Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAs "Not allowed" to serve canned drinks on 1 hr flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:03 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Yesterday I was flying PHL-ILM on Piedmont. FA went through the aisle with the cart that was fully stocked but only offered water & OJ. When she got to me, I asked for a Disaronno and Diet Coke. She said that they are "not allowed to serve anything other than water and orange juice on flights that are under 1 hour". I asked even as an ExPlat if I could just get a soda can since the full cart was there but she again refused. I took the water and also asked for the can of Pringles. She snidely repeated that they can only serve water and OJ.

I've flown this route many times and never been offered only water & OJ. Sure, when there's turbulence, they don't offer anything, which is expected. But nothing of the sort yesterday.

And if I wanted to get into semantics, the flight was scheduled for 1:39 and scheduled for 1:04 of air time, so it wasn't even <1:00 as she claimed.

Anyone ever heard anything like this before or just a rude/lazy FA?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I've flown many AA short hops and never heard this. I'd guess it's a Piedmont or FA issue. I'd complain.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:12 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Never heard of such. Don't they still print the snack rules on the AAmericanWay magazine or in the insert that its usually on the back seat pocket that has the magazine, safety insert, and the like?
Calchas likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Likely referencing this:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....fective-june-1

On my last few short hops, I just rang the call button, and the FA begrudgingly brought me a drink.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 17, 2017 at 4:02 pm Reason: Force link
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by arollins
Never heard of such. Don't they still print the snack rules on the AAmericanWay magazine or in the insert that its usually on the back seat pocket that has the magazine, safety insert, and the like?
Yep. Posted as "AAdvantage Executive Platinum and ConciergeKey members: Enjoy a complimentary snack or fresh meal with a standard alcoholic beverage when traveling in the Main Cabin. Simply present your membership card or boarding pass."

Originally Posted by AAEmpireState
Likely referencing this:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ective-june-1/

On my last few short hops, I just rang the call button, and the FA begrudgingly brought me a drink.
Unfortunately, that memo shows 250 mile as the cutoff. PHL-ILM is 413
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Fairly routine on micro-hops, especially where there is turbulence and thus the window for service is too short for a full service, to only offer a pre-poured limited service.

But, I have never been denied anything I've asked for. Although recently told that coffee on a 7:30 AM flight was instant from a packet with "hot" (lukewarm) water poured from a carafe.

If it irks you, send a note to AA with the flight number. Make certain that you clarify that this was not a safety-related issue relating to something such as turbulence.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Why do american airliners come up with the stupid attitudes and rules....just give the man a drink. He is paying for the flight anyways.

Geez.....
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Wow, totally wrong. I would definitely write in. This FA needs retraining.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
You really need to write in on this one. This is either a new policy on me or laziness on the FA.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Yep. Posted as "AAdvantage Executive Platinum and ConciergeKey members: Enjoy a complimentary snack or fresh meal with a standard alcoholic beverage when traveling in the Main Cabin. Simply present your membership card or boarding pass."

Unfortunately, that memo shows 250 mile as the cutoff. PHL-ILM is 413
Correct. Most definitely does not apply to this flight, and the FA invoked a phony rule in this instance.

Also note, the memo that is linked to above it for mainline flights under that distance in any case.

Last edited by JonNYC; Aug 17, 2017 at 2:15 pm
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
FA was being lazy. I've had the same issue on ORD-TOL flights. Either the FA says no service or water only or, in one case, decides on which specific sodas will be available (coke, diet coke, sprite). However, even when there is no cart service the FA usually asks me as an EXP whether I'd like anything.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all the feedback.

Originally Posted by wetrat0
Wow, totally wrong. I would definitely write in. This FA needs retraining.
Originally Posted by The smallest state
You really need to write in on this one. This is either a new policy on me or laziness on the FA.
Done and done.
Calchas likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Thanks everyone for all the feedback.
Done and done.
please let us know the outcome.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
sounds like pure and utter laziness.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
It's now the same on LAS - LAX and vice versa and has been for a few weeks.

The drinks run in coach is now limited to a small bottle of water (Dasani) and orange juice although I was able to get coffee on Wednesday's flight to LAX and a glass of wine on the return in the evening.

On the outbound I asked why there was no longer a full beverage service and was given the following three explanations:

1. No one else on the LAS - LAX route offers anything more than water and juice and AA will match their competitors' offerings (which is BS as I know others do)

2. Health & Safety (which I get if there's turbulence, but past experience has shown that turbulence never impacts the First cabin, only coach)

3. It's a bit of a hustle to get the service completed in the allocated time (which I do also get if it's a busy flight - but AA always managed it in the past).

So I was then told to write to "the company" as the FA was clearly annoyed with me blowing her arguments out of the water and she didn't make the rules.
Calchas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.