Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club Benefits - Worth it? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Admirals Club Benefits - Worth it? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:28 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
I personally pay for mine and definitely feel like I get value. Yeah the wine is crappy and free beer is horrific. Even when crowded (which I don't often find it to be but I travel late morning or early afternoon) the wifi, power outlets and decent snack options make traveling less stressful.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
I've paid for my own and the membership has value for me. Honestly, access to AAngels is worth the fee alone to me and is invaluable when things get really IRROPS sideways during travel.

I primarily use PHL's lounges before a flight for a quiet place to work (i.e. emails, calls prior to a business hours departure) and for a place to cool my heels when I return (clean bathroom, quick snack, hold off until traffic dissipates before leaving for home).

I agree that the lounges that are under renovation are substandard for now, and that most connections are too short to really use a lounge with the current banked schedules in hubs.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:46 am

I "pay" for mine with the Citi Advantage Executive card, AC membership is included in the fee. Spend enough each year and you can get Citi to credit you the fee. I probably wouldn't pay for it outright each year, but wow is it nice during irrops and getting help from the staff. I'm not really a beer snob at all, so a nice cold draft and a couple snack type foods and I'm good. Most I've been to have been fairly chill and quiet (for the most part, irrops can cause a crowd).

Card comes with Global Entry credit and some other nice perks.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:50 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by taseas
Spend enough each year and you can get Citi to credit you the fee.
REALLY? How much is "enough"?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Caveat: "Raised in San Francisco, taught to love God ... AND hate Los Angeles"-Herb Caen

I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

LAX specific-LAX is a zoo, on a good day, from leaving the house to boarding. Line Nazi's , overzealous TSA disappointed you are just cattle, instead of famous, and (ex AC AAngels) GA's that are ONLY concerned about getting the flight out AND nothing else. If one can get over temporary construction time frame over runs, in a quieter than an airport Chili's environment, ...

The rest of the universe-IMHO, AC's are that oasis that give us AAngels that still get us out of town when we have a CXL, WX, etc., , shield us from bimbo's that sit in one seat and put their bags in the seats on other side, screaming, misbehaving children that should be on Benadryl instead of sugar, fighting over plugs to charge dying equipment, (insert bad behavior here), ad nauseum, ...

It's all relative. YMMV re: $450 (or less) My AC cost is worth it.
I assume that you haven't been to the zoo called the O'Hare AC (H/K). Granted its under construction but its definitely not an oasis.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Full disclosure: I am not an AC member. I get free day passes with my Business Extra account. If I don't have a day pass, I just find some comfy place near the departure gate to wait and immerse myself in Killer Sudoku.

I have been in the LAX AC a few times since they started construction that was supposed to be finished in "Spring 2017". We are almost to July 2017, past Midsummer, and it's still not done. I've read here in FT that they don't expect the LAX lounge to be finished until October 2017. I've also read, here on FT, that the JFK lounge is sub-optimal.

I look around me and see a crowded and noisy room. I can't say this is the "oasis of calm" they advertise. I wonder, to myself, "Who in their right mind would pay $400 (+/-) a year for this? Is this really that much better than just waiting at the departure gate or sitting in an airport restaurant?"

So, please enlighten me. Is it worth your annual membership dollars? Has anyone taken it up with the airline and, perhaps, received a discount or rebate for their annual membership fee? If your annual membership is paid by OPM, would you pay for it out of your own pocket, if your employment situation changed?
AC membership entitles you to more than just the LAX lounge, once.

If you're comfortable playing Sodoku in a corner hundreds of times a year as you wait for various flights, or if you don't fly as often as some, then perhaps it's not for you. Believe it or not, other folks travel to different places, more often, and may have different needs.

No, I wouldn't pay out of my own pocket, but I understand those who do.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by neo_781
I assume that you haven't been to the zoo called the O'Hare AC (H/K). Granted its under construction but its definitely not an oasis.
I just flew back from Shanghai through ORD on Saturday and arrived around 5pm to the H/K lounge. It wasn't overly crowded (it was a Saturday) but I was able to get a shower without a wait (In DFW I routinely have to wait 45 minutes to an hour for a shower to be available). I was expecting a zoo but it wasn't anywhere near that. I'm sure business heavy times it can be much more crazy.

For me I wouldn't pay for the club out of my own cash but my company refunds it to those of us who travel more than 20 round trips per year. I'm glad I have it but it's sometimes very hard to find an outlet or an outlet that isn't so worn out your plug won't stay plugged in and some have better food than others but really I just like it for a little quieter place to sit and somewhat more comfortable place to wait for the plane.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
The day passes are not free, it cost 300 points which you could use it for upgrades or award flights. Besides is June 27 and Summer started just a week ago.

My advice, use those points for upgrades on longer (domestic) flights and save your upgrades certificates for short flights.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
REALLY? How much is "enough"?
+1 to this, that's the first I've heard of Citi crediting the fee based on spend and would be curious to know what the spend requirement is. I currently have Presiege card and will be losing AC access soon and am considering the exec card
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by ryan182
+1 to this, that's the first I've heard of Citi crediting the fee based on spend and would be curious to know what the spend requirement is. I currently have Presiege card and will be losing AC access soon and am considering the exec card

For me, I think it was $5k/month for 3 months for a $450 statement credit.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dave_261
For me, I think it was $5k/month for 3 months for a $450 statement credit.
Was this a retention effort or did you just ask to have the fee waived when you signed up?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I had A/C membership for many years in the past via AAirpass and various credit cards. There are definitely some perks to having membership when things go south operationally but the overcrowding I encountered a couple years back, combined with the other general AA nonsense, caused me to drop AAirpass, my AA cc's and, thus, the A/C.

Don't really miss it.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Just for reference, has been hashed-over before (unsurprisingly) - here was one thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Now that MIA is using 3 clubs they are much less crowded for me. The complimentary food and beverage selection is much improved over the years. Plus the ability to take showers on long trips (at those ACs with showers.) What I save alone on food (considering airport prices) nearly pays my annual membership.

The ability to help with travel rebooking tends to be spotty. For some strange reason over the past several years I've had maybe one long delay/misconnect.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by ryan182
Was this a retention effort or did you just ask to have the fee waived when you signed up?
Retention effort, spend 5K per month for 3 months and get the $450 fee credited back to account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.