Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flying (domestic, mid-con) F but denied lounge access!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying (domestic, mid-con) F but denied lounge access!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I hate stupid posts like this. So, with the "un-bundling" of bags and other things did airfare come down?
I know many people like to say it hasn't, because it feels that way, but I believe it has. Routes with "unbundled" carriers like Spirit or Frontier have driven prices down dramatically. Not as much as JetBlue and Southwest, which are relatively full-service, but still down a lot. Just look at markets like SEA-DEN, LAX-IAH, etc. These flights are all under $100 on many days.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by mdj1
Well I've never flown first / up the front and been denied access to a lounge of some description.

i will never waste my money on AA first ever again, please tell me why anyone would waste money on a premium ticket for a non premium service!

i might as well just have flown with a low cost carrier. The o let advantage for paying 4 times the cost is a slightly larger seat. An absolute joke!
If you had Emerald or Sapphire status on a oneworld airline, e.g. BAEC Silver or Gold, you'd have been admitted. But in the U.S., AA doesn't afford access to domestic, Caribbean, Canada or Mexico (other than MEX) to First or Business flyers unless they're flying on a three class transcontinental (773 or A321T, NYC and LAX, SFO or MIA-LAX.

Or you could be an Admirals Club member, or purchase one day pass. Next time, read oneworld lounge access rules before you assume too much. link

oneworld lounge access for First Class or Business Class customers (extract)

The following exceptions apply:

1. First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access.

At least you had vastly better seats than the joke Club Europe affords. (MUCH larger seat, significantly greater seat pitch.)

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 12, 2017 at 1:46 pm
Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
The o let advantage for paying 4 times the cost is a slightly larger seat. An absolute joke!
It could be worse. You could be flying on BA with their block-the-middle-seat economy class seats in "Eurobusiness". How much extra room do you get in that seat? For some reason, I can't find any post by you complaining about the BA "business" seat situation for European flights.
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Don't let it ruin your day, you'll soon be at the Happiest Place on Earth!
Yes, back at MCO, leaving the hellhole of "happiness".

Last edited by DoTheBartMan; Aug 12, 2017 at 2:13 pm
Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by DoTheBartMan
It could be worse. You could be flying on BA with their block-the-middle-seat economy class seats in "Eurobusiness". How much extra room do you get in that seat? For some reason, I can't find any post by you complaining about the BA "business" seat situation for European flights.
While I agree the European business class model is a joke overall except if you get a bulkhead and get the legroom plus a meal on short flights. Let's face it on today's US domestic F there isn't any legroom to speak of especially when the person in front of you reclines. That being said if you don't score a bulk head on a european carrier's business class your screwed.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I hate stupid posts like this. So, with the "un-bundling" of bags and other things did airfare come down?
Yes, very much so. Airfare is around the cheapest it's ever been, and a lot of that trend came with unbundling.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by rjw242
Yes, very much so. Airfare is around the cheapest it's ever been, and a lot of that trend came with unbundling.
It is due to competition. But the only new airlines have been LCC, I do not know of new full-service carriers.
Did that all business class airline flying from NYC to CDG cause business fares to come down? I think QR did
Grog likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I've been flying regularly for 20 years, and a U.S. domestic first class ticket has never gotten one access to an airline lounge on AA, UA, DL, NW, CO, US, and so forth, unless I'm mistaken. This is documented quite openly on the airline web sites. I wouldn't call the OP stupid, but one should always research before buying. I still do this today given rules change, certain clubs have different rules, etc.
UAPremierGuy likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by JonNYC
...It's no different on other major U.S. carriers on non-flagship/transcon/etc routes.

Lounge access is not included.

Period.
Unless flying Alaska Airlines, which is the lone exception to JonNYC's rule.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Bowgie
Unless flying Alaska Airlines, which is the lone exception to JonNYC's rule.
"Major" wouldn't include Alaska (or VX which had a similar lounge policy before their merger).
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:11 pm

No matter what you think about the rule, it's a rule that's been around for ages and applies to pretty much every airline in the U.S.. There's little merit in expressing shock and outrage about something like that. It's like an American writing a rant on the UK sub-forum about the fact that they drive on the 'wrong' side over there.

In my experience, U.S airline lounges are already often overcrowded and without any sense of exclusivity, so one can hardly accuse them of making it all that hard to access those lounges. It's just that they prefer certain credit card users over domestic F flyers.
JonNYC and trooper like this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
No matter what you think about the rule, it's a rule that's been around for ages and applies to pretty much every airline in the U.S.. There's little merit in expressing shock and outrage about something like that. It's like an American writing a rant on the UK sub-forum about the fact that they drive on the 'wrong' side over there.
Actually, just because something has been that way for "ages" does not mean it cannot be ridiculous. There are many ridiculous things things US airlines do that are just accepted here, which, if you take a step back , are simply ridiculous. Like flight attendants treating passengers as "cattle" and yelling like drill sergeants. Or defining certain nearby countries as not international and taking away benefits on those flights (what if LH defined Poland as not international cause it is so close?) Is it not ridiculous you have to look at which airline you are flying and which part of Latin America it is before you can determinr if you are on an "international" flight?
Grog likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA EP
So because u don't want to pay for AC membership or one day pass or get the correc AAdvantage cc it is ridiculous?

I
Actually, just because something has been that way for "ages" does not mean it cannot be ridiculous. There are many ridiculous things things US airlines do that are just accepted here, which, if you take a step back , are simply ridiculous. Like flight attendants treating passengers as "cattle" and yelling like drill sergeants. Or defining certain nearby countries as not international and taking away benefits on those flights (what if LH defined Poland as not international cause it is so close?) Is it not ridiculous you have to look at which airline you are flying and which part of Latin America it is before you can determinr if you are on an "international" flight?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
So because u don't want to pay for AC membership or one day pass or get the correc AAdvantage cc it is ridiculous?

I
Because all the rest of the countries do stuff differently, and you are the US, means you are right?
Grog likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Well I've never flown first / up the front and been denied access to a lounge of some description.

i will never waste my money on AA first ever again, please tell me why anyone would waste money on a premium ticket for a non premium service!

i might as well just have flown with a low cost carrier. The o let advantage for paying 4 times the cost is a slightly larger seat. An absolute joke!
Think they have a different model to the rest of the world sadly. I get your fustrations and anger though.

Last edited by wolf72; Aug 12, 2017 at 4:53 pm
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA EP
Business models. Simple as that. Just like the US carriers implemented complementary upgrades on many routes. Other carriers/countries didn't have that. And SWUs. Is it ridiculous that other countries/carries don't have these?

differ business models. Different "amenities". The advent of the alliances helped to bring allot of differing business models and amenities together under the umbrella of simplified/more seemless international travel. The key being international travel.

Because all the rest of the countries do stuff differently, and you are the US, means you are right?
JonNYC and trooper like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.