Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Hawaii: AA to resume ORD - HNL seasonally

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii: AA to resume ORD - HNL seasonally

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by formeraa
The traditional wisdom is that people want to get the Hawaii earlier in the day, rather than later. However, the point about connections is valid.
I'd tend to think/wonder if it isn't a utilization issue-- as in must leave at that time to get back in time for wherever it goes next. But just a guess on my part.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DoctorORD
AA wants to consolidate wide body flying at its bases to make things more efficient. The only remaining 777 at ORD is ORD-FCO right now, which will be downgraded to 787 this spring. Also, the only remaining int'l 767 flight is ORD-MAN - domestic is to DFW and MIA.

EDIT: I see that over the winter, the prime-time ORD-LHR flight (AA86) is getting a 44J seat 772. That is a complete surprise to me (and should make SWU usage fairly easy).
... should be another complete major surprise for you that ORD CDG is currently a 772 until early Oct when it goes back to a 789.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by scottmlew
Sort of related to this topic -- when AA moved to the 777 DFW-HNL, on some days they cut the old ~1100 flight and kept only the ~0900 flight. I can understand why they cut one of the flights, but I'm really puzzled by them keeping the earlier flight...it has a much more limited set of connections that apply than the ~1100. Any insight why they did this?

IMHO, AA doesn't make (much, if any) money on ticket revenue on the Hawaii routes, which are almost exclusively leisure markets. These routes operate so that AAdvantage members can redeem their miles to go on vacation, as well as for US Military (to move troops to/from the islands) and for cAArgo. Cargo is a big business for airlines on transoceanic routes. In fact, I've heard that there are some routes where an airline could operate a flight with the passenger cabin empty and still make money because of cargo!

I've gotten so I fly down to DFW the night before in order to catch AA 123, the 9am departure. As noted, I'd rather get to HNL sooner to avoid the horrible traffic that develops by mid-afternoon on the H1/Nimitz/Dillingham heading into town.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by ESpen36

I've gotten so I fly down to DFW the night before in order to catch AA 123, the 9am departure. As noted, I'd rather get to HNL sooner to avoid the horrible traffic that develops by mid-afternoon on the H1/Nimitz/Dillingham heading into town.
^we do the same thing. Love getting to HNL around Noon.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Hollinger Clarke
... should be another complete major surprise for you that ORD CDG is currently a 772 until early Oct when it goes back to a 789.
wow, thanks. i just flew ORD-CDG on the 789 at the beginning of the month, so it must have changed over in just the past 1-2 weeks. anyway, this widebody consolidation plan is as per AA VP network planning.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
AA wants to consolidate wide body flying at its bases to make things more efficient. The only remaining 777 at ORD is ORD-FCO right now, which will be downgraded to 787 this spring. Also, the only remaining int'l 767 flight is ORD-MAN - domestic is to DFW and MIA.

EDIT: I see that over the winter, the prime-time ORD-LHR flight (AA86) is getting a 44J seat 772. That is a complete surprise to me (and should make SWU usage fairly easy).
A 787 is a downgrade from the 777?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pkerr
Technically it's a downgauge as it has fewer seats than the 777, but it may be an upgrade (or downgrade!) in terms of passenger comfort, etc.
JonNYC and marnold3 like this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:22 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post

we do the same thing. Love getting to HNL around Noon.

I stay at ORD the night and get the 5am flight to DFW to take the AA123
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IMHO, AA doesn't make (much, if any) money on ticket revenue on the Hawaii routes, which are almost exclusively leisure markets.
I used to buy quite a few tickets from Europe to Hawaii because they used to be dirt cheap (sub US$1400 in J and often sub US$2000 in F out of Dublin and Bergen) and a good way to earn some points and enjoy a weekend in Hawaii.

But we noticed that AA clamped down on that, including making special provisions preventing us from booking into the "A" bucket, and then zeroing the "P" bucket on the civilized non-red-eyes (back when we had F/A/P buckets on the route). No other route in the Americas got that special exemption. They also started to exclude Hawaii from their better F and J deals to the USA of late.

They must have made some money if they wanted to discourage free loaders like me from buying revenue F tickets on the route.

Cargo is a big business for airlines on transoceanic routes. In fact, I've heard that there are some routes where an airline could operate a flight with the passenger cabin empty and still make money because of cargo!
Aye, that's true enough in general, but don't forget that AA is now weight-restricted on its 321 flights to Hawaii. The 321 doesn't have the range to get to Hawaii against a headwind if it's fully loaded with cargo and pax.

Last edited by Calchas; Aug 16, 2017 at 4:59 pm
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:15 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum

Um, my ORD-CDG flight last month was on a 763 and the flight back on a 772. Can't speak to every flight but that was my experience. That said, I would be THRILLED if AA went all 787 out of ORD. It's a great aircraft and AA did a reasonably good job configuring the thing up front.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:42 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by shimps1
Curious.... What's the reasoning behind getting the 777 out of ORD?
AA has been progressively going back to the strategy they had used several years ago, segregating fleets in certain hubs, where possible. It cuts down the need for spares and consolidates pilot bases.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Too many, even, by some accounts.
Which is a ridiculous thought.

Originally Posted by Hollinger Clarke
I'm guessing that is working a triangle over CDG.

IMHO, AA doesn't make (much, if any) money on ticket revenue on the Hawaii routes, which are almost exclusively leisure markets. These routes operate so that AAdvantage members can redeem their miles to go on vacation, as well as for US Military (to move troops to/from the islands) and for cAArgo. Cargo is a big business for airlines on transoceanic routes. In fact, I've heard that there are some routes where an airline could operate a flight with the passenger cabin empty and still make money because of cargo!

The concept that Hawaii is unprofitable is simply untrue. Hawaii is never a home run, but is always a solid single, double or walk, to use baseball references.

Originally Posted by pkerr
Depends on how you value the aircraft's features.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by mktozd
Have been hearing rumblings that AA might resume ORD to to HNL service? Has anyone seen anything? It has been tough since AA cut its Hawaiian offerings.
When is this supposed to happen? :-)
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by bhuwan
When is this supposed to happen? :-)
Only if United cancels their ORD-HNL service.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Austin787
Only if United cancels their ORD-HNL service.
huh? There's no reason for them to be mutually exclusive
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
huh? There's no reason for them to be mutually exclusive
I think Austin787 might have been referring to AA's recent gun-shyness when it comes to competing against the other legacies, particularly with UA at ORD. They seem to prefer to operate "secondary" long-haul routes where they face no or little competition. "Primary" routes, such as ORD-LHR and CDG, will of course stick, but take a look at the history of their "secondary" routes. They launched ORD-BCN this year and will launch ORD-VCE next year, routes on which no other carrier operates nonstop. Meanwhile, since 2010 or so they've ceased "secondary" service to FRA, BRU, and HNL (routes that UA operate).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.