Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club pass, can you use it if booked on Qantas? (to merge)

Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:07 am
Original Poster

What we have now isn't working, we have the Executive card which doesn't allow our daughter when she's traveling alone (which she always is) to use the club pass.

Do we have to buy both the Advantage and Qantas club lounge passes to access both Advantage and Qantas club lounges? Sometimes we are on American direct, often she's on Qantas direct earning Advantage miles. She's living in AU now, so we're all making the trip back and forth twice a year, thus far it's gone well, she's flown first a couple of times so it wasn't a problem... but alas last night was a problem in Brisbane.

Any knowledge of what happens if we buy Advantage access but have Qantas booked tickets?

Last edited by chris1gill; Aug 20, 2017 at 7:16 am
Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Lounge passes only work in a carrier's own lounges when travelling on that carrier's flights (and typically not code-shares). As with all generalities, exceptions apply.

Interline lounge benefits exist only for J and F class passengers and for OWS and OWE frequent fliers. If your daughter doesn't qualify for OWS, then it is probably best to buy lounge passes from the carrier after you've ticketed, so you know she is holding the correct one.

Alternatively look at a priority pass membership for her. Depending on the number of flights she is taking per year, that might be cost effective.
mike.macrone likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AC*SE
Lounge passes only work in a carrier's own lounges when travelling on that carrier's flights (and typically not code-shares). As with all generalities, exceptions apply.

Interline lounge benefits exist only for J and F class passengers and for OWS and OWE frequent fliers. If your daughter doesn't qualify for OWS, then it is probably best to buy lounge passes from the carrier after you've ticketed, so you know she is holding the correct one.

Alternatively look at a priority pass membership for her. Depending on the number of flights she is taking per year, that might be cost effective.
What's a Priority Pass Membership? She hasn't flown enough on cash thus far to have status, I've always put her on my miles. Christmas time is cash on Qantas direct. She flies back September 9, I have to get her club access by then, whatever it takes.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by chris1gill
What's a Priority Pass Membership? She hasn't flown enough on cash thus far to have status, I've always put her on my miles. Christmas time is cash on Qantas direct. She flies back September 9, I have to get her club access by then, whatever it takes.
What are trying to accomplish with club access? As for priority pass, here is their link.
https://www.prioritypass.com/
Old Aug 20, 2017, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Oh yes, I have a code to join at home...

What I'm trying to accomplish is that whether the 3 of us us book through American or Qantas on cash or on points we're able to use the American or Qantas lounges.

Priority pass looks like it will work, 400.00 each minus whatever that code is worth gets us unlimited access. Is that the best we can do? This would keep us from having to buy each airlines club lounge access.

Originally Posted by arollins
What are trying to accomplish with club access? As for priority pass, here is their link.
https://www.prioritypass.com/
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:16 am

What we have now isn't working, we have the Executive card which doesn't allow our daughter when she's traveling alone (which she always is) to use the club pass.
You the have the Executive card, I presume this is the Citibank World Elite? Which provide for AAdmirals club membership for you and your spouse.. Since your daughter is traveling alone, nor a card holder, she is not entitle for club access.

Oh yes, I have a code to join at home...

What I'm trying to accomplish is that whether the 3 of us us book through American or Qantas on cash or on points we're able to use the American or Qantas lounges.

Priority pass looks like it will work, 400.00 each minus whatever that code is worth gets us unlimited access. Is that the best we can do? This would keep us from having to buy each airlines club lounge access.
You are able to have club access no matter how do you the booking, cash or miles since you already have the World Elite card. If you book a business or first class ticket you also have club access automatically. However if your daughter is traveling separably she has no access, unless traveling on business or first. How many trips does your daughter do alone? Typical single day club access cost is average of $50, your $400 priority pass will break even at 8 trips. You can also see if she can qualify for the American Express Platinum card, which gives PP membership as well.

I suggest you analyze the normal travel pattern for your family and determine what is cost effective. It appears that just buying a day pass might be the answer.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Yes, the Executive card. Can we also use the Admirals lounge if we've booked directly through Qantas?

She is a card holder, just not the primary card holder. It appears even the spouse has to be with the card holder to enter the Qantas lounges.

She just ran from Tom Bradley to the Domestic terminal Admiral's lounge to find the showers had an hour backlog, ran back to Tom Bradley to catch her Qantas flight to JFK, she barely made it. I looked at PP, it won't help so much, the LAX lounge with a shower is only good starting at noon.

Last I knew AA stopped doing the daily passes (but she can use the card for those)

Qantas used to offer a 1 person pass for like 400 a year, that would have been perfect, but it looks like they did away with it. She's a student so she doesn't qualify for any credit card.

I'm just trying to figure out what our best avenue is. She comes back and forth twice a year hitting 3 airports at least and has flown within the country or NZ at least a few times in the last year (she didn't try to use club lounge). Then we go at least twice a year ourselves, and we've hit up to 8 airports at a time since we travel around. I know we have a trip coming up out of JFK all on Qantas booked through American, routing through Tom Bradley LAX from JFK, SYD, BNE maybe CNS haven't decided.... This morning has given me a massive headache. We travel enough just on these trips to make whatever we pay worth the benefit of club lounge IMHO, I don't know how people sit out in the terminal... I can't do it. This paying cash on Qantas and only having the Admirals club has me worried for myself!

Originally Posted by arollins
You the have the Executive card, I presume this is the Citibank World Elite? Which provide for AAdmirals club membership for you and your spouse.. Since your daughter is traveling alone, nor a card holder, she is not entitle for club access.

You are able to have club access no matter how do you the booking, cash or miles since you already have the World Elite card. If you book a business or first class ticket you also have club access automatically. However if your daughter is traveling separably she has no access, unless traveling on business or first. How many trips does your daughter do alone? Typical single day club access cost is average of $50, your $400 priority pass will break even at 8 trips. You can also see if she can qualify for the American Express Platinum card, which gives PP membership as well.

I suggest you analyze the normal travel pattern for your family and determine what is cost effective. It appears that just buying a day pass might be the answer.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:22 am

Yes, the Executive card. Can we also use the Admirals lounge if we've booked directly through Qantas?
Yes, you and your spouse have Admirals club membership, you have access to it regardless of which airline you are flying.

She is a card holder, just not the primary card holder. It appears even the spouse has to be with the card holder to enter the Qantas lounges.
This is correct. The Citibank World Elite allows full Admirals club membership to the primary card holder and spouse. Each member can "guest" up to 2 other non-members per visit.

She just ran from Tom Bradley to the Domestic terminal Admiral's lounge to find the showers had an hour backlog, ran back to Tom Bradley to catch her Qantas flight to JFK, she barely made it. I looked at PP, it won't help so much, the LAX lounge with a shower is only good starting at noon.
Can't count on the shower availability when you need them, LAX its very busy airport with numerous travelers using lounges. I've encountered similar issues in the past as well, not also in LAX.

Last I knew AA stopped doing the daily passes (but she can use the card for those)
There are other lounges as well.

Qantas used to offer a 1 person pass for like 400 a year, that would have been perfect, but it looks like they did away with it. She's a student so she doesn't qualify for any credit card.

I'm just trying to figure out what our best avenue is. She comes back and forth twice a year hitting 3 airports at least and has flown within the country or NZ at least a few times in the last year (she didn't try to use club lounge). Then we go at least twice a year ourselves, and we've hit up to 8 airports at a time since we travel around. I know we have a trip coming up out of JFK all on Qantas booked through American, routing through Tom Bradley LAX from JFK, SYD, BNE maybe CNS haven't decided.... This morning has given me a massive headache. We travel enough just on these trips to make whatever we pay worth the benefit of club lounge IMHO, I don't know how people sit out in the terminal... I can't do it. This paying cash on Qantas and only having the Admirals club has me worried for myself!
It seems to me that you are not too familiar with the proper usage of our AAdmiral club membership and accessibility.You should get a familiar with it in order to see how to maximize it to your advantage. Unfortunately, as it stands your daughter has no membership nor lounge access on her own. Some of the day passes may not be advantageous to her due to location or alliances, (NZ). Since she is a student and not qualifies for a credit card does not help. I think you are expecting too much for a non member.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:26 am
Suspended

I'd tend to assume that AA will start selling day-passes at LAX again either on/around September 5th when the T5 lounge opens or certainly when the T4 lounge opens once construction is complete.

One-Day Pass
Available at select locations for $59. Excludes airports with clubs under construction:

Chicago (ORD)
Dallas / Fort Worth (DFW)
Los Angeles (LAX)
Miami (MIA)
New York (JFK)
Also, I'm not personally familiar, but is this not current (or a snag I don't know about?):
https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlin...ypes/global/en

Qantas Club individual memberships can be purchased for 1, 2 or 4 years. The longer the membership period, the more you save
...Qantas used to offer a 1 person pass for like 400 a year, that would have been perfect, but it looks like they did away with it. She's a student so she doesn't qualify for any credit card.!
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We will move this to the proper thread soon.

Meantime, Admirals Club membership (purchased directly or Citi Executive MasterCard) allows Qantas Club access under quite restricted conditions.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html.

See Admirals Club Membership: Annual and Citi Exec Card (+ 1 Day Pass) (master thread) for more about memberships (and secondary Executive Card cardholder access), and daily passes (the latter are useless for Qantas Clubs).

See the different kinds of Priority Pass, lounge locations and guest fees here. Some credit cards in luxe Priority Pass.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.