FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (pre-2017) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/634552-just-made-exp-executive-platinum-resources-ask-questions-brag-pre-2017-a.html)

bluchsinge Jun 5, 2014 5:07 am

SWU vs Upgrade with miles and $$$

If 2 EXP travelers are on a wait list and have requested upgrades..

1 is using SWU, the other is using miles and $$

Are the requests weighted equally (then the date requested would factor in)?

I can't find anything that "officially" answers the question.

TIA

Bob

ILuvParis Jun 6, 2014 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by bluchsinge (Post 22981818)
If 2 EXP travelers are on a wait list and have requested upgrades..

1 is using SWU, the other is using miles and $$

Are the requests weighted equally (then the date requested would factor in)?

I can't find anything that "officially" answers the question.

TIA

Bob

Follow the money. ;)

lutzboy Jun 11, 2014 5:45 pm

SWU's

Originally Posted by nugrand (Post 22980917)
lutzboy, GullwingSL,
I too will end the year with some SWU left, as I have been purchasing J and F this year. Given that, any chance they will extend the expiration date?
If not how do you plan on using the 17/25?
Thanks!

I typically use only 5 to 6 each year. Just like you I also primarily do J's on a one world partner overseas (non AA metal so the SWU's are useless). This year we are planning some family trips that Im hoping I can use mine. Lets see.

Viajero Millero Jun 20, 2014 10:30 pm

Could not find this with a search but once I hit 100k and have no incentive to keep using my AAdvantage for my oneworld flights, can I enjoy the benefits of being Emerald (by showing my emerald card) while having the FFP from a different OW airline on my boarding pass?

mikelat Jun 21, 2014 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Bachovas (Post 23070632)
Could not find this with a search but once I hit 100k and have no incentive to keep using my AAdvantage for my oneworld flights, can I enjoy the benefits of being Emerald (by showing my emerald card) while having the FFP from a different OW airline on my boarding pass?

If you want benefits of Priority Access, comp upgrades, MCE seats, etc, then you have to credit the flight to your AA number. You could however use your SWU while crediting the flight to a diff FFP. I've considering booking a SEA-DFW-HKG r/t upgrading with SWUs next year in order to help get to MVPG on Alaska.

fatsnail Aug 9, 2014 2:50 pm

Requalified for EXP after a round trip to LA. Thanks for the help from FTers!
Now the question is, will AA launch elite rewards this year?

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Aug 9, 2014 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by fatsnail (Post 23337041)
Requalified for EXP after a round trip to LA. Thanks for the help from FTers!
Now the question is, will AA launch elite rewards this year?

Probably not.

SonP Aug 13, 2014 5:30 pm

Been wanting to post on this thread for a LONG time! Finally made EXP from an AS flight from PVR to SFO. Flight was on Friday, miles just posted today. It felt like forever. Now I need to wait for the darn luggage tags! :) Here's how I made it: 100,059 EQP; 70,441 EQM and 28 Segs.

Quick question for the EXP veterans: regarding SWUs, will I receive 8 now (for 2014/15) and then an additional 8 in 2015?

Cheers,
Son

tom911 Aug 13, 2014 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by SonP (Post 23359691)
Quick question for the EXP veterans: regarding SWUs, will I receive 8 now (for 2014/15) and then an additional 8 in 2015?

The 8 you receive now will be valid through February, 2016. When you requalify next year you'll get 8 more valid through February, 2017.

SonP Aug 13, 2014 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 23359770)
The 8 you receive now will be valid through February, 2016. When you requalify next year you'll get 8 more valid through February, 2017.

Thanks for the clarification. One other question - I have trip to ORD with the family in a few weeks. I'm on a separate RL than my wife and kid. Should I get an upgrade and then pass it on to my wife, can I still claim my complementary snack and drink in coach?

tom911 Aug 13, 2014 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by SonP (Post 23360812)
I'm on a separate RL than my wife and kid. Should I get an upgrade and then pass it on to my wife, can I still claim my complementary snack and drink in coach?

You won't be on the manifest in coach. You'd be presenting your EXP card or boarding pass in a different name than the person assigned to that seat. Don't think I'd mess with AA employees in this situation. You'd in effect be double dipping (getting an upgrade and the perks that go with that while also claiming EXP perks in coach).

JonNYC Aug 13, 2014 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by SonP (Post 23360812)
Thanks for the clarification. One other question - I have trip to ORD with the family in a few weeks. I'm on a separate RL than my wife and kid. Should I get an upgrade and then pass it on to my wife, can I still claim my complementary snack and drink in coach?

Would be a little tacky.

SonP Aug 14, 2014 12:31 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 23360987)
Would be a little tacky.

Both yours and Tom's points are well taken. If the situation arises I shall not request the complementary snacks. Thanks.

DevilDawg1960 Aug 18, 2014 11:31 am

Just reached EXP for the first time with flights home from Brazil on Friday. EXP status showed up in my account Saturday afternoon, and SWUs posted this morning. 101,819 points, 73,000 miles, and 36 segments.

Now I am trying to figure out how to get Mrs DevilDawg to meet me in Europe for a much needed vacation. Our goal is to have her meet me in Munich on September 17th and then fly home with me from Milan on October 7th. Called the EXP desk to see what options are. Looked at booking her RDU-DFW-FRA to use SWU but no C availability so would have to waitlist. Also looked at reward options in to FRA or MUC. No business awards to MUC so holding a 50,000 mile Business Saver Award for RDU-PHL-FRA on USAir; she would then take train from FRA to Munich. I am already booked in paid J MXP-JFK-RDU on 10/7. To get her on those flights is 135,000 Anytime Business Award. No C availability for SWU and no Business Saver availability. Seems steep but I cannot think of any other options.

If anyone has any ideas on a better/more economical way to get Mrs DevilDawg to join me I would appreciate it.

0335th Sep 3, 2014 2:26 am

Just made EXP for the very first time!