FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (pre-2017) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/634552-just-made-exp-executive-platinum-resources-ask-questions-brag-pre-2017-a.html)

PhoneGuy Oct 10, 2016 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by PDXAA (Post 27328361)
Congrats PhoneGuy! You gonna make it to EXP next year with the new EQD rule?

Yeah; I'll be fine as far as EQD's are concerned -- I'm averaging anywhere between $4-6K/month in travel on my slow months and $6-10K/month on my busy months.

fotographer Oct 11, 2016 5:57 am

well , made it to 200k yesterday, another 2 more SWU that to me seem harder to clear than last year. (and not happpy about next year where AA will base upgrades on price paid)

teemuflyer Oct 12, 2016 11:40 am

Originally Posted by fotographer (Post 27331335)
well , made it to 200k yesterday, another 2 more SWU that to me seem harder to clear than last year. (and not happpy about next year where AA will base upgrades on price paid)

Not exactly. But it comes into play since it is part of the your rolling 12 months spend which is what they will use as the tie breaker/priority criteria.

anaggie Oct 17, 2016 7:14 am

103k EQM's / 24 segments

2 Flights to Brazil in J
1 RTW in J
1 domestic F
1 J to Mexico
10k from CC spend
Approx $20-25k in spend

Still have 5 SWU from last year and don't know when I will burn them since I am done flying for the year.

teemuflyer Oct 17, 2016 9:41 am

Originally Posted by anaggie (Post 27356459)
103k EQM's / 24 segments

2 Flights to Brazil in J
1 RTW in J
1 domestic F
1 J to Mexico
Approx $20-25k in spend

Still have 5 SWU from last year and don't know when I will burn them since I am done flying for the year.

Feel free to gift them.. I'm not done flying for the year ;)

swimdude92 Oct 17, 2016 1:23 pm

need to refresh upgrade requests?

just made ExPlat this morning!!

qq for everyone - do I need to call the service desk to refresh my status in my 11 upcoming trips, or will the system automatically update my status to increase my chances of being upgraded?

akcae Oct 17, 2016 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by swimdude92 (Post 27358065)
just made ExPlat this morning!!

qq for everyone - do I need to call the service desk to refresh my status in my 11 upcoming trips, or will the system automatically update my status to increase my chances of being upgraded?

Call.

muishkin Oct 17, 2016 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by redball24 (Post 27285259)
It would appear apeortdz is the only one here with a sense of humor.

Yeah humour is banned in the AA forum. If you want more laughter you should check out the BA forum.

K's Logic Oct 18, 2016 5:18 pm

Made EXP yesterday through corporate challenge (yay?) - a couple of questions:

1. FL access for flights to Mexico City - I noticed AA specifically excludes Mexico City from the NA/Mexico/Caribbean restrictions on lounge access. Is anyone able to confirm then that I would have access to the FL at LAX?

2. While Platinum, I used 500-upgrades on myself and a companion for an upcoming flight. Now that I'm EXP, do I need to do anything to ensure that the 500-upgrades will only be used on my companion and that my new status will be reflected in terms of priority order of upgrades?

Thanks

PDXAA Oct 19, 2016 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by K's Logic (Post 27363824)

1. FL access for flights to Mexico City - I noticed AA specifically excludes Mexico City from the NA/Mexico/Caribbean restrictions on lounge access. Is anyone able to confirm then that I would have access to the FL at LAX?

2. While Platinum, I used 500-upgrades on myself and a companion for an upcoming flight. Now that I'm EXP, do I need to do anything to ensure that the 500-upgrades will only be used on my companion and that my new status will be reflected in terms of priority order of upgrades?

Thanks

Can't speak to the FL access but I do advise that you call the EXP customer service desk about your upcoming flight. Not only will you want to make sure that they don't use stickers to upgrade you, but you'll want to make sure you have a chance at confirming the upgrade at the 100 hour window for EXP rather than the 72 hour window for Platinum. Grats on EXP BTW.

JDiver Oct 19, 2016 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by K's Logic (Post 27363824)

I can confirm you'll be able to use the Flagship Lounge at LAX, but you could try TBIT Qantas First lounge.

Be sure to affirm the record is updated for your new status, as if there are pre-existing PNRs they often won't automatically update.

Thanks

BenGone Oct 20, 2016 5:26 am

Hi, I recently jumped on a cheap fare from AMS-PHL-LAX (return) operated and marketed by AA. But as AA earnings now are revenue based and BA currently has a great promotion that still gets me decent miles even though it is an O fare, I decided to credit to BA.
Now I have been told that If I apply my SWUs to this trip that I wont have upgrade priority as EXP rather as a non-status flyer? Can anyone confirm that as this does not make sense to me at all... furthermore, in case the SWU will not clear I was told that I wont be able to use stickers to upgrade the domestic segments.
There are a lot of question marks for me here... has someone experienced anything similar?
Thanks you!

fedechat Oct 20, 2016 7:05 am

Originally Posted by BenGone (Post 27370473)
Hi, I recently jumped on a cheap fare from AMS-PHL-LAX (return) operated and marketed by AA. But as AA earnings now are revenue based and BA currently has a great promotion that still gets me decent miles even though it is an O fare, I decided to credit to BA.
Now I have been told that If I apply my SWUs to this trip that I wont have upgrade priority as EXP rather as a non-status flyer? Can anyone confirm that as this does not make sense to me at all... furthermore, in case the SWU will not clear I was told that I wont be able to use stickers to upgrade the domestic segments.
There are a lot of question marks for me here... has someone experienced anything similar?
Thanks you!

In order to get BA miles on your AA flights, you have to put your BA FF on the reservation, and when you do that, you will not get the same benefits because you don't have any status with BA. The system can not recognize if you are ExP if you are using another FF.

What you have to do is keep your ExP on the reservation and request a SWU, wait until you get upgraded on the long haul, then check if A bucket still available on the Domestic portion, after that, you can swap your FF to BA. I read that doing this at the gate is not possible, but you can always call ExP desk to see if they can do it.

BenGone Oct 21, 2016 7:59 am

Originally Posted by fedechat (Post 27370775)
In order to get BA miles on your AA flights, you have to put your BA FF on the reservation, and when you do that, you will not get the same benefits because you don't have any status with BA. The system can not recognize if you are ExP if you are using another FF.

What you have to do is keep your ExP on the reservation and request a SWU, wait until you get upgraded on the long haul, then check if A bucket still available on the Domestic portion, after that, you can swap your FF to BA. I read that doing this at the gate is not possible, but you can always call ExP desk to see if they can do it.

Thanks for the reply! I was thinking of what you proposed, the only problem I see is that the 3x avios promotion requires the FF# to be entered at booking. Therefore, one would assume that if you temporarily change the FF# that BA would not accept the 3x avios promotion.
So im facing the dilemma of either getting some miles out of the travel (with AA this is ridiculous, even with EXP) or having a chance of upgrading.
Has anyone experience with the 3x avios promotion? TIA

Rowyourboat Oct 21, 2016 9:57 am

Hey guys,

Current UA 1K here - just status matched to EXP. I have it for 3 months and can retain it if I get 35k EQM in that period.

Pretty excited to try out American - I've only flown the airline once. I have a bunch of travel upcoming so I'm eager to make the most of it. Looking forward to reading up here and learning the system.