Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAs "Not allowed" to serve canned drinks on 1 hr flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAs "Not allowed" to serve canned drinks on 1 hr flights?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Geordie405
It's now the same on LAS - LAX and vice versa and has been for a few weeks.

The drinks run in coach is now limited to a small bottle of water (Dasani) and orange juice although I was able to get coffee on Wednesday's flight to LAX and a glass of wine on the return in the evening.

On the outbound I asked why there was no longer a full beverage service and was given the following three explanations:

1. No one else on the LAS - LAX route offers anything more than water and juice and AA will match their competitors' offerings (which is BS as I know others do)

2. Health & Safety (which I get if there's turbulence, but past experience has shown that turbulence never impacts the First cabin, only coach)

3. It's a bit of a hustle to get the service completed in the allocated time (which I do also get if it's a busy flight - but AA always managed it in the past).

So I was then told to write to "the company" as the FA was clearly annoyed with me blowing her arguments out of the water and she didn't make the rules.
It's not the same.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by JonNYC
It's not the same.
Can you elaborate? What's not the same?

I know this is a mainline flight and not American Eagle but the effect to the customer seem to the be same - i.e. only juice or water and not a full beverage service.

Apologies if I am missing something blatantly obvious?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Can you elaborate? What's not the same?

I know this is a mainline flight and not American Eagle but the effect to the customer seem to the be same - i.e. only juice or water and not a full beverage service.

Apologies if I am missing something blatantly obvious?
See post #4 .

The OP's flight, on the other hand, was an FA fabricating a policy.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Thanks for that - yes, definitely not the same as you rightly pointed out.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
An idea, have a cart/table in the jetway where boarding passengers can grab a can of soda or mini bottle of water. This could satisfy a majority of people's desire for a soda.

I remember back when America West used to do something similar where you could grab a bagged lunch in the jetway when you were boarding.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:43 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
An idea, have a cart/table in the jetway where boarding passengers can grab a can of soda or mini bottle of water. This could satisfy a majority of people's desire for a soda.

I remember back when America West used to do something similar where you could grab a bagged lunch in the jetway when you were boarding.
AA used to do it. They called the program the "cAArt" or something similar. Grab a sack lunch in the jetway. Them Wuz The Days.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
AA used to do it. They called the program the "cAArt" or something similar. Grab a sack lunch in the jetway. Them Wuz The Days.
I remember the Bistro Bags, but no 'cAArt'
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
How hard is it to grab a can out of the cart and hand it to someone? I can't imagine a lazier person, especially after requesting it.
Calchas and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:09 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
I remember the Bistro Bags, but no 'cAArt'
You're right, it was Bistro bAAgs. I get confused with all the terms such as trAAin, AAgent, sAAver, etc.

"A La Cart" was a marketing gimmick for Alaska's gate-checked bags.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
How hard is it to grab a can out of the cart and hand it to someone? I can't imagine a lazier person, especially after requesting it.
It's situations like this that really give a bad reputation to domestic airliners as well as the FA's.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:05 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
Originally Posted by AAEmpireState
Likely referencing this:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....fective-june-1

On my last few short hops, I just rang the call button, and the FA begrudgingly brought me a drink.
that only applied to mainline service.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Thanks everyone for all the feedback.

Done and done.
you can also probably reach out to Piedmont on Facebook. PSA, Republic and Mesa all have pretty responsive FB accounts. I've reached out to them to compliment an employee or complain about egregious behavior.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
I wonder what Mr.Bingham would have thought about this treatment of a passenger (Up in the Air/George Clooney)>
Old Aug 19, 2017, 1:26 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
It's now the same on LAS - LAX and vice versa and has been for a few weeks.

The drinks run in coach is now limited to a small bottle of water (Dasani) and orange juice although I was able to get coffee on Wednesday's flight to LAX and a glass of wine on the return in the evening.

On the outbound I asked why there was no longer a full beverage service and was given the following three explanations:

1. No one else on the LAS - LAX route offers anything more than water and juice and AA will match their competitors' offerings (which is BS as I know others do)

2. Health & Safety (which I get if there's turbulence, but past experience has shown that turbulence never impacts the First cabin, only coach)

3. It's a bit of a hustle to get the service completed in the allocated time (which I do also get if it's a busy flight - but AA always managed it in the past).

So I was then told to write to "the company" as the FA was clearly annoyed with me blowing her arguments out of the water and she didn't make the rules.
I've had a LAS to LAX flight in F with no service at all. Allegedly due to turbulence but it was smooth as can be.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by wolf72
I wonder what Mr.Bingham would have thought about this treatment of a passenger (Up in the Air/George Clooney)>
He wouldn't be caught dead on a PSA-operated regional flight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.