Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning AA AAdvantage Miles /LPs on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 11, 2015, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Earning Elite Qualifying Miles and Dollars, and Award Miles Flying on Cathay Pacific Airways
including earning on upgraded flights, flights between YVR and JFK
link to page on aa.com.

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Cathay Pacific marketed and operated flights as well as Cathay Pacific codeshare flights operated by oneworld® carriers and affiliates:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket in an eligible booking code
  • Fly an eligible route

On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.KNOWN ISSUES
  • Economy fares other than Y, B or H on CX do not earn AAdvantage miles
  • B and H only earn fractional (75%) credit on AA
  • Upgrades purchased with CX miles may book into ineligible fare classes, causing challenges getting AA to credit the originally purchased fare class (see below)
  • there are a few fare classes that CX says do not earn AAdvantage miles, whereas aa.com says they will, as do members reporting their experiences here
  • JFK-YVR and YVR-JFK do accrue EQ and miles on eligible fares. JFK-YVR-HKG accrues as if nonstop JFK-HKG.
  • Premium Economy fare W on Cathay Pacific will earn an additional 10% class of service bonus with the exception of W fares between Hong Kong and Bangkok, which will not earn a class of service bonus, and Premium Economy R or E, which earn no class of service bonus.

AAdvantage Elite members members traveling on Cathay also enjoy:
Additional elite status bonus miles

If you fly CX as an AA codeshare / marketed flight, you will earn as if you were flying on AA.

Cathay Pacific marketed (“codeshare”) flights must be operated by a oneworld® or affiliate airline to earn AAdvantage miles. The ticketing or selling carrier or agent is immaterial to earnings.

It is always advised to try to assure your AA Frequent Flyer Number is on your boarding passes, and we always advise retaining your boarding passes (or take screen shots of e-boarding passes) until your instruments have all posted.

Upgrading to First on Cathay Pacific Airways and U, Z Fare Class Issues

Upgrading a paid Business fare to First on Cathay Pacific Airways puts the flight into fare class "Z", a class that is ineligible for AAdvantage miles accrual (as reflected on the accrual chart) because it is also an award classification for a First Class award.

Upgrading a paid Premium Economy fare to Business puts it into U class, another award fare class that earns no AA miles.

Members have recently reported success at having their upgrades acknowledged as accruing miles, but it may require persistence.

Originally Posted by BosTravel
I had the same issue. I upgraded from Biz to F using Asia Miles, but left my AA number in the reservation.

The outbound flight credited automatically without intervention.

The inbound flight did not credit and I submitted the Missing Mileage Request. That request got denied due to ineligible fare class. All I did was call the ExecPlat desk and ask for AAdvantage Customer Service, who had record of the denied claim. I explained I paid for Biz, upgraded to F, and provided them with my original ticket number (both ticker numbers were on CX stock). Call took about 5 minutes and miles (and EQM/EQP) posted to the account the next day.
and

Originally Posted by gohima
I just wanted to post the conclusion to my saga, that started with the brilliant idea to upgrade two CX flights in February (yes, 4 months ago).

Well, I Fedex'd a letter to the executive's office, which arrived Friday. Today, I received an email from an "executive liason" who said they agreed that "R" to "U" via an upgrade should be mileage earning and manually adjusted my account to receive credit. Account and status now reflects those flights.

So despite certain aagents and lower-level SUPs saying this is CX's problem and to go pound sand, AA actually can do something about it (albit at a higher level than a regular SUP, I assume). By the phrasing of the answer, I would say this isn't a one time exception but rather what is supposed to happen for these flights.

Godspeed to any other souls on this journey.
Possible snail mail or FedEx to:

Sean Bentel
Vice President -- Customer and Relations
4333 Amon Carter Blvd
Fort Worth, TX 76155
Thanks to nkedel.

Also see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-partners.html

Link to archive of older posts
Print Wikipost

Earning AA AAdvantage Miles /LPs on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2018, 4:02 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by A651346
Thank you for the reply. How do I ensure that i get my AAdvantage number on my itinerary when buying a CX ticket on Cathy Pacific's site?
Create an account on CX first and there is an option to change FFP.

Last edited by andersonCooper; May 12, 2018 at 9:36 am
Old May 12, 2018, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Or just ask an agent to change it at the airport when you check in for your first flight.
Old May 12, 2018, 7:53 am

Anybody had any issues with CX flights crediting to AA in the last week or so ?

I have 4 flights in my current itinerary, first two flown mid April and credited a couple of days after the flights. My 3rd flight was flown May 1 and to date isn't appearing within my AA account.

Is it just a case of me needing to be more patient!?!!!

Curious how the crediting works between AA and CX though - is it automated and normally quite quick or it is batched up?
Old May 12, 2018, 8:20 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Create an account on CX first and there is an option to change FFP.
I don't think you even need to create an account. When I booked a few weeks ago, I noticed that there was a drop-down menu to select from CX partners. I selected AA, put in my info, and my status is indicated on the itinerary they sent.
Old May 12, 2018, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by aztimm
I don't think you even need to create an account. When I booked a few weeks ago, I noticed that there was a drop-down menu to select from CX partners. I selected AA, put in my info, and my status is indicated on the itinerary they sent.
Correct, no need to create an account. Edit my post.
Old May 13, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by aztimm
Where on the itinerary is the "status"? I see the line for "frequent flight number". But I was expecting to see at least Emerald" status on the eticket near the FF#.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc

Where on the itinerary is the "status"? I see the line for "frequent flight number". But I was expecting to see at least Emerald" status on the eticket near the FF#.
Booking confirmation won't show status. It is the check in reminder and BP that will show OWE.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Booking confirmation won't show status. It is the check in reminder and BP that will show OWE.
Thanks... That'what I was thinking after looking over my booking itinerary several times to see if it was coded/abbreviated in plain sight. 18 days to go before I'mm have my boarding pass anyway....
Old May 18, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA XP, BA G, AS 100K, Hyatt G
I have taken many CX operated flights while crediting miles to AA without any issue, but I finally ran into the AA/CX earning miles issue that I have often read about on FT. On my last trip, I had a ticket purchased in R (premium economy) for CX872 HKG-SFO and upgraded to business using my AsiaMiles. At the Marco Polo desk in HKG and after the upgrading process was completed I told the agent that I would like the miles to be credited to AA. My boarding pass indeed had my AA number on it. 2 weeks after having flown the flight, nothing was posted on either AA or CX. I put in "a request missing flight miles" on AA.com and received a response from AA that partner miles would take up to 30 days to post. At this point I also called AsiaMiles to see what's up and was told that the ticket had my AsiaMiles account number on it, but the miles would not be posted to my AsiaMiles account because my name on the boarding pass included my middle names which contradicts with my personal information in AsiaMiles that has no middle name. But there was nothing AsiaMiles could do at this point. So 4 weeks later and still no miles posted on AA, I called AA customer service and was told that CX declined crediting to AA because my flight was seen as an award using miles. So I explained the whole situation to AA agent. She took all the notes and those will be sent to AA partner desk for further investigation. I asked if I should send in any supporting documents and was told I could but not sure if they were needed. She did send me an email asking for the ticket receipt and my boarding pass, so I replied accordingly. Now just waiting!

Last edited by vudoosj; May 18, 2018 at 8:17 pm Reason: edit
Old May 18, 2018, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by vudoosj
I have taken many CX operated flights while crediting miles to AA without any issue, but I finally ran into the AA/CX earning miles issue that I have often read about on FT. On my last trip, I had a ticket purchased in R (premium economy) for CX872 HKG-SFO and upgraded to business using my AsiaMiles. At the Marco Polo desk in HKG and after the upgrading process was completed I told the agent that I would like the miles to be credited to AA. My boarding pass indeed had my AA number on it. 2 weeks after having flown the flight, nothing was posted on either AA or CX. I put in "a request missing flight miles" on AA.com and received a response from AA that partner miles would take up to 30 days to post. At this point I also called AsiaMiles to see what's up and was told that the ticket had my AsiaMiles account number on it, but the miles would not be posted to my AsiaMiles account because my name on the boarding pass included my middle names which contradicts with my personal information in AsiaMiles that has no middle name. But there was nothing AsiaMiles could do at this point. So 4 weeks later and still no miles posted on AA, I called AA customer service and was told that CX declined crediting to AA because my flight was seen as an award using miles. So I explained the whole situation to AA agent. She took all the notes and those will be sent to AA partner desk for further investigation. I asked if I should send in any supporting documents and was told I could but not sure if they were needed. She did send me an email asking for the ticket receipt and my boarding pass, so I replied accordingly. Now just waiting!
This has been discussed extensively before and it does happen. Sorry you have to go through this but a lot of us had the same experience before. However, if you have the right AA agent, it could be solve in minutes after you send in the receipts (no need to include price paid, just fare code) and BP.
Old May 18, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA XP, BA G, AS 100K, Hyatt G
This has been discussed extensively before and it does happen. Sorry you have to go through this but a lot of us had the same experience before. However, if you have the right AA agent, it could be solve in minutes after you send in the receipts (no need to include price paid, just fare code) and BP.
My husband told me about this issue but I have not experienced it until now, even though I have flown CX quite a bit in the past few years and have had several complimentary upgrades from Y+ to business. But yes this was my first time upgrading to J with AsiaMiles. And the funny thing is it was not posted to AsiaMiles because my account does not indicate a middle name.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I'm looking to fly JFK-YVR-JFK on CX in Premium Economy. This flight will count towards my EXP status with EQM/EQD right? Fare is about $1,300 roundtrip - is that decent? Just don't want to book this and find out that this route is excluded or something like that.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I'm looking to fly JFK-YVR-JFK on CX in Premium Economy. This flight will count towards my EXP status with EQM/EQD right? Fare is about $1,300 roundtrip - is that decent? Just don't want to book this and find out that this route is excluded or something like that.
Could confirm yes it will count towards EQD/EQM, but this route is priced insanely due to very low load (good sign is you basically have the entire PEY to yourself and FA treats OWE great).

Also from YVR, you are not going to go through pre-clearance, and the landing time at JFK is usually before CBP opens so there might be some delay there as well.
AANYC1981 likes this.

Last edited by andersonCooper; Jun 7, 2018 at 1:53 pm Reason: Added more info.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
No credit for Cathay Pacific JFK-YVR?

I just looked at aa.com and they write
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ay-pacific.jsp
Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Cathay Pacific within Asia and between Asia and:
  • Africa
  • Canada
  • Europe
  • Middle East
  • South Pacific
  • U.S
That looks like flights between New York and Vancouver, which can be flown not in conjunction with a Hong Kong ticket, does not earn AAdvantage miles. Correct???
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I believe that is correct

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.