FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Military Leave Cancelled - GF has a nonrefundable ticket. Any Options? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1860584-military-leave-cancelled-gf-has-nonrefundable-ticket-any-options.html)

fholt Aug 12, 2017 1:21 pm

Military Leave Cancelled - GF has a nonrefundable ticket. Any Options?

That's the situation my daughter is in. She bought a ticket to HNL to see her BF who's deployed there. With current events such as they are, this week his leave was cancelled and extra training scheduled. (travel was to have been in a few weeks)

It'd be nice, but she's not expecting a refund. But I question what her options are. It's pretty certain that she won't have confirmed dates to reschedule by then (less change fee most likely) so will she get a credit (less CF) to reschedule later? Or use against other travel for some period? Or what?

I know most of the carriers are pretty good with the military - but I suspect being a GF doesn't really buy your way into such treatment.

Advice welcome, Thanks.

JonNYC Aug 12, 2017 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by fholt (Post 28681376)
...I know most of the carriers are pretty good with the military - but I suspect being a GF doesn't really buy your way into such treatment.

That's the problem. If the passenger themselves was in the military/active duty, would be a different story.

JDiver Aug 12, 2017 1:54 pm

You say "travel was to have been in a few weeks". Things like this can change very quickly, and in "a few weeks" things could be settled. Or not, of course. So, one could gamble.

Another option, now or later, is to call and ask. The likely answer is "no", given it's not a situation where the ticket holder had leave canceled or even is military family, but I won't pretend to speak for an AA agent - nor am I familiar with the detailed fare rules of the specific fare purchased.

GNRMatt Aug 12, 2017 2:21 pm

Rather than ask for a refund, I'd ask for a waiver of the change fee based on the circumstances. I think AA may be much more amenable to that. Then she could fly out to Hawaii during a better timeframe.

isle-hawg Aug 12, 2017 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by GNRMatt (Post 28681614)
Rather than ask for a refund, I'd ask for a waiver of the change fee based on the circumstances. I think AA may be much more amenable to that. Then she could fly out to Hawaii during a better timeframe.

I agree with this sound advice. AA is very supportive of the military these days. I would explain the situation to AA making it clear you understand the rules (which means she has to pay the change fee) but appreciate their consideration in waiving the fee this time based on current real world circumstances.

If her boyfriend can first get her a copy of his CANX leave request that you can send in via e-mail attachment it can only help.