Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

CC that earns the most AA Miles for Everyday Spend?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2017, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Just wondering which card people typically use to get the most AA Miles for everyday spend? Just moved to CLT for work and previously always flew United, which I used my 400k UR points to book. I'm used to getting minimum 1.5 points/miles per dollar but often 2-3. Seems that's not possible with AA unless I'm missing something.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EP
At this point, none of the various Aa cards have category spend bonuses for non-AA spend. Sometimes, Citi or Barclays will have a short term, targeted promo for 2x on maybe supermarkets. But it is not an everyday thing

Originally Posted by amartin22
Just wondering which card people typically use to get the most AA Miles for everyday spend? Just moved to CLT for work and previously always flew United, which I used my 400k UR points to book. I'm used to getting minimum 1.5 points/miles per dollar but often 2-3. Seems that's not possible with AA unless I'm missing something.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think Barclays was more likely than Citi to give the periodic bonuses.

Also, the SPG Amex (while it lasts!) effectively gives 1.25 miles for every dollar, as you can transfer 20k Starpoints into 25k airline miles (in many programs, not just AA). But of course no special travel benefits with AA.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
SPG Amex is the way to go for general spending! 1.25 effective RDMs per dollar in all categories, plus you also can just keep the Starpoints (which are much more valuable than AA RDMs) until you really need to transfer them to miles for an award.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ESpen36
plus you also can just keep the Starpoints (which are much more valuable than AA RDMs)
Just like with (most) airline miles, there are a range of values you can get in a redemption with Starpoints. Of course Starpoints are easier to use (i.e., no blackout dates), but I think typical redemption value is 1.5-2c per point. You can obviously go quite a bit higher with premium class redemptions via AA/partners. i think it's unusual to get more than 3.5-4c/point via SPG, even with 5th night free.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Just like with (most) airline miles, there are a range of values you can get in a redemption with Starpoints. Of course Starpoints are easier to use (i.e., no blackout dates), but I think typical redemption value is 1.5-2c per point. You can obviously go quite a bit higher with premium class redemptions via AA/partners. i think it's unusual to get more than 3.5-4c/point via SPG, even with 5th night free.

The Points Guy pegs the Starpoint at 2.7 cents, making it the most valuable loyalty currency on the market. AA RDMs, by contrast are worth only 1.4 cents, down from 1.5 cents the same month last year.

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/08/aug...ly-valuations/
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
The Barclays Aviator Silver is the best pure AA mile earner. It earns 3 miles on AA, 2 miles on select hotels and car rentals, and 1 miles everywhere else.

I do agree though that starpoints are much more valuable, and the Amex SPG card is a very appealing everyday spender
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
With the lack of Saaver award availability, reduction in fares, earning AA miles with a credit card makes less and less sense.

We have currently switched to Citi Premier for personal use, Prestige for business. This is particularly beneficial for 3x points on travel, including gas, 2x points on dining and entertainment and 1x points on all other purchases. There are also no foreign transaction fees, Citi's travel interruption insurance is quite good. Citi TY points can be used to purchase tickets at a rate of 1.3 cents, eliminating concerns with award availability, earning miles for travel, ability to upgrade. Booking far in advance often provides access to discounted (domestic) first class at a marginally higher price.

So until AA loosens up saaver award availability, there is little reason to accumulate AA miles with credit card purchases for domestic travel.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Points Guy pegs the Starpoint at 2.7 cents, making it the most valuable loyalty currency on the market. AA RDMs, by contrast are worth only 1.4 cents, down from 1.5 cents the same month last year.

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/08/aug...ly-valuations/
Lol.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:43 pm

SPG Amex is the way to go for general spending! 1.25 effective RDMs per dollar in all categories, plus you also can just keep the Starpoints (which are much more valuable than AA RDMs) until you really need to transfer them to miles for an award.
Yes, do the spend on SW Amex, then if you transfer to AA in 20,000 point increments you get a bonus of 5,000 more, netting you 25,000 AA miles. SW Amex points also transfer to Delta and some other carriers Chase doesn't have. Almost always cheaper to transfer the points into an airline program than using points for flights on Amex itself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.