know the terminology to search for.

I have a future flight that has been auto rebooked by AA on different flights the same day that have different departure times and arrival times that differ by greater than 4 hours than originally scheduled.

It's not the end of the world but I was hoping to arrive earlier at my destination as I had originally booked.

Do I have any recourse here?
With time changes that substantial you have plenty of recourse. Determine which flights would suit better and availability, call AA. Nobody should hassle you with a four hour change.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 2:05 pm

1hr 20min departure time change for afternoon fly sfo-ord. Agent says I can't change to next day? Only same day later, but I don't wanna take a redeye. I thought you can change it to next day. She suggested to refund it, but of course the next day tix are super expensive.

Anyone know if it's possible to change to next day am w/o fee?

Last edited by Noodlesz; Oct 29, 2017 at 2:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.