Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Status Progress and EQD / EQS / EQMileage "Runs" (2017)

Status Progress and EQD / EQS / EQMileage "Runs" (2017)

Old Aug 20, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jimmielin
Probably going to try hit AA EXP this year. Booked travel leaves me about on Platinum Pro w/ ~75k EQMs, so it's still a huge stretch to get 25k EQMs in a few months :P

Likely going to fly CX Premium Economy HKG-JFK and back, which yields ~24k EQMs but might have a hard time explaining to US CBP why I flew 16h to spend one weekend in NYC! (And as a non-US passport holder, I'm kind of sure I will get sent to secondary for that)

Luckily EQDs haven't affected me as I rarely fly AA (and the only times I do, it's always been short-notice full-fare Y which lets me overshoot EQDs by far!)
This year as Plat Pro:

I did SFO-LHR-CPT-LHR-SFO on BA PE (34,086 EQM, 4546 EQD, 40,906 RDM) with 6 hours in London and 11 in CPT, no issues. BA also oversold PE so my SFO-LHR they bumped me to business which was easier on my way out there.

I also did LAX-HKG-SIN-HKG-LAX on CX PE and it wasn't bad (26,530 EQM, $3540 EQD, 31,836 RDM).

If they start giving you grief, just say you're going for airline miles.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, JetSmarter, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by apeortdz
I did my MR in March so I am all set to be EXP again. I had my entire year planned out and I knew I'd be a few thousand miles short so I flew PHL-LAS-PHL for 2176x2 miles and stayed in Vegas for 40 minutes.
That's the way to do it!
apeortdz likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 4:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Stripe
Opportunities out of AUS for true MRs are rare.
I'm not sure where you are looking--or not--but mileage runs from AUS are quite plentiful, from what I've experienced.

For those unfamiliar, there is a forum dedicated to mileage running here on Flyertalk...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/

There is a subforum dedicated to premium fares.

And this thread in the discussion forum might also be helpful:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...lp-needed.html
Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
IMHO-Our "friends" in Revenue Management will say ... but . But thanks for playing.
I doubt Revenue Management will do that, if anything it will be the AAdvantage Ancillary Revenue team and considering that my partner who went down to Gold keeps getting offers to buy up to Platinum this late in the year, to me it is a signal that AA is aware of how many people are losing status and it concerns them because then there won't be enough people to buy 500-mile upgrades and they won't make reach their goals.

Also, AA has had such horrible turnover in the regular Revenue Management teams that I doubt many of the analysts know the demand for their markets well.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 8:22 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I've had a couple people PM me with questions on how I'm getting these JNB runs done.

There isn't a secret or complication. I just use Google flights, and book through BA.com with my Chase BA CC for 10% off and AARP for $130 off PE fares.

Screenshot below for anyone looking to rack up a crapload of EQDs and EQMs for less than $1500.

(I fly through LAX just for the Qantas FC Lounge)
Attached Images   

Last edited by 355F1; Aug 20, 2017 at 10:31 pm
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by 355F1
I've had a couple people PM me with questions on how I'm getting these JNB runs done.

There isn't a secret or complication. I just use Google flights, and book through BA.com with my Chase BA CC for $130 off PE fares.

Screenshot below for anyone looking to rack up a crapload of EQDs and EQMs for less than $1500.

I hope you're also getting the AARP discount.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:32 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by aztimm
I hope you're also getting the AARP discount.

Yes. I am.

Somehow that part of my sentence got deleted.

I fixed my post. ^^
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by 355F1

There isn't a secret or complication. I just use Google flights, and book through BA.com with my Chase BA CC for 10% off and AARP for $130 off PE fares.

Thanks!!!
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:14 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by davidsc111
Thanks!!!
Anything to help out my FT peeps!!!

Also, if you are a window-seat sleeper, do NOT pick the 747 if flying in PE on BA; there is a massive space between the seat and the plane's wall. The A380 has the side compartments and the ledge to fall asleep on--its quite comfy, to be honest.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Nice to know I am not the only one!

With 2 DFW-CDG-DFW in MCE, 1/2 DFW-CDG-DFW in J, 1 DFW-LAX-HKG-X-PVG-ORD-DFW, 1 DFW-LAX-DFW daytrip (her), 1 DFW-SFO-DFW daytrip (me) coming up, we are:

Still short of EXP.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:31 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
I did my CMR's early this year and requal'd using MH business fares to PEK by mid April. Added a QR business class RT for my June trip back to the US. Burned my SWU's with AA's HKG-LAX RT for GF and me in March. I'll end up the year with over 18,000 EQD's and 150k EQM's (GF will have similar numbers, though she missed one of the BKK-KUL-PEK runs.)

Anyone looking for a lower cost alternative run, look at the BA PE ARN fares back to the US for <$700. And, there are cheap positioning fares right now, like <$400. Seems to be higher EQD multiple than the JNB PE run (3.2x vs 2.4x,) but if you need to get it done in one trip, the JNB run looks good, long weekend deal. <$1100 vs apx $1800.

Last edited by rbAA; Aug 21, 2017 at 6:46 pm
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:37 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rbAA
I did my CMR's early this year and requal'd using MH business fares to PEK by mid April. Added a QR business class RT for my June trip back to the US. Burned my SWU's with AA's HKG-LAX RT for GF and me in March. I'll end up the year with over 18,000 EQD's and 150k EQM's (GF will have similar numbers, though she missed one of the BKK-KUL-PEK runs.)

Anyone looking for a lower cost alternative run, look at the BA PE ARN fares back to the US for <$700. And, there are cheap positioning fares right now, like <$500. Seems to be higher EQD multiple than the JNB PE run (3.2x vs 2.4x,) but if you need to get it done in one trip, the JNB run looks good, long weekend deal. <$1200 vs apx $1800.

Yep. I booked one of the ARN-LAX BA PE fares for Feb To jumpstart my 2018 travel EQMs.

Booked a positioning flight LAX-ARN in Y on AA metal (77W) for $496RT.

I split everything by a month so I'm flying there for only 2.5 days in Feb and flying the second legs in Mar.

Last edited by 355F1; Aug 21, 2017 at 6:47 pm
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:49 pm

Hello, Ill probably take a LAX LHR JNB in premium economy the total cost is 2301 USD.

Taxes, fees and carrier charges per person says 918 USD, will this count toward EQD ?

Fare 1384 USD

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:52 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by carlilef
Hello, Ill probably take a LAX LHR JNB in premium economy the total cost is 2301 USD.

Taxes, fees and carrier charges per person says 918 USD, will this count toward EQD ?

Fare 1384 USD

Thanks in advance
EQDs will be based on a percentage of Miles flown--20-22%; the fare you paid has nothing to do with EQDs if booked with BA.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/partner-airlines/british-airways.jsp

(that is quite a bit for a MR run to JNB, btw--$2,301)
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian
Mileage runs now are only as good at the appropriate EQD level they satisfy.
Not really, some long partner flights in premium cabins left me with a lot of EQDs and not so many EQMs (those top out at 150%).

Thus, I actually need to MR to hit EXP as even the cheapest MR will likely push me past the EXP EQD thresholds. And then past EXP, MR to 150K maybe to get some more SWUs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.