Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club membership discounts / discount - aren't they wonderful...

Admirals Club membership discounts / discount - aren't they wonderful...

Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:32 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm Gold and I got the offer too. It's tempting, especially as I was an Admirals Club member from 2003-2009 and I really like the Clubs, but I'm so rarely on AA, there's no Club in PHX and when I connect now, it's usually an hour maximum so I'm most likely going to have to pass.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 7:42 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by ttervooren
I picked up an Ameriprise World Elite MC this spring which comes with Priority Pass lounge access. If you add your spouse to your card, he/she also gets a Priority Pass card.
I compared the AC lounges with the Priority Pass ones on my trip last week to Managua through SFO, JFK, MIA. I felt the Alaska and Continental Lounges were as nice the AC ones (and the drinks were free no chits required). Of course, they were not as close to my gates, but the Ameriprise card which includes the Priority Pass was only $165 a year. And it's only $150now.
If you're thinking about a new AC membership, I'd also look at Priority Pass. Mine came with the "Prestige Level membership". So for the $165 we each got lounge access for the year. Quite a bit cheaper than AC membership which I think was $575 with the discount for a Platinum member w/spouse.

Here is the link for the Ameriprise World Elite MC:

http://banking-credit.ameriprise.com...mastercard.asp

and you can check out Priority Pass at Prioritypass.com.
I didn't see AA club access listed on the Priority Pass list. Did I miss it or is this not one available?
Thanks
Old Jun 23, 2010, 8:13 am

Location: Half time in PDX, Half time in Ajijic, Mexico. Near GDL
Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by pkerr
I didn't see AA club access listed on the Priority Pass list. Did I miss it or is this not one available?
Thanks
You are correct. AA does not participate in Priority Pass. I had access to ACs for my trip to MGA because of the OW status. If your lounge has to be AA, Priority Pass is not for you.
You may want to look at the Frugal Travel Guy post from today. I don't remember exact details, but he found a Credit Card with a higer annual fee that does provide 25,000 MR point and lounge access to AA, DL and CO, I think. Don't remember the details, but worth a look if you are shopping around for lounge access. http://frugaltravelguy.com/
Old Jun 23, 2010, 8:21 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
I saw that thanks.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 8:33 am

Programs: AA CK, Marriott LT Ti, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ttervooren
You are correct. AA does not participate in Priority Pass. I had access to ACs for my trip to MGA because of the OW status. If your lounge has to be AA, Priority Pass is not for you.
You may want to look at the Frugal Travel Guy post from today. I don't remember exact details, but he found a Credit Card with a higer annual fee that does provide 25,000 MR point and lounge access to AA, DL and CO, I think. Don't remember the details, but worth a look if you are shopping around for lounge access. http://frugaltravelguy.com/
I believe you are referring to American Express Platinum. It's a great card and only slightly more than an AC membership.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 1:14 pm

Programs: Grounded
Anyone knows if this discount will combine with the day pass? The t&cs suggest to me that they won't, but it depends on whether the day pass counts as a discount.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thumbs up

HA! So maybe I'm just cheap, but I have never been able to justify the cost of an AC membership. I have had PPass for years and found it much more reasonable for the amenities received.

Anyways, I came up with a plan 2 months ago to get AC on the cheap:

1. Joined Chase's 'Premier Travel.' The company that runs this is Trilegiant, which is a HORRIBLE company. I used a Citi Card virtual Visa number just to cover my bases.
2. Fee is $25/month for the 'Premier Travel' Club thing
3. DCA AAngel waived the $50 initiation fee, so cost was $300 for me to join the AC (today's discounts are the AOA, AOB, AOC codes floating around based on AA status which equates to the same thing)
4. Submitted my $300 receipt to Trilegiant, and 2 months later I received a check for $200 in the mail (the max reimbursement amount allowed under the lounge benefit).
5. Went on the Premier Travel for Chase website and there is a link after you sign in that allows you to cancel, and you receive your latest month's fee back.

So, to recap the cost:

$25 x 3 months for 'Premier Travel - $25 (one month credit) = $50
$300 AC membership - $200 reimbursement from Premier Travel = $150

Net cost to me: $150 for a year. Now, for that amount I find value in the AC
Old Jul 13, 2010, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT
this sounds pretty good -- anyone else deal with Chase Premier Travel?

Originally Posted by denCSA
HA! So maybe I'm just cheap, but I have never been able to justify the cost of an AC membership. I have had PPass for years and found it much more reasonable for the amenities received.

1. Joined Chase's 'Premier Travel.' The company that runs this is Trilegiant, which is a HORRIBLE company. I used a Citi Card virtual Visa number just to cover my bases.
3. DCA AAngel waived the $50 initiation fee, so cost was $300 for me to join the AC (today's discounts are the AOA, AOB, AOC codes floating around based on AA status which equates to the same thing)
4. Submitted my $300 receipt to Trilegiant, and 2 months later I received a check for $200 in the mail (the max reimbursement amount allowed under the lounge benefit).
5. Went on the Premier Travel for Chase website and there is a link after you sign in that allows you to cancel, and you receive your latest month's fee back.

So, to recap the cost:

Old Aug 6, 2010, 9:02 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by denCSA

So, to recap the cost:

That's a good plan... did you have any difficulty in getting your membership canceled? I checked out the links to the many Trilegiant complaints and I see why one would be a but wary.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 10:06 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, DL Plat, UAL Silv, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam, Avis First
I got a latter a couple of months ago for $50 off membership (AOB), which brings it down to $350 since I'm patinum. I forgot about it until the yesterday and found that it expired on 7/31.
I'm seriously considering the membership.

1) is there a point in calling to try to get the discount? or is this a hopeless case?

2) I assume that $350 is a good price? I mean are there usually better promos?

3) Assuming I could get the Amex Platinum. Is that at $450 a year a better deal given the access to other clubs (benefits other than lounge access don't matter much to me)?
Old Aug 8, 2010, 8:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 84fiero
That's a good plan... did you have any difficulty in getting your membership canceled? I checked out the links to the many Trilegiant complaints and I see why one would be a but wary.
Actually it was alot easier than I thought it would be. I was expecting to have to call, but you can simply cancel through a link on your account page after logging into their website. You receive a cancellation email shortly after.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 7:02 am

Admiral's Club discounted membership - does this happen somewhat regularly?

Hello Everyone,

AA was discounting Admiral's Club membership by $100 during July, but I couldn't swing it then.

I am hoping they will run this discount at least once more this year. Is this something that they offer on a reasonably regular basis, or did I miss a fairly rare opportunity?

Many thanks!
Tim
Old Aug 17, 2010, 7:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by BritishMusicFan
Is this something that they offer on a reasonably regular basis, or did I miss a fairly rare opportunity?
Not so rare. [unnecessary for merged thread]

Last edited by magic111; Aug 17, 2010 at 8:20 am Reason: [unnecessary for merged thread]
Old Aug 17, 2010, 7:08 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Sometimes there are systemwide discounts ($25-$100 off, usually in the $25-$50 range), and other times there are club-specific discounts (e.g. $50 off if you purchase/renew in XYZ club).

[unnecessary for merged thread]

(In my opinion, $100 discount is pretty darn good!)

Last edited by magic111; Aug 17, 2010 at 8:21 am Reason: [unnecessary for merged thread]
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:38 am

Use the discount code NYE for 20% off.

This is from some kind of promotion for AA in New York. Unfortunately, I cannot remember nor find where the page is, but the discount code works out to be $280 for a first time EXP.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.