Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Expanded / additional MileSAAver award & upgrade availability for EXP (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2013, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
"Expanded Award Seating Availability (from Executive Platinum Guide)

As an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member, you have exclusive access to additional MileSAAverŽ award seating availability through AAdvantage Reservations for travel on American Airlines, American Eagle and AmericanConnection flights for you and one companion (must travel with you on the same itinerary - JD). While this is not a guarantee of available seating, it does provide more flexibility when you are traveling on a MileSAAver award."

NOTE: This expanded EXP availability is not guaranteed and may vary on different flights. It is not available during peak travel periods. In recent years this benefit appears diminished.

Please see archived older posts from this thread here.

Print Wikipost

Expanded / additional MileSAAver award & upgrade availability for EXP (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
C/J has worked for me
Old Mar 12, 2013, 7:21 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
I guess I could book/ticket, then call, then cancel w/in 24h, but have been too lazy to try this!
Actually, this won't generally work with AA tickets. There is no 24 hour cancellation window on any tickets that can be held, and SWU-upgradeable tickets generally fall into this category.

Cheers.
Old May 2, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Just had one of those "I love being EXP" moments... agent says no sAAver awards are available, I ask her to look using expanded EXP availability, and like magic, I am on my way for $5 and 17,500 miles RT using my Citi card, sans the phone booking fee!
Old May 8, 2013, 3:10 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Does the system (ACORN?) automatically show the expanded inventory (agent does know my AAdvantage number), or does the agent need to "do something" (for example enter a different query or access a different part of the system)?

Today I called and the agent said ACORN automatically knows to look at "EXP expanded inventory"... but in many posts above (like #150 right there) posters imply that they only received the cleared space when they asked the agent to check or access this expanded inventory, that it wasn't showing before such instruction.

Of course, I'm not talking about sending a request to RM for clearing space, just to be more clear about what I'm asking - I understand that process.

Thx
Old May 8, 2013, 3:36 am
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Originally Posted by kingarthur
Just had one of those "I love being EXP" moments... agent says no sAAver awards are available, I ask her to look using expanded EXP availability, and like magic, I am on my way for $5 and 17,500 miles RT using my Citi card, sans the phone booking fee!
When you call EXP desk, they have your AAdvantage number. Doesn't the agent already look or does it have to be requested?
Old May 8, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by alhcfp
When you call EXP desk, they have your AAdvantage number. Doesn't the agent already look or does it have to be requested?
My experience from a few calls is that they know and look up accordingly.
Only problem is you have to tell them to check for alternate airports(JFK/LGA/EWR) or flights with stopovers....it would be great if AA can be like UA and show expanded availibility online.
Old May 8, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Acid
My experience from a few calls is that they know and look up accordingly.
Only problem is you have to tell them to check for alternate airports(JFK/LGA/EWR) or flights with stopovers....it would be great if AA can be like UA and show expanded availibility online.
They know when you call and it works. Interesting that I needed two seats. 1 available in reg inventory booked for my wife using a BusinessExtrAA award. On a separate reservation, she then booked mine out of the expanded inventory for EXP. Sequence matters. Agree that it would be nice if it came up online.

On a side note, I like the new map search, but a feature like "show me all transatlantics on AA or partners on a given day" would be nice for searching for 'any way to get there' during peak periods. Only way I'm aware of to do that search now is to call the EXP desk, and it is also labor-intensive for them.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:50 am

Expanded availability for others booked under EXP accounts?

Would it work for others as long as they are booked under EXP account?
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:57 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
Would it work for others as long as they are booked under EXP account?
The WikiPost at the top of each post of this thread states pretty clearly that they must be traveling with you and not just booked under your account.

Cheers.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by brp
The WikiPost at the top of each post of this thread states pretty clearly that they must be traveling with you and not just booked under your account.

Cheers.
I guess I was very fortunate then. EXP agent asked whether I was traveling with my family, I said so, so they opened the hidden inventory even though technically I wasn't in the PNR with them. I was on revenue ticket and I actually haven't even ticketed it yet.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Expanded Int. Upgrade (C) Availability for EXPs ?

Hello all,

I read somewhere that such and expanded availability existed for Top Tier members. Does it really exist and how does one access it ? My usual practice of checking C availability on EF has been producing no result in several searches, but EF would not show it, right ?

Advice will be appreciated.
Thanks
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
Hello all,

I read somewhere that such and expanded availability existed for Top Tier members. Does it really exist and how does one access it ? My usual practice of checking C availability on EF has been producing no result in several searches, but EF would not show it, right ?

Thanks
I've read here on FT that you can just ask for it. It might depend on other factors, too, besides status, but I haven't been able to access it. Every time I've asked, it's always been no, coinciding with what EF shows.

Actually, I will take that back. ONE TIME, they had C for LAX-NRT when EF reported 0.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
Hello all,

Thanks
You must call and you must be one of the travelers.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
I've read here on FT that you can just ask for it. It might depend on other factors, too, besides status
The expanded -C- availability does not depend on any other factors-- equally available to all EPs.

The *other* methods of possibly gaining extra availability can/do depend on there factors. But for the expanded -C-, no other factors.

Old, but maybe still relevant, instructions to AAgents looking for same:

To access this enhanced availability, you must follow these procedures prior to displaying availability:
1. Go to AAdvantageŽ Member Functions
2. Select Frequent Traveler PNR Inputs
3. Choose any option that adds name to PNR
4. Display city pair availability (CPA)
This is also old, but I think still current:
Enhanced Availability Sabre is updated with enhanced availability for Z, U, T, A, C, X and R inventories. This additional availability can only be viewed by the Executive Desk

Last edited by JonNYC; Mar 25, 2014 at 1:35 pm
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I believe there can also be expanded A inventory on 3 class flights. About a month ago I booked a trip to EZE via JFK in business. EF did not show any A upgrade inventory available on any of the segments. When I called the EXP desk to get on the wait list I was able to clear immediately LAX-JFK and JFK-LAX in A. After the call was over I looked again at EF and still no A upgrade inventory was available.

Being a fairly new EXP I was pleased as punch to be the recipient of expanded inventory .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.