Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS: The ugly truth about LUS ("West" 757) First Class service to Hawaii

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LUS: The ugly truth about LUS ("West" 757) First Class service to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2006, 6:59 pm

Programs: U*S Chairman 2008 (2006 = 248,000 Actual Miles on HP) Hilton HHonors Diamond CO OnePass Platinum
This is why IF i still lived in PHX, I would fly CO PHX EWR - EWR HNL on 777. Lets hope U*S moves East Planes (I wish A330) to Hawaii.

If U*S doesn't get their act together on these trans pac flights, they will abandon them just like the 2004 - 2005 Trans Con Flights.

Lets hope not.... But the ball is in THEIR court!
Old Jan 11, 2006, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
Oh man, just wait 'till these Arizona hillbillies start tampering with the transatlantic flights! Yee haw!
Old Jan 11, 2006, 9:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
That sounds horrible. Were there many empty seats? I'm curious as to whether they were telling the truth about being weight restricted, or if they're overbooking to unconscionable levels. What a lousy start to a vacation.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 9:49 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by JY4D
PHX-HNL is only about 2900 miles - so there's no real reason why a 757 can't do the run with a full load.
ATA has been flying B757s PHX-HNL and PHX-OGG for years without problems (other than the Greyhound cabin).
Old Jan 11, 2006, 9:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HPDTW
This is why IF i still lived in PHX, I would fly CO PHX EWR - EWR HNL on 777. . .
Now there's a routing for you -- only on FT would someone consider that a good thing.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by murphy
That sounds horrible. Were there many empty seats? I'm curious as to whether they were telling the truth about being weight restricted, or if they're overbooking to unconscionable levels. What a lousy start to a vacation.
There were about 50 empty seats.

Seriously, there were plenty of empty seats by the time we were in the air -- this was not an overbooking issue.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by flyboy7974
just wondering then how the ata flights have been working this route for so long, and they operate an all coach 197pax seating, meaning, more seats = more pax = more baggage = more weight. i know that the ata a/c dont have the added weight in the galleys with the ovens, but still, they have been flying phx-hnl for how long. somebody help
Doesn't ATA use 753's on most of the Hawaii routes, though? Or are they 752's?
Old Jan 12, 2006, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by FlyerAl
Arizona hillbillies
Arizona? Hillbillies ?
Old Jan 12, 2006, 1:51 am

CO uses the 757-200 to fly EWR-Berlin which is 3980 miles -vs- PHX-HNL- 2917 miles. CO had some problems but they may have resolved the range issues. For example, CO has winglets that improve performance. Also, the engine may make a difference. The Rolls-Royce engine generally has better performance than the PW engines on the 757. Do the US Airways 757 have better range or are they the same as the AW planes?
Old Jan 12, 2006, 2:58 am

Programs: UA 1P /Starwood Gold/Hyatt Plat/UA RCC
This is a good indicator how they will run the new US. All the airlines flying this route offer an upgraded product.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 9:58 am

Programs: U*S Chairman 2008 (2006 = 248,000 Actual Miles on HP) Hilton HHonors Diamond CO OnePass Platinum
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Now there's a routing for you -- only on FT would someone consider that a good thing.

Sad part is...... The "CO" route VS U*S route would probably get you on the beach faster 80% of the Time. Due to U*S poor equipment on these routes!
Old Jan 12, 2006, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
I hate to say it, but the service in First and the seats on the 757 are why I was never excited about this new addition. I have always thought it was a bad idea and would prefer to just stick with HA or NW (I fly to LIH each year first going through SEA). I can't stand the seats in the 757's and actually flew to TPA the other day and drove to Orlando where I needed to be so that I wouldn't have to fly in a 757, even in first.

I am very shocked and dissapointed about the whole state of the airline right now and this is just another one of those moves that adds to my feelings.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
Doesn't ATA use 753's on most of the Hawaii routes, though? Or are they 752's?
As of recently, they've integrated some 737s into their schedule. I saw one of them parked at gate 14 a few nights ago at HNL.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 7:49 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Thanks for the post. I considered HP LAS-PHX-HNL-KOA on Jan 1 but went the UA route with a F upgrade certificate. Boy am I glad that I did so. I am sure that US will get it right eventually, but in the meanwhile UA 767 (UA 757 aren't as nice as their 767s) to HI is the way to go.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:29 pm

Spoke w/ a AWA rep on the phone and she seemed to think that it would take considerable time to get anotehr type of plane on this route due to the overwater items needed to fly this place. Said that it took 12-18 mos for AWA to get the 752's ready for the Hawaii flight? Is US Airbus not fitted for this type of overwater travel?

If not seems at least a year away. I dont know much about this so it seemed plausible to me. Anyone else have a better thought to add?

Ken in Phx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.