FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (pre-2017) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/634552-just-made-exp-executive-platinum-resources-ask-questions-brag-pre-2017-a.html)

Pinned Jan 22, 2014 6:58 pm

Account finally updated to EXP after qualifying on the 31st. Excited!

Antarius Jan 23, 2014 8:34 am

Originally Posted by nkedel (Post 22123365)
There used to be an advantage to checking in right a T-23:59. They fixed that; as far as I know, when you check in no longer has any effect on your odds of an upgrade, at least up to the point where they start wondering if you're going to be a no-show at about T-(45min)

On domestic flights, if your departure is within T-24 of the return, you can check in for both at once.

Correct. Both sticker and SWU upgrades are based on time of request (elite status/full fare also)

joejoe666 Jan 24, 2014 8:30 am

Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (master thread)

When will updated cards/luggage tags arrive?

callmedtop Jan 24, 2014 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 22207540)
Correct. Both sticker and SWU upgrades are based on time of request (elite status/full fare also)

Is this true even on held reservations for 24 hours? Or do you only get on the list once its ticketed?

Explore Jan 24, 2014 8:58 am

EXP Desk Assistance with IRROPS on Mileage Runs?

Unfortunately I have a 35-minute connection at BOS this weekend. The complete itin is SFO-JFK-BOS-DFW-SFO and then on to another AA ticket. Will the EXP desk facilitate an early turnback at JFK if things look bad, with ORC credit provided? Or will I need to continue to BOS and sort things out there, with a probable impact on my subsequent ticket? How about protection on other carriers?

I'll need either ORC or the ability to reschedule the second trip without fee.

Thanks!

Pinned Jan 24, 2014 8:29 pm

Calling and immediately getting through to someone at the EXP desk is awesome. Just used my first SWU and everything went through immediately, sweet.

bdemaria Jan 24, 2014 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Explore (Post 22214089)
Unfortunately I have a 35-minute connection at BOS this weekend. The complete itin is SFO-JFK-BOS-DFW-SFO and then on to another AA ticket. Will the EXP desk facilitate an early turnback at JFK if things look bad, with ORC credit provided? Or will I need to continue to BOS and sort things out there, with a probable impact on my subsequent ticket? How about protection on other carriers?

I'll need either ORC or the ability to reschedule the second trip without fee.

Thanks!

If you work on it at JFK, you can ask the $$ back for the BOS-XXX portion of the flight based on "trip in vain" policy.

Explore Jan 25, 2014 5:32 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria (Post 22217689)
If you work on it at JFK, you can ask the $$ back for the BOS-XXX portion of the flight based on "trip in vain" policy.

Thanks for that link and policy information. Definitely something to keep in mind for future trips...

But I'm not ready to bail here at JFK....might make it to BOS on time as the flight's looking good so far....

Under what circumstances will AA route you on another airline, in this case UA, to avoid a significant delay or catch up on your itinerary?

bdemaria Jan 25, 2014 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Explore (Post 22218972)

Under what circumstances will AA route you on another airline, in this case UA, to avoid a significant delay or catch up on your itinerary?

In all my years traveling AA, I think I've been placed on another carrier twice. It would depend on the reason for the delay - and weather isn't going to be one of them.

ahcjar103 Jan 25, 2014 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Explore (Post 22218972)
Thanks for that link and policy information. Definitely something to keep in mind for future trips...

But I'm not ready to bail here at JFK....might make it to BOS on time as the flight's looking good so far....

i'm at BOS now. weather is perfectly fine (overcast, dry) so you have that working in your favor. good luck.

Explore Jan 25, 2014 7:23 am

Originally Posted by ahcjar103 (Post 22219162)
i'm at BOS now. weather is perfectly fine (overcast, dry) so you have that working in your favor. good luck.

Cinch of a connection. Sorry to hear about AA's policy on rerouting via other carriers, though.....sounds a bit more restrictive than the old UA.

haa Jan 25, 2014 10:42 am

Originally Posted by CityFlyerNYC (Post 22103550)
Requalified again for EXP in early December. Still no email or anything from AA with congratulations. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

I qualified for EXP (first time) early Dec as well.
  • Status showed at AA.com within a few days,
  • SWUs appeared soon as well, but
  • no "congratulations" email or anything,
  • eSummary email just showed the status next time.
  • Bookings/online check-in on other OW airlines didn't see the new OW Emerald status until a few weeks later.

I asked the customer service online late January if the EXP card was lost in mail or when it would arrive (sometimes lounges etc. ask to see the card), and got the following response:

AAdvantage Customer Service:
We apologize that you have not yet received your AAdvantage Executive
PlatinumŽ card, valid through February 2015. We are currently
experiencing a mailing delay, but we expect that you will receive your
card within approximately a month. To demonstrate your elite status
before then, you might be interested in downloading our AA.com Mobile
app (www.aa.com/app). With it, you may display your elite status
immediately on your smartphone.
I have the iOS AA app, which does show a "virtual card" but it has the "Executive Platinum" in extremely small text, and a very small OW Emerald color blob, not very clear for someone to see.

AA seems to be having some issues and delays, hopefully soon sorted out.

PS. Once I was rerouted on JetBlue by AA at JFK when I missed a connection due to delayed incoming flight. I arrived at the destination just a few hours later, instead of the next morning, so it was OK. Needed to ask via email for "original routing credit" to get the points for that leg, though.

ILuvParis Jan 25, 2014 11:47 am

I know it's exciting to qualify or re-qualify, but what do you do with your cards? I've never carried mine except when I might be using a foreign airline lounge. I think I've shown it once in 10 years or so.

nkedel Jan 25, 2014 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis (Post 22220502)
I know it's exciting to qualify or re-qualify, but what do you do with your cards? I've never carried mine except when I might be using a foreign airline lounge. I think I've shown it once in 10 years or so.

I keep it in my wallet, although the only time I used to use it -- beyond the foreign airline lounge -- was to log into the check-in kiosks... since they have had mobile check-in even that's gone. :)

I keep the old one in a box, although a few have been sacrificed to spread heat-sink compound.

joejoe666 Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis (Post 22220502)

more interested in luggage tags