Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Predeparture Beverages: When, What and Why not?

NOTE: Due to PDB service cancellation, this thread will rest until PDB resumption.
Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.

Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB

Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Thanks to RogerD408

Print Wikipost

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
29 JUL AA940 SCL-DFW Standard Int'l J PDB
30 JUL AA2356 DFW-DEN Full PDB
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:43 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
A few data points.

7/29/17 AA1301 EWR-MIA No PBD also probably the WORST crew I have experienced in over 120 segments on AA since I switched over from UA. FA that served First got to the gate as they started preboarding the wheelchairs. After breakfast was served they disappeared.

7/29/17 AA2476 MIA-BZE Open bar PBD.

7/30/17 AA842 BZE-CLT Open bar PBD. Was shocked that my request for a vodka tonic was granted since we were on the ground in an international spot. Disagreeing with some of the reports I've read on here.

7/30/17 AA1851 CLT-EWR Open bar PBD.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 5:02 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Just stepping off a DL CRJ200 to RIC for a two week trip, I'm very envious Hopefully the PDB service was followed up with acceptable service en route to the islands. Cheers.
The rest of the service was wonderful, thanks. I'm hoping to elaborate further in my first trip report afterwards.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by jcatman
What we need is a true "lead FA", paid more and empowered with the ability to reward when the right tasks are completed, and to discipline when tasks are ignored. Truly.
Not enough money in the coffers for a manager on every flight, every day
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:39 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by skylady
Really? There was "money in the coffers" for significant stock buybacks and unscheduled pay raises.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Not sure I buy that.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:31 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by jcatman
What we need is a true "lead FA", paid more and empowered with the ability to reward when the right tasks are completed, and to discipline when tasks are ignored. Truly.
Amen to that - I've thought it for a long time.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 2:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
02JUL AA466, PHL-CLT, 1525-1715, full PDB
02JUL AA1814, CLT-SAT, 1825-2021, full PDB
14JUL AA1573, SAT-ORD, 0810-1102, limited PDB
Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by cmd320
Not sure I buy that.
How much extra would you pay per flight to have a manager on it?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How much extra would you pay per flight to have a manager on it?
On SQ the cabin service managers are generally included at no extra cost. It's part of the service structure.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
On SQ the cabin service managers are generally included at no extra cost. It's part of the service structure.
I'm sure the unions would (rightly) have some say in this...

Back on topic

BOS-DCA shuttle yesterday full PDB - the FAs I recognize now have my drink ready for me before I even sit down, don't know if this is a good or bad thing. 😂
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:17 am
Suspended

How relevant.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by iadisgreat

Back on topic

BOS-DCA shuttle yesterday full PDB - the FAs I recognize now have my drink ready for me before I even sit down, don't know if this is a good or bad thing. 😂
wow that's impressive! ^
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I'm certain they would, and I'm certain you've ID'd the problem. Which I why I don't buy that there is not money to do it, there just isn't an ability to do it.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I'm certain they would, and I'm certain you've ID'd the problem. Which I why I don't buy that there is not money to do it, there just isn't an ability to do it.
I would not expect AA to put someone on board just to watch the FAs and if this person is management they may not pay union dues. Yes, it's easy to say "put management on board" (and I have said that in the past). But, in reality, it's much more involved than that. Until they do, it is up to us to report the issues, each and every time, until AA is willing/able to address the issue. It's too prevalent to just be lack of training and dealing with performance issues is not easy without direct knowledge of the failures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.