Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Energy Plus AA Bonus Offers (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Energy Plus AA Bonus Offers (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2011, 9:23 am

Programs: AA PLT, AA 1MM, Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by NYBanker
I posted about my experience with EnergyPlus. They will cost you far more than the value of the miles you get.

It might be worth signing up for the initial bonus, but you should switch away as soon as it posts.

http://www.sitinfirst.com/2011/03/be...ur-power-bill/
Thank you; I will keep a close eye on this. We just switched a month or two ago and the most recent bill has the rate we signed up with but I will keep a look out to see what happens in subsequent months. Particularly here in TX where our electricity cost skyrockets in summer!
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:00 am

Did I just screw myself on this?

I signed up for Energy Plus (in TX) and knew that the rate would go up after the first month. Figuring one month at a low rate and one higher rate would average to be okay. Near the end of the 2nd month, I applied to a different provider (lower rate, no miles) to switch for the start of month 3 (not earlier).

Thinking I'd get my AA bonus, I realize in the small print, they way they define 2 months may disqualify me.

See underlined part. I can either think A) This is a way for them to say I didn't have 2 "active" months of service (i.e. you really need 3 months of service) or B) This is a way to protect them from switching prior to two full months of service (mid cycle switches within 2nd month)

Thoughts??

------
EP will subsequently request that American Airlines award the AAdvantage® mileage credit. If your account status is not active and current on the date a billing cycle closes, no mileage credit will be reported to American Airlines for that billing cycle. For purposes on this program, active accounts are defined as those that are billing more than $0 and those for which EP has not received a request on behalf of the customer to discontinue (drop) their service. The dollar amount of energy charges for a billing cycle is the dollar amount of all purchases of electricity made by EP on your behalf and placed on your account during the billing cycle (excluding TDSP delivery charges, taxes and certain non-recurring fees and charges), reduced by any credits posted to the account during the billing cycle.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
holy crap. I just checked my energy plus rates vs. con ed green power. Energy Plus is TWICE as much. Screw that. AA should be ashamed for partnering with crooks like this.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 5:21 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mizzou miles
holy crap. I just checked my energy plus rates vs. con ed green power. Energy Plus is TWICE as much. Screw that. AA should be ashamed for partnering with crooks like this.
Sorry to hear you had this happen.

I run an infrastructure private equity fund and through my employment see the daily wholesale pricing. The wholesale power price moves around some every day, but no where as much as energy plus tried to tell me (and certainly not in only one direction as energy plus's does) - and certainly less so in the winter (which was when my use was with them). My experience with energy plus is detailed in my link in a post a few prior to this one.

Energy Plus is purely a marketing firm. They buy power on the spot market, and sell it to consumers for a higher price. I see nothing wrong with this.

They are capitalizing on, or at least trying to, the fact that many consumers will set it and forget it - perhaps lured by the miles and the advertised upfront savings. No different than why credit cards offer big upfront miles bonuses...because the issuers think, on average, they'll make far more from the account fees, merchant discounts and interest. But, somehow everyone knows the bank is out to make a profit, yet too few appreciate that energy plus is out to rape its customers
Old Jul 11, 2011, 7:48 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

A low price and a fixed term should be higher on one's shopping list than miles.

At times, Gexa's rates are very competitive and offer AA miles. My current 12-month plan is 8.1˘.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 5:49 pm

I am a CT resident. Signed up close to four months ago for 7,500 miles and 2 for 1 points. The account miles for monthly energy consumption just started posting, but I have still not received my 7,500 miles.

Anyone have an idea as to how long it will take the miles to post? I'd like to get them in my account so I can switch back to CL&P (CT Light and Power) before these guys start jacking up the rates.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by PtsFreak
I am a CT resident. Signed up close to four months ago for 7,500 miles and 2 for 1 points. The account miles for monthly energy consumption just started posting, but I have still not received my 7,500 miles.

Anyone have an idea as to how long it will take the miles to post? I'd like to get them in my account so I can switch back to CL&P (CT Light and Power) before these guys start jacking up the rates.
Offer FAQ states: "Bonus miles will be issued after completing 2 months of active service with Energy Plus".
So far I have not been gauged judging by the first bill. I will f/u here when the miles post.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
I did a similar Delta offer for Energy Direct. I cancelled after three months (did it in late fall when consumption was very low) and saw no change in rate during that time. That said, if you're on a variable rate plan, you better watch the rate like a hawk. Needless to say, I'm now on a 2-year plan at a great rate.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 9:22 pm

I just got my most recent electric bill. Energy Plus is charging me 16 cents per KWH while CT light and power is 9 cents per KWH.

WHAT A TOTAL SCAM. I have still not received my 7,500 miles for the promo, but as soon as I do I am dropping Energy Plus and going back to CL&P.

Shame on American Airlines for teaming up with these scam artists!

I just paid an extra $100 bucks on my energy bill for 7,500 miles (if they ever post).

Who or what department at AA should I contact to voice my displeasure with this partnership?

Last edited by JY1024; Jul 21, 2011 at 9:57 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Jul 21, 2011, 9:59 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PtsFreak
Who or what department at AA should I contact to voice my displeasure with this partnership?
Since this is a mileage partner, I'd suggest AAdvantage Customer Service.

You can call AA and then ask to be transferred over to AAdvantage Customer Service, or you can send them a note via their online web form: http://www.aa.com/contactAA/viewCont...=AAdvantage%ae
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:46 pm

I am so upset with AA for partnering with this company that I am seriously considering canceling my AA Citi card, using up my miles, and switching to another airline for my main frequent flyer program.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AA 1MM, Marriott GLD
I decided today I am switching back to my previous provider. The rate Energy Plus started me at was less than I was paying before, but my previous provider now has a much more competitive rate; meanwhile my Energy Plus rate has gone up after only a couple of months. What's more, their "distribution" charges are outrageous compared to other providers. I'm talking 20% of your total bill vs. 2% or so for others.

I'm disappointed in AAdvantage for partnering with them, too. I got my 7500 miles (plus whatever 2 miles per dollar spent comes to in all), but probably not worth it.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 7:57 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JY1024
Since this is a mileage partner, I'd suggest AAdvantage Customer Service.

You can call AA and then ask to be transferred over to AAdvantage Customer Service, or you can send them a note via their online web form: http://www.aa.com/contactAA/viewCont...=AAdvantage%ae
Good idea. These guys are bad folks.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 3:48 pm

Like everyone else, the second month bill was much higher than CL&P so I switched back. The switch was retroactive to 10 days previously so I only had Energy Plus for 6 weeks. Surprisingly the 7500 miles posted today despite having the service for less than 2 months.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 3:38 pm

Got this in the mail today, 10,000 AA miles.

It looks like Energy Plus are not getting good reviews, but if you are intent on getting the miles and then jump out once the miles hit (and you should), then visit the link below...

http://energyplusrewards.com/miles5627

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.