Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW / Dallas Fort Worth BA "Executive Club" Contract Lounge (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2006, 2:13 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat

Being bored and with time to kill in this terminal, I visited the BA lounge. It is heavily guarded and the lounge dragon assured me admittance was only for those flying on BA. But they honoured my QF Emerald card and allowed me into the lounge "just this once". It is a very disappointing BA lounge, not the worst in the world but not the best. Furniture is OK, somewhat similar to the AC but not as nice. Food consists of snacks not any better than what the AC offers for free. More importantly the bar consists of a long counter filled with empty bottles, and a sign "see attendant for drinks". Of course the attendant is nowhere to be found. Unlike most BA lounges which are well stocked with scotch whiskey, this is below the AC quality level (no sign of JW Black, much less Blue). And to add insult to injury, internet access is $0.25 per minute. No UK newspapers are stocked, and magazines are mostly limited to the BA inflight magazines. The hours are limited to BA flight times (didn't pay close attention, but something like noon to 4:30 pm).

There is absolutely no reason to visit the BA lounge at DFW terminal D, even if you are flying BA. Much better off going to the nearby AC instead. The AC in D has a nice espresso machine (makes decent latte) and waiter service, and just a more elegantly furnished space. Too bad BA/AA don't operate a joint lounge, maybe that would be better than either one is separately. But as it stands, I won't be going to this BA lounge again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

Note the DFW Terminal D BA Executive Club lounge (also a Priority Pass lounge) is operated by a third party for BA (and others) and is not a lounge oneworld elites should expect admission to unless they are BA elites or flying BA.

For information about the DFW Admirals Clubs, see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

dstan and JDiver
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Jun 10, 2011 at 5:36 pm Reason: added JDiver to mod note
Old Aug 15, 2006, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
BA forum, perhaps?
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:51 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Your mileage may vary

Originally Posted by number_6
Being bored and with time to kill in this terminal, I visited the BA lounge. It is heavily guarded and the lounge dragon assured me admittance was only for those flying on BA. But they honoured my QF Emerald card and allowed me into the lounge "just this once".
I visited the DFW BA lounge in mid-July with an AA ticket DFW-FRA, and was admitted with no hassle whatsoever.
It is a very disappointing BA lounge, not the worst in the world but not the best. Furniture is OK, somewhat similar to the AC but not as nice. Food consists of snacks not any better than what the AC offers for free.
I found the food was adequate, and -much- better than what the AC does -not- offer. In which AC at DFW are you finding free food?
More importantly the bar consists of a long counter filled with empty bottles, and a sign "see attendant for drinks". Of course the attendant is nowhere to be found. Unlike most BA lounges which are well stocked with scotch whiskey, this is below the AC quality level (no sign of JW Black, much less Blue).
Since I don't drink alcohol, I really don't care about booze. However, I did find the attendant quite friendly and helpful.
And to add insult to injury, internet access is $0.25 per minute.
If you're a T-Mobile subscriber, internet access is "free" all over the DFW airport, so one lounge is as good as the next.
No UK newspapers are stocked, and magazines are mostly limited to the BA inflight magazines.
I picked up some UK newspapers and also various magazines. Some were right up front and some were on a bookshelf kinda near the main TV.
The hours are limited to BA flight times (didn't pay close attention, but something like noon to 4:30 pm).
Maybe. I dunno.
There is absolutely no reason to visit the BA lounge at DFW terminal D, even if you are flying BA. Much better off going to the nearby AC instead. The AC in D has a nice espresso machine (makes decent latte) and waiter service, and just a more elegantly furnished space. Too bad BA/AA don't operate a joint lounge, maybe that would be better than either one is separately. But as it stands, I won't be going to this BA lounge again.
I'd definitely visit the BA lounge again, if only for the UK newspapers (spouse is British). It's a fairly nice lounge, considering they only have one flight a day. It sure beats the D Admirals Club. In my opinion. Your Mileage May Vary
Old Aug 22, 2006, 1:04 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
..while on the subject of partner lounges

I visited the BA Terraces lounge at SFO again last weekend. Aside from a half dozen bottles of wine on the counter for self-pouring (I had a NZ sauvignon blanc), I didn't check what hard liquor was available. There were plenty of juices out, and soft drinks and water in the refrigerator. Some finger sandwiches appeared later in the morning. They had wired DSL access that I was able to plug my laptop into, something I have not noticed at any of the AA lounges I frequent, and something I found valuable.

I was on a Qantas flight to Vancouver and they did not provide me with an invitation, even after hearing me ask if it was open, and the contract check-in person asking about my One World status. The BA sentry let me in upon presentation of my AA EXP card, with no questions asked.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 5:03 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
My experiences at the DFW BA lounge have been much more like SquareDanceGuy's than number_6's.

No problems with admission (Qantas Gold card, domestic AA flights most of the time), attendant very attentive, and packaged snacks that were much better than the peanuts in the ACs. Booze was free (no coupons required) but no JW Blue or even Gold/Black. I usually drank Jack Daniels instead. No UK newspapers that I saw, but there were a few UK magazines. I have a T-Mobile account, so all of DFW is my HotSpot.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 6:32 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
When I was there (August 2006) the only snacks were packaged shortbread cookies and crisps. The "no JW Blue" is a bit of an understatement, it was JW Red that was on offer (costs 10% of the JW Blue price, so BA is saving a bit of money there). The lounge dragon was actually an LH employee (maybe it rotates, or varies by time of day) and might have accounted for the strange reception. The internet service provided by BA in their lounge is priced at USD 15 per hour, and is not free. Maybe BA decided to price it so high to better serve their customers who don't know about the other services at DFW. There were no UK papers or magazines of any kind, but this was after the 8/10 events which caused considerable chaos with LHR/LGW flights and might account for the lack of papers.

I was surprised that BA operated such a lounge -- they don't usually. It does sound that standards were higher in the past, and have slipped. The BA attendant was very friendly, and let slip that BA has been losing a lot of J/F pax to LH out of DFW.

The AC in DFW D did have more/better free food out (don't get excited, it was the usual celery sticks, pretzels and apples). I didn't find a single aspect of the BA lounge that was better than the AC, which is a shame for a brand new facility. I guess BA thinks the lounge at DFW is not an important aspect of their service.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Here is a question about the BA lounge at DFW.

I'm flying DFW-MEX-LHR next month (DFW-MEX on AA, MEX-LHR on BA). While I know that technically I should be allowed access to the BA lounge as I'm flying internationally that day (and on BA in F), has anyone actually doing this type of routing been successful in using the BA lounge?
Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by number_6
The "no JW Blue" is a bit of an understatement, it was JW Red that was on offer (costs 10% of the JW Blue price, so BA is saving a bit of money there)
Seems as though JW Red is the back up for JW Blue. Was in the CCR last month and whilst I was there the Blue ran out and was replaced by a bottle of the Red. Asked if there was any Blue left and was told no.

Incidentally later on the Charles Heidsieck champagne also ran out leaving the far inferior Monopole Blue Top. The waitress went and actually found a bottle for me in the First Lounge and brought it to me, complete with ice bucket ^
Old Dec 20, 2006, 1:33 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Just curious if anyone had visited the BA lounge in D recently? I always go to the AC in D, but want to give the lounge a try next week, DFW-LGW. Looks like admission won't be a problem.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Abidjan
Just curious if anyone had visited the BA lounge in D recently? I always go to the AC in D, but want to give the lounge a try next week, DFW-LGW. Looks like admission won't be a problem.
I was in it about two weeks ago. It is in a pavillion of lounges that also operate for LH and KE. When you come up to the elevator, there is a generic sentry for all three lounges. It has a feel of one of those executive offices where they can change the signs off in about 60 seconds.

There were some of the signature BA lounge colored coffee cups, and a model of the Concorde, but otherwise fairly generic. There is a small room (with views) that apparently was an F lounge but is now just part of the entire lounge. There is a small library and as mentioned, a fairly extensive selection of magazines, but it is on the backside of the library - opposite where the bar is if memory serves.

Food was mainly pre-packaged cheese and crackers, some cookies and biscuits. I was surprised they didn't put out some finger sandwiches or something more, especially since the BA departure is 420pm.

Boos was free ^ so that and the cheese were the biggest differences I could find from the AC. I would say that it was the BA lounge I have been with that is closest to AC level - or put another way - not as good as most BA lounges.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 6:22 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
elitetraveler - thanks very much for the update. This helps. ^
Old Dec 21, 2006, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by techgirl

I'm flying DFW-MEX-LHR next month (DFW-MEX on AA, MEX-LHR on BA). While I know that technically I should be allowed access to the BA lounge as I'm flying internationally that day (and on BA in F), has anyone actually doing this type of routing been successful in using the BA lounge?

Actually, I have been successful in gaining access as a PLT/SPH flying in Y to MEX on AA. As long as your itinerary qualifies as international for OW lounge access purposes, you should have no problem.

If you get a dragon who won't let you in, go to the AC and ask the AAngel to call over and explain the OW rules.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 1:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
I was in it about two weeks ago. It is in a pavillion of lounges that also operate for LH and KE. When you come up to the elevator, there is a generic sentry for all three lounges. It has a feel of one of those executive offices where they can change the signs off in about 60 seconds.
Ahh, I see. I had always assumed that it was one common lounge that was used by those carriers. I didn't realize that there were individual lounges beyond that common entry.

Maybe next time I'm transiting through DFW internationally, I'll pop by and have a look.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by techgirl

I tried to get in back in April coming off the KIX-DFW flight, connecting to BDL. I was allowed in, but the gate keeper said I probably would prefer the AC. I saw the lounge and how crowded it was an promptly agreed.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PresRDC
I tried to get in back in April coming off the KIX-DFW flight, connecting to BDL. I was allowed in, but the gate keeper said I probably would prefer the AC. I saw the lounge and how crowded it was an promptly agreed.
My recollection is also there are no monitors in the lounge - so if you were going on an AA flight you wouldn't know about gate changes, delays, etc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.