Middle cubby (underseat) space protocol

Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Fraser
Based on the tone of his request I told him I wasn't going to do that
Agreed. I would have told him to pound salt on as well.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Fraser
Well, after writing this a few days I took my first flight where someone asked me to move my bag

I was in 4F on a 738 and was amongst the first onboard so put my bag in the no mans land. When I came back from the toilet the guy told me to put my bag (regular Tumi over the shoulder) under the seat in front of me. Based on the tone of his request I told him I wasn't going to do that (it was certainly not intruding in his foot area) and he "offered" to put the bag in the overhead. I told him I wanted the bag because there were items I needed during the flight. I did stand the bag up (which it could just about manage) to mildly placate him.

He had a small backpack that he put under the seat in front but on the aisle side then sat with his legs at an angle the whole time in an effort to "claim" as much space as he could. People are weird.
Was it a 738 with individual IFE screens? Those have so little space under the aisle seat that it seems only fair to let the aisle pax stow their bag in the middle.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by deeruck
Was it a 738 with individual IFE screens? Those have so little space under the aisle seat that it seems only fair to let the aisle pax stow their bag in the middle.
It was the 738 with the newer seats but no IFE. There was plenty of room his feet and his (small) bag under the seat in front of him.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
IIRC there are 2 equal and one smaller cubby spaces on the 738 and the aisle has the smaller space. In this case the windows passenger was claiming both of the larger under seat spaces. Sorry, IMO the window seat passenger was out of line here and deserved the attitude from the aisle passenger.

When there are 2 larger and 1 smaller spaces, the two larger spaces should be shared between the two seatmates. That's the equitable thing to do. Shame on AA for not making the smaller space always end up in the middle but that's the way it is. And I say this as someone who typically sits in the window seat and willingly gives up the middle space in order to be fair.
Uzzar likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As long as I have "control" over the space physically in front of my seat (for either my bag or my legs), I'm fine. If the other pax needs to use the space in the middle cubby that spans across both seats because there's no other space, that's usually fine, but it doesn't mean s/he can use that *entire* space (e.g., the space in front of me is mine...). If the bag won't fit without impeding my legroom, then it needs to go up.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA CK EXP 3MM, National EE, Hertz Plat
I just assumed it was split in half. Draw an imaginary line in the middle and we stick to our sides. I typically get to my seat first, place my small computer bag/briefcase so it equally divides the center. My seatmate get's their portion and I get mine. Sometimes I get shafted with the IFE box, but that's life!

Last edited by JSSAUCE; Sep 19, 2017 at 5:10 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
You can fly Alaska to see the conundrum.

First Class on a new 737-900ER the aisle seat has the usual restricted space, and the window seat has a power distribution box under it. The middle seat isn't very large, so there's really not much other space than the middle area. (OTOH, the new overhead megabins could possibly swallow a Jeep!)
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I get that. However, if it comes down to a pax wanting to see their belongings in the "middle space" versus me having room for my feet/legs under the potion of the middle space that's in front of my seat, that pax would be using the space in front of their seat for their belongings.
My post was about people putting their belongings in the overhead bin across the aisle from their seat, not use of the middle underseat storage space/legroom.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.