Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Expanded / additional MileSAAver award & upgrade availability for EXP (consolidated)

Old May 2, 2013, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
"Expanded Award Seating Availability (from Executive Platinum Guide)

As an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member, you have exclusive access to additional MileSAAver® award seating availability through AAdvantage Reservations for travel on American Airlines, American Eagle and AmericanConnection flights for you and one companion (must travel with you on the same itinerary - JD). While this is not a guarantee of available seating, it does provide more flexibility when you are traveling on a MileSAAver award."

NOTE: This expanded EXP availability is not guaranteed and may vary on different flights. It is not available during peak travel periods. In recent years this benefit appears diminished.

Please see archived older posts from this thread here.

Print Wikipost

Expanded / additional MileSAAver award & upgrade availability for EXP (consolidated)

Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
Does it really exist and how does one access it ?
As mentioned, you just have to call. I believe it will show up automatically for the agents, assuming your EXP FF number is in the reservation. So it's either there or it's not. And beyond that, you can always ask them to send a request to revenue management to release more space.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Does this expanded availability also include C on Transcontinental Routes? Thanks,
Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by FAA1996
Does this expanded availability also include C on Transcontinental Routes? Thanks,
Yes.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I have never been successful in getting an EXP agent to release inventory for me. Seems like one of those benefits that rarely comes through to me.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I have never been successful in getting an EXP agent to release inventory for me. Seems like one of those benefits that rarely comes through to me.
Again, this is two different matters; expanded inventory is just sitting there (to whatever extent it is) waiting for an EXP Agent to query it. All EXPs are "created equal" in this case.

"Getting inventory released" (via QMAX request) is an entirely different matter and depends on many things-- some of them member-specific.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 4:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
I believe agents now only need the member's AAdvantage number to look for expanded inventory.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Again, this is two different matters; expanded inventory is just sitting there (to whatever extent it is) waiting for an EXP Agent to query it. All EXPs are "created equal" in this case.

"Getting inventory released" (via QMAX request) is an entirely different matter and depends on many things-- some of them member-specific.
That's what I meant. I ask to check to see if there is expanded availability given my EXP status and they never see any. The latest flight I called in about today is less than a month away and is wide open in J (agent confirmed) so it seems like this would be a great case for there to be expanded inventory available to grab a J seat with SWU. Still nothing.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Agreed....we are talking about 2 different things:

1) if expanded EXP award/upgrade inventory exists in the system, all the EXP agent has to do is pull it and use it.

2) if NO expanded inventory exists, and the member is requesting that additional inventory be released, then the agent has to check the flight loads, the member's Eagle ranking, and other factors to see if the member qualifies for this treatment. In my experience, sometimes it happens on the spot; other times the agent has to queue it up for processing; other times it takes 24-48 hours. Or the agent might just say he or she cannot do a QMAX request for a particular itinerary.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Across several years, I've never seen/been able to obtain the expanded C inventory AA promotes. On a related topic, it's important to note that the airlines don't want pax who would otherwise purchase a revenue ticket instead be able to purchase a cheaper fare and then upgrade. As such, the airlines will purposely keep "C" at 0 until the last minute. Travelers that "must" (and are willing to pay the revenue fare) will then not have the option of obtaining something cheaper. So, we'll likely see a continued trend towards these "confirmed" upgrade instruments effectively becoming "standby" instruments.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Across several years, I've never seen/been able to obtain the expanded C inventory AA promotes..
I would take respectful exception of your use of "AA promotes" as it actually says this:

Please note that the Executive Platinum member guide only publicizes enhanced availability for MilesAAver free awards (Z, U, T). Enhanced availability for upgrade inventories is not an advertised benefit and should not be verbalized with the member.
So, really, it's FT that "promotes it"-- not AA

In fact, here is where it was revealed-- to the surprise of me and others:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...n-c-class.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/5122575-post33.html
Old Mar 25, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Across several years, I've never seen/been able to obtain the expanded C inventory AA promotes. On a related topic, it's important to note that the airlines don't want pax who would otherwise purchase a revenue ticket instead be able to purchase a cheaper fare and then upgrade. As such, the airlines will purposely keep "C" at 0 until the last minute. Travelers that "must" (and are willing to pay the revenue fare) will then not have the option of obtaining something cheaper. So, we'll likely see a continued trend towards these "confirmed" upgrade instruments effectively becoming "standby" instruments.
It's really route/demand specific. And not something AA is going to publish.
I booked MANY a ORD-LHR-ORD flight showing C0 or C1 on EF, been able to secure 2 J seats by calling and then seen EF remain at (or go to) C0. DFW-LHR-DFW - a bit harder - esp on the 77W. LAX-LHR-LAX - very hard to nail.

Just examples, with routes I've booked. But it is there.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
As other have mentioned, this is route specific. I've been successful only once, and that was a ORD-DUB-LHR-ORD trip this past Oct. We where already upgrade3d on the return, but waitlisted on the outbound. Everything was 0 across the board. I called at the 48hr window and was able to confirm the upgrade for my spouse and I. You certainly need to call to check.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:40 pm
Suspended

How many times do you all call though? After 2-3 attempts I just figure this is not something that's available despite other EXPs reports above.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
How many times do you all call though? After 2-3 attempts I just figure this is not something that's available despite other EXPs reports above.
I only call once - when I'm booking, either they open up or I'm put on the waitlist.

In the past, Ive gotten quite a few upgrades from this benefit, esp. on the daytime JFK-LHR flight.

However, in the past year or so, I haven't had any luck w/it - however, I'm still 100% on my int'l upgrades.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I usually called right at booking when I'm applying for the EVIP upgrade, and then after the 100 hr window. I dont think there is a "set" time to call, but I guess that as long as there are seats for sale, you can always check, however, once its full, your odds are minimal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.