Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Help! 08/18 AA 1626 DCA to ORD cancelled (to merge IROPS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

Hi,

I'm currently at DCA and my flight is cancelled. I really need to get to ORD tonight.

What are my rights here? There's an indirect flight with AA tomorrow via MCO (ridiculous) that doesn't get me to ORD until late afternoon.

I see there is a United flight tonight.

Any help or advice is appreciated.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:33 pm

Have them accommodate you on UA and push your ticket over
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Got to an agent and they said they can't transfer us to UA.

Also they can't even provide a hotel for the night - the next flight is tomorrow morning.

We're booked in F - I thought that would come with better service. We just got told there is nothing that can be done as it is a weather cancellation.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
How much is the ticket on UA? If you have any UA miles/chase points, any award space? Your best bet might be to just buy the UA ticket and get a refund from AA. Poor form from AA to be sure but as soon as they say "weather" they stop caring.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:58 pm

Buy the one way on United and have your fare refunded for the DCA-ORD leg
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
What options have you found from IAD or BWI? How about through PHL, PIT, CLE, or somewhere else that makes sense?

What does the Amtrak schedule look like?

And lastly, since it sounds like you need to get there tonight, how much is a one-way rental car?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by TrimTab
Hi,

I'm currently at DCA and my flight is cancelled. I really need to get to ORD tonight.

What are my rights here? There's an indirect flight with AA tomorrow via MCO (ridiculous) that doesn't get me to ORD until late afternoon.

I see there is a United flight tonight.

Any help or advice is appreciated.
Canceled because of mechanical or weather? It makes a different in what AA could and should do for you. Unfortunately just because your on a domestic F ticket means jack.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:46 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by enviroian
Canceled because of mechanical or weather? It makes a different in what AA could and should do for you. Unfortunately just because your on a domestic F ticket means jack.
OP indicates weather above.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ty97
OP indicates weather above.
See that now.

Well technically AA doesn't owe you any hotel since it's wx. I know you stressed about getting to ohare tonight and if it's that crucial either buy a one way or redeem some miles.

If you do stay the night do you have trip delay and/or cancellation benefits with your credit card?

Sorry to hear the circumstance you're in.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Southwest has a flights to MDW from DCA tomorrow morning at 605am and 900am. Checking their website there does not seem to be any availability at the moment. WN can get you to MDW about 1230p but you have to connect at BNA, there is availability atm. UA IAD-ORD departs at 1003 tonite and appears to have availability.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:06 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Fly to either SYR, MSP, CMH or RDU on AA leaving around 10 pm tonight. Spend a short night in the airport. (If you choose MSP there's more stuff to do.) Take first flight in the morning to ORD. Arrive before 9 am.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/#view-...esearch=DCAORD
Old Aug 19, 2017, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What happened OP?
Old Aug 20, 2017, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help!

I requested a refund from AA and bought the one way on UA instead.

I made it to Chicago that night but was too exhausted to reply here.

Thanks again!
SK, JonNYC, enviroian and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For future reference: AA cannot rebook you on DL, only UA, because DL and AA no longer interline. However, if you're buying your own ticket (and hopefully getting a refund from AA) you can purchase DL just as well as UA.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: UA-SIL MR-TIT HYT-GBL IHG-PLT HH-DIA WYN-PLT AMEX-PLT
I was on the reverse routing same night (ORD-DCA late flight) that also cancelled wx. Was able to get EXPLAT desk to interline me on UA to Dulles but it did take the agent some time to call and get approval. It can be done, takes an agent who wants to help and ensuring your ticket change is marked as INVOL. But as with everything with the 'New American' aka USAir dba AA, YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.