Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Same Day Standby Policy and Discussion
(Not to be confused with SDFC / Same Day Flight Change - see links below)

Standby has its own rules and peculiarities: (As of 14 Jan 2016)

Same-day standby

Standby for a fee (waived for AA Elites)

For $75 on domestic flights, you may standby on an earlier flight under the following conditions:
  • Standby is not allowed for international flights*.
  • Has the same origin and destination
  • Is for the same calendar day of departure
  • Is marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle
  • Changes to another multi-city airport or to different connecting cities are not allowed
  • You can standby for your originally purchased cabin (not upgraded cabin)
  • Standby means upgrades on the original flights are lost (you can not be on an upgrade list until your standby has cleared)
  • Standby pax may be required to gate check carry-on baggage
  • Standby is prioritized - see "PALL List" link below

*Standby between NYC-LON is offered for $150.

AAdvantage elite members may use the standby option for earlier or later flights.

Though it appeared those with checked bags were being denied SDS, JonNYC clarified that AA affirmed AA Elites are allowed to SDS if they have checked bags. Link.

Complimentary standby
Get complimentary same-day standby with:
  • Unrestricted Economy Class (Y fare), Business or First Class tickets
  • American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum, Platinum Pro or Gold status and companions in same record
  • oneworld® Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby status and companions in same record
  • AirPass membership
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver award tickets
  • AAnytime award tickets
  • Choice Plus fares

Complimentary same-day standby is also available for:
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders

Link

The following passengers may standby at no charge based on availability:
  • Customers who purchase unrestricted Economy Class fares (Y class of service)
  • Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders
  • American Airlines AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum or Gold members
  • oneworld® alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
  • Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold member or oneworld alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flyer status or fare type
  • AAirpass® members
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver® Awards
  • First, Business and Economy Class AAnytime® Awards
  • Customers who purchase a Choice Plus fare

Link

Q. What happens to my upgrade if I stand by for another flight?

Your upgrade and position will be lost. You can not be added to the upgrade list on your desired flight until you have cleared from standby. At that point, it may be too late to request your upgrade, given upgrade requests are normally processed prior to the standby list.

See "Airport Upgrade and Standby List" / Order, PALL List and issues (FT)

Previous posts have been archived and can be read here

Standby is not the same thing as SDFC / Same Day Confirmed Flight Change:

See "Domestic" Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / CFC / "Standby" or

International Same Day Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CDC
Print Wikipost

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
*Wrong thread*

Last edited by SpinOn2; Feb 18, 2017 at 3:07 pm Reason: wrong spot
Old Feb 18, 2017, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SpinOn2
A friend of mine shared this story with me and I was curious on opinions.

She works for AA and was utilizing the non-rev benefits, and was one of the last ones to board a the flt from CLT-LAX. She was cleared a seat on the aisle, and when she got to her seat, a passenger was sitting in her seat. Upon realizing this, she notified them it was her seat. The person looked up at her scoffed, made a comment about her travel badge and how if she is an employee and she gets whatever she gets, and refused to move. This was a full flight and so she just gave in and walked back eight rows and took the leftover middle seat I assume belonged to the poacher.

I personally told her I thought that was wrong, and employee non-reving or not, you were given an assigned seat and you should have had said seat. I told her she should had notified the FA, but she was afraid that because she wasn't a revenue pax the FA would not help.

I think that is wrong, I certainly don't think it's right for a non-rev to help themselves to someone else's seat just because, I also don't feel it's right for a revenue pax to just help themselves to a nonrevs seat just because.

Thoughts?

Can't quite see the relevance to this thread, per se. Maybe this thread?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Feb 18, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Can't quite see the relevance to this thread, per se. Maybe this thread?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Ah yes, wrong spot for that, my mistake. I saw standby and must have gotten too excited. Tried to find the thread about seat swap horror stories in a different area of the forums before that but for some reason had no luck searching for it.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
AFAIK non-revs are always supposed to give way to revenue passengers. Doesn't matter what the issue is. Meal choice, or choice of seat assignment, both should defer to revenue passenger. I know at most airlines the employee would actually be in trouble if they didn't defer to the paying customer.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Recent data point on standing by for a later flight: calling isn't necessary. I tweeted AA, and they were able to not only get my ticket set correctly, but actually added me to the list without having to be at the airport. Pretty painless.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by linglingfool
Recent data point on standing by for a later flight: calling isn't necessary. I tweeted AA, and they were able to not only get my ticket set correctly, but actually added me to the list without having to be at the airport. Pretty painless.
Twitter team is great! They can usually solve 99% of my issues. Forget calls and emails- TWEET TWEET!
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Confirmed Standby for EXP

Had a great experience last week flying MAF-DFW-SFO. Finished work a day early so I showed up for the 05:00 flt to DFW (was scheduled on the 16:24 later that day). Went straight to the gate and when the agent arrived, I requested to go standby. I had already received the upgrade for my scheduled flight that afternoon and he was not sure that he had seats available. He indicated that he recently learned that EXPs could get a confirmed seat on same day standby without paying the $75 fee. That said, he gave me confirmed seats on both legs and put me on the upgrade list. I shot to #1 on both flights and got the upgrade for both legs at the gate(s).
Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
Made a huge rookie mistake today. Was rushing to the gate to try and get on standby as boarding was finishing (plenty of seats still available). I just assumed first class would be full (LAX-ORD). I took the only aisle seat left in the back over a middle exit row towards the front.

As I boarded, I was one of the last people, I noticed 2 F seats still empty. I got back to my seat in the back and pulled up the seat map on expert flyer and sure enough those 2 F seats were showing as open.

Was there anything I could have done at that point to get moved up to F using stickers? We were so close to door closing that I didn't think getting off the plane to go talk to the gate agent would have been possible.
this just happened to me too. There were 2 F seats open but i only got to the gate at T-20ish and they were doing final call. My standby had cleared and the GA said it was too late to process, so i just boarded.

AA agents selectively enforce these standby rules. I've been able to do standby on intl itins, award flights, and 1stop to direct flights. This is why I always ask. If the agents were consistent, I wouldn't try to push my luck.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Rebob
Had a great experience last week flying MAF-DFW-SFO. Finished work a day early so I showed up for the 05:00 flt to DFW (was scheduled on the 16:24 later that day). Went straight to the gate and when the agent arrived, I requested to go standby. I had already received the upgrade for my scheduled flight that afternoon and he was not sure that he had seats available. He indicated that he recently learned that EXPs could get a confirmed seat on same day standby without paying the $75 fee. That said, he gave me confirmed seats on both legs and put me on the upgrade list. I shot to #1 on both flights and got the upgrade for both legs at the gate(s).
No-charge SDFC (different from SDSB, the subject of this thread) is a standard benefit for EXP when a seat is available on a same-day flight subject to the SDFC rules, but that's a different thread.

That agent must have "recently" been trained/re-trained on the correct policy, as it's been this way at least since I came over to AA from US during the merger. The only time an EXP should go on standby is when there is no available seat at the time of the request.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
No-charge SDFC (different from SDSB, the subject of this thread) is a standard benefit for EXP when a seat is available on a same-day flight subject to the SDFC rules, but that's a different thread.

That agent must have "recently" been trained/re-trained on the correct policy, as it's been this way at least since I came over to AA from US during the merger. The only time an EXP should go on standby is when there is no available seat at the time of the request.
I'm slightly confused. Recently I missed checkin time due to traffic. I was booked in discount F. Agent went to book me on next flight and said no discount Favailable only full F. Was going to place on SB. Agent then asked other ahent. Other agent pointed out EXP doesn't need same class, just a seat available. Handend BP for last seat in F on new flight. Was this correct?
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: AA Platinum
I travel every month LAX-IAH-LAX. Every time I call up the plat desk and ask for same day standby on the 12:30 am LAX-DFW and then the 7 am DFW-IAH, and they always pull through and I always make the flights, even clearing into F every time DFW-IAH. Every time I have had no issue. But isn't that against the rules? I thought you could not add a connection? I'm thinking that if they will allow me to add a connection I should be able to go standby LAX-MIA-IAH as the times work perfectly plus I'll get a leg on the 77W. Going to try this later this month. Anyone see any issues with them not allowing it?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT/1MM
I had a different experience a while back flying CLT-CAK.

Inbound flight arrived way early so dashed to gate to SDSB. Gate agent said she couldn't do it for me because I wasn't EXP (was PLT at the time), so sent me to customer service.

Customer Service agent hemmed and hawed for a bit and told me the same thing. I asked if something had changed in the last week as I'd done a SDSB just the week before. She 'relented' and handed me a new boarding pass. Apparently, they were all confusing SDSB with SDFC.

I chalked it up to being a learning curve issue for former US agents trying to understand AA policies.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by flyerCO
AFAIK non-revs are always supposed to give way to revenue passengers. Doesn't matter what the issue is. Meal choice, or choice of seat assignment, both should defer to revenue passenger. I know at most airlines the employee would actually be in trouble if they didn't defer to the paying customer.
I don't believe this applies to a seat poacher. The employee is expected to accept any available seat, but customers are not entitled to take seats assigned to employees (or to anyone else, really). The situation could have been avoided by the employee not wearing their badge, at which point the revenue passenger wouldn't have felt so entitled.

Last edited by ThreeJulietTango; Mar 1, 2017 at 6:19 pm
Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
I don't believe this applies to a seat poacher. The employee is expected to accept any available seat, but customers are not entitled to take seats assigned to employees (or to anyone else, really). The situation could have been avoided by the employee not wearing their badge, at which point the revenue passenger wouldn't have felt so entitled.
If a revenue passenger wants a certain seat, then the non-Rev is expected to move. Up to point ready to pushback a non-review should be happy to move. Once pushed back absent a broken seat they shouldn't need to move.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by flyerCO
If a revenue passenger wants a certain seat, then the non-Rev is expected to move. Up to point ready to pushback a non-review should be happy to move. Once pushed back absent a broken seat they shouldn't need to move.
At what point do we draw the line, though? If an economy passenger wants 1L which went to a nonrev, should the nonrev be expected to move?

Without prominently displaying employee ID, I don't see the harm in advising an FA that one's seat is occupied. I doubt they're observant enough to notice the lack of a ticket number, or that a non-exit seat is assigned Group 2 Group 6, which are really the only dead giveaways of a nonrev.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.