Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW / Dallas-Ft. Worth Layover Questions (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Dallas - Ft. Worth International Airport Layover Information and Discussion

Q. What is the easiest / fastest way to get around the terminals or to my departure terminal?
The SkyLink airside elevated train is reached by escalators or lifts/elevators, travels in both clockwise and anti-clockwise directions with two minutes' headway. The average SkyLink ride is 5 minutes, the longest 9 minutes. You shouldn't require more than 10-15 minutes gate to gate.
SkyLink access locations (upstairs by escalator or elevator / lift)
  • Terminal A: Between A13 and A16 and between A29 and A34
  • Terminal B: Between B9 and B12 and between B28 and B31
  • Terminal C: Between C8 and C12 and between C27 and C32
  • Terminal D (International): Between D11 and D20 and between D24 and D34
  • Terminal E (US Airways): Between E8 and E11 and between E31 and E32

For other information, use provided links:
AA Guide: DFW / Dallas - Fort Worth Int. Airport & MCT / Connection (master thread) ...
AA DFW airport information page
American Airlines C. R. Smith (AA aviation) Museum

Animal Relief Areas: Terminals A, B, C - Lower level grassy areas.
Terminal D - Lower level, outside the D30/D31 Baggage Claim area. Cross the roadway to the parking garage.

Updated 30 Apr 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

DFW / Dallas-Ft. Worth Layover Questions (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2014, 8:28 am
Original Poster

5 hour layover dfw

I have a 5 hour layover in DFW from HNL. I'm considerding purchashing a one day admirals club pass since its so long. But before I do, I'm flying first, do I have access to any kind of first class lounges? Wouldn't want to pay for something I'm already getting.

Thanks!

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 10, 2015 at 9:31 am Reason: Restore original post title
Old Sep 6, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, EY Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*, Global Entry
No access is granted, but if you have an AMEX Platinum or Centurion card, you can get free access to the AMEX lounge in Terminal D. If you don't have either of those but do have any other AMEX card, you can pay $50 to get in.

With 5 hours, the AMEX lounge is probably a better choice with free buffet and free bar (top-shelf included). Plus you can get a shower and a free massage in that time.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Some of the AAdmiral's clubs at DFW have excellent shower facilities. a search on 'dfw', shower in the AA sub-forum will find discussion on club amenities by location.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 11:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Since this applies specifically to AA, I'll move this thread over to the pre-merger AA forum (from the AA Consolidated forum).

aztimm
Old Sep 6, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I'd strongly recommend the Centurion lounge over the Admirals Clubs. It does have showers, the cost for a day pass is the same, and the food and other amenities are light years beyond what the Admirals Clubs offer.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Yes, and for such a long layover, the $50 is well worth it.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by islandguy808
I have a 5 hour layover in DFW from HNL. I'm considerding purchashing a one day admirals club pass since its so long. But before I do, I'm flying first, do I have access to any kind of first class lounges? Wouldn't want to pay for something I'm already getting.

Thanks!
It depends on where your destination is. If you are connecting to what AA defines as an international flight (Europe, Asia, Central & South America, Mexico City) then you'd have free Admiral's Club access. If not, then you won't.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zski1
It depends on where your destination is. If you are connecting to what AA defines as an international flight (Europe, Asia, Central & South America, Mexico City) then you'd have free Admiral's Club access. If not, then you won't.
My destination is LGA, so thats the answer I was looking for. Thank you! I never had such a long layover before. It was originally just 2 hours, but AA change it. I guess I should wait until it gets closer incase it changes again huh?
Old Sep 6, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Just to play devils advocate if you got the airport early enough you could use your AC daypass in HNL as well. As the others have said though the better value is the Cent lounge. The only downside there is that the showers aren't as good as the A AC ones.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by islandguy808
My destination is LGA, so thats the answer I was looking for. Thank you! I never had such a long layover before. It was originally just 2 hours, but AA change it. I guess I should wait until it gets closer incase it changes again huh?
Do you have an itinerary on that day that you would prefer to take? If so, then call AA and ask to be placed on those flights. AA is quite accommodating w/a schedule change of this length.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Maybe if they were extraordinarily accommodating they could put you on HNL-LAX-JFK. LAX-JFK in first would be nice. Probably not likely but you could always call and ask. Worst thing that could happen would be that they say no.

-z
Old Sep 6, 2014, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Maybe if they were extraordinarily accommodating they could put you on HNL-LAX-JFK. LAX-JFK in first would be nice. Probably not likely but you could always call and ask. Worst thing that could happen would be that they say no.

-z
I wouldn't swap F HNL-LAX on the 757 for F HNL-DFW on the 763, even considering the LAX-JFK option - which would almost certainly be in J, not F.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Maybe if they were extraordinarily accommodating they could put you on HNL-LAX-JFK. LAX-JFK in first would be nice. Probably not likely but you could always call and ask. Worst thing that could happen would be that they say no.-z
I'd not do that, as that means you'll trade the overnight flight from HNL from a 763 with NGBC angled-flat seats to a 757 with standard recliners - a serious downgrade. You can actually get some nice sleep in on HNL-DFW, much much more and better than on HNL-LAX. The nicer seat on the three-class A321 to JFK would not be worth two hours of nighttime sleep to me.
I'd call AA and ask about being put on an earlier flight to LGA - there's plenty of options (1104 departing a 6:55, 1110 at 8:25, 1114 at 9:45).
Getting a day pass for the AC isn't a bad idea, though: AA makes you arrive at the airport in HNL earlier than on standard domestic flights, and passing the wait time in the small but comfy lounge (no AC, AA uses the JAL lounge) there is definitely better than spending it in the terminal.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I second the advice to call AA and ask to be placed on an earlier flight to LGA. If that's refused, however, all is not lost. The OP said they were flying in F; if that's the case, then they should be permitted to standby for an earlier flight to LGA.

If I were the OP, I'd get off the flight from HNL and find the next departing LGA flight. No reason to sit around DFW for five hours.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bdemaria
I wouldn't swap F HNL-LAX on the 757 for F HNL-DFW on the 763, even considering the LAX-JFK option - which would almost certainly be in J, not F.
Yup, I prefer the hnl-dfw route. I like how the seats in F are 2/2/2 on the 763.(no one climbing over me while I'm sleeping!) I may be weird, but I don't mind the layovers so much. I'll be on vacation so I'm not in a rush to get someplace.
I'll see if AA can move me back to an earlier flt though. Would save me fifty bucks.

Thanks again guys!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.