Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OK to change to pyjamas in the lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2017, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by fly747first
What's next, you are gonna put slippers on to board the plane? God, I miss the old days of flying when people maintained a certain decorum to fly.
And I miss the old days when AA provided slippers.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: US Gold
You know, other than a few people here, I really don't think most people care what anyone else is wearing on the plane. They're too busy caring where their luggage is, how comfortable their seat is, whether the food is tolerable, whether the plane on time, whether the IFE works, whether they've lost track of others they're traveling with, and whether the person next to them is annoying. They care about the weather, the water, the state of the plane, the annoying pilot's announcements. I have never seen anyone get off a plane and say, "The flight was fine, we arrived on time, the service was wonderful, but I'd never fly that airline/route again because the other passengers just don't know how to dress."

wg
Old Aug 6, 2017, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by wendyg
You know, other than a few people here, I really don't think most people care what anyone else is wearing on the plane. They're too busy caring where their luggage is, how comfortable their seat is, whether the food is tolerable, whether the plane on time, whether the IFE works, whether they've lost track of others they're traveling with, and whether the person next to them is annoying. They care about the weather, the water, the state of the plane, the annoying pilot's announcements. I have never seen anyone get off a plane and say, "The flight was fine, we arrived on time, the service was wonderful, but I'd never fly that airline/route again because the other passengers just don't know how to dress."

wg
^^^
Old Aug 6, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: SPG, Rapid Rewards, HHonors.
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Flying from LHR to South America via JFK in C next week. What I really feel like doing is having a shower in the Flagship Lounge at JFK, change into my Lufthansa pyjamas (I'd much rather change in a spacious shower room than in an airplane toilet), and walk down to the gate in that and slippers, with a view toward drifting into sleep soon after takeoff. But I've never seen anybody do that, so even though I'm reaching an age when I don't really care that much, I'm hesitant about this plan. Thoughts? Too much?
If it makes you comfortable and happy I say go for it!
Old Aug 6, 2017, 9:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Does LH still whisk F pax directly from the lounge to the aircraft in a Mercedes?

If so, then the OP can be excused... The way LH did it (perhaps they still do), no one in the airport, or pretty much elsewhere, would even see an F class pax between the lounge and plane.

Back when US was in *A, many FT'ers redeemed miles for LH F so we saw many reports of this on the US forum.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by aztimm
Does LH still whisk F pax directly from the lounge to the aircraft in a Mercedes?

If so, then the OP can be excused... The way LH did it (perhaps they still do), no one in the airport, or pretty much elsewhere, would even see an F class pax between the lounge and plane.

Back when US was in *A, many FT'ers redeemed miles for LH F so we saw many reports of this on the US forum.
I have been at the FRA F Terminal countless times and you consistently see pax in business casual attire as a minimum there.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
You could be like the attractive 20-something lady on my LAX-HKG flight and just change at your seat while barely trying to keep the duvet over you...

Much less was left to the imagination than you might think

-----------

Seriously, though--I always change onboard. I enjoy dressing up for flights, though, and I don't see it as preposterous if people show up in decent-looking PJs for late-night departures.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EXP
In my part of the world people sometimes show up to work in their PJs. Flying out of SFO, I'm just grateful if the other pax show up wearing anything at all
Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: none
For the duration of the flight you're going to be with a bunch of perfect strangers that you've never seen before and will likely never see again, and you're questioning whether before the flight you should wear pajamas in front of other perfect strangers that you will likely never see again. Is there something about being on the plane that makes it different?

Do whatever makes YOU feel comfortable. The fact that you even ask on this forum - in front of still more strangers - means you probably aren't totally at ease and you want someone else to say it's OK.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I would refer you to your forum name if you change before the flight!

Joking aside I just wouldn't. PJs just seems a step too far for me. Just nip into the toilet before the floor gets too wet from the "I need to get my prostate checked out" brigade and you will be fine.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
As long as everything is covered up, wear whatever you like to board. No one will bat an eye.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Yes, there was actually a day when passengers dressed appropriately!

Originally Posted by fly747first
God, I miss the old days of flying when people maintained a certain decorum to fly.
Remember the "good old days" when passengers actually dressed better, sometimes even more formally, than GAs, FAs, FDs, but now it seems that anything goes - and some folks even wonder why they get treated disdainfully!

Gentlemen wore shirts and ties and jackets while ladies actually wore dresses or skirt and jacket suits.

Flying was fun and civilised then. There was no overbooking and passengers actually called the airline to reconfirm reservations at each stopover.

Perhaps one of the shocks in travel today is that so very often the worst dressed pax are in J or even F, God forbid!
Old Aug 6, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Isn't there a thread in TravelBuzz for people to reminisce about the alleged "good old days" that are never coming back? Everything that's relevant to both AA and the OP's specific question seems to have been said.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 12:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Why SLIPPERS?

USE flip-flops - now acceptable at formal events
Old Aug 6, 2017, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by brewdog11
You could be like the attractive 20-something lady on my LAX-HKG flight and just change at your seat while barely trying to keep the duvet over you...

Much less was left to the imagination than you might think
I haven't got the best imagination. I think I'll need some pix.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.